What causes rev.gramps,v to be updated

liderbug
I can use rev.gramps,v to display a dynamic html pedigree page but I can't figure out how it gets updated.

Tks

Re: What causes rev.gramps,v to be updated

Stéphane Charette-2
On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 16:12, liderbug <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I can use rev.gramps,v to display a dynamic html pedigree page but I can't
> figure out how it gets updated.

I cannot figure out what you mean by this message.  Can you provide
more details?

Stéphane

Re: What causes rev.gramps,v to be updated

liderbug

Stéphane Charette-2 wrote
On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 16:12, liderbug <chuck@blackforest-co.com> wrote:

> I can use rev.gramps,v to display a dynamic html pedigree page but I can't
> figure out how it gets updated.

I cannot figure out what you mean by this message.  Can you provide
more details?

Stéphane

For our homepage.
I'm putting together a web pedigree script (php) and that file looked to be what I was looking
for as the DB for the page(s).  I loaded a new ged file, did some updates etc but the
timestamp on r.g.v never changed.  So to get things going I've done an export.csv -> a
script -> mysql and the page pulls from there.  It would be nice if I could just pull from r.g.v.
I've got the chart working just fine, adding popup Info boxes (nicetitle boxes).  Haven't done
any frosting or candles yet.  But the basic cake is all there and fast.

Re: What causes rev.gramps,v to be updated

Doug-11
liderbug wrote:
> I can use rev.gramps,v to display a dynamic html pedigree page but I can't
> figure out how it gets updated.
>
> Tks

[With acknowledgments to Benny!]

If you have RCS (revision control system) on your system, you can
archive various states of your gramps tree while you're working on it.

The record of those archived states goes into rev,gramps,v.

If you export a tree and delete it, all its archived states are lost -
unless you save that tree's rev.gramps,v file somewhere.

Then if you re-import that previously deleted tree and copy back its
rev.gramps,v to the correct file in ~/.gramps/gramspdb/ , the archives
are also restored.

HTH

Doug

Re: What causes rev.gramps,v to be updated

David Relson
On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 11:19:36 +0000
Doug wrote:

> liderbug wrote:
> > I can use rev.gramps,v to display a dynamic html pedigree page but
> > I can't figure out how it gets updated.
> >
> > Tks
> >

> [With acknowledgments to Benny!]
>
> If you have RCS (revision control system) on your system, you can
> archive various states of your gramps tree while you're working on it.
>
> The record of those archived states goes into rev,gramps,v.
>
> If you export a tree and delete it, all its archived states are lost
> - unless you save that tree's rev.gramps,v file somewhere.
>
> Then if you re-import that previously deleted tree and copy back its
> rev.gramps,v to the correct file in ~/.gramps/gramspdb/ , the
> archives are also restored.
>
> HTH
>
> Doug

Further, if your directory has a sub-directory named RCS, the *,v files
will be in the RCS sub-directory.

HTH,

David

Re: What causes rev.gramps,v to be updated

liderbug
Ah soooooo... thought that ".v" looked familiar. Ok, rethinking.  Let me change the question a bit then.  From what I can see there is no way to have a real time web pedigree interface on my home web page. Or is there and I just haven't found out how to do it.  Would be nice to be able to link the pedigree routine in Gramps off the web page... short of that I'm working on my own ft.php.

Thanks
bug

Re: What causes rev.gramps,v to be updated

DS Blank
On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 9:04 AM, liderbug <[hidden email]> wrote:

Ah soooooo... thought that ".v" looked familiar. Ok, rethinking.  Let me
change the question a bit then.  From what I can see there is no way to have
a real time web pedigree interface on my home web page. Or is there and I
just haven't found out how to do it.  Would be nice to be able to link the
pedigree routine in Gramps off the web page... short of that I'm working on
my own ft.php.

I think that there will be some major progress this year in making GRAMPS data available live from a website. There was a proof-of-concept recently posted using a GRAMPS XML file. I'm also working on an SQL export, and will also begin some Python-web code to allow browsing, and some initial thoughts on getting (and merging) suggested changes to a primary GRAMPS database.

BTW, Python makes a very nice embedded language in a web server. I'll be working in Python, not PHP.

Stay tuned!

-Doug

Thanks
bug