What directories are used by gramps

JRSibert
I've been using gramps happily for several years; currently using v5.1.1
on linux mint 19.2. I have noticed that gramps seems to stash away files
in various places including in my home directory, in a subdirectory in
my home directory (.gramps), in the directory where I keep most of my
genealogical files. To further complicate matters, I have created a
separate directory to store backups. I'm confused by this apparent
proliferation of directories because it complicates the strategy I use
to back up my file system.

So can any one point me to documentation of the the gramps directory
struture?

Thanks,

John

Re: What directories are used by gramps

Brad Rogers
On Tue, 7 Jan 2020 07:53:06 -0800
John Sibert <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello John,

>I'm confused by this apparent proliferation of directories because it

Gramps is hardly unique in this.  Particularly in the Linus world.  It is
not uncommon for software to keep config and data directories separate.
Further, any software that needs directories specified for extra user
data (e.g. media files and backups), will often require the use of even
more directories.

--
 Regards  _
People stare like they've seen a ghost

Re: What directories are used by gramps

I suspect that the documentation, like the files, is in multiple places.
I think you have found the likely suspects for places files are stored, at least if Gramps is run with default settings.
Gramps default location for backups and exports is the home directory in Linux, "C:\Users\you" for Windows.  Backups can be changed in "Edit/Preferences/Family Tree/Backup path".  Exports are changed in the exports dialog, and remembered for future use.

The "~/.gramps" (Linux systems) and "C:\Users\you\AppData\Roaming\gramps" (Windows systems) is the place where settings and addons get stored unless you override with an environment variable. The default location of the actual database files is also there under "~/.gramps/grampsdb" and "C:\Users\you\AppData\Roaming\gramps grampsdb".  This is also changeable with "Edit/Preferences/Family Tree/Family Tree database path.

Use of environment variables can change the above defaults (GRAMPSHOME, USERPROFILE[Windows], APPDATA [Windows], HOME[Linux]).  https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php/Gramps_5.1_Wiki_Manual_-_Command_Line#Environment_variables

Media files are wherever you put them.

Paul C.

On 07/01/2020 15:53, John Sibert wrote:
So can any one point me to documentation of the the gramps directory struture?

The directory structure can be configured using environment variables:

https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php/Gramps_5.1_Wiki_Manual_-_Command_Line#Environment_variables

By default, configuration files are stored in the ~/.gramps directory and the database files are stored in the ~/.gramps/grampsdb sub-directory.

The base path for relative media paths defaults to your home directory.

Reports and exports can be stored anywhere you like, but I believe that the file chooser dialog defaults to your home directory.

Re: What directories are used by gramps

JRSibert
Thanks Nick. The link was helpful.

I'm revising the way I do backups using rsync. Since I often exclude
~/.*, I could be missing whatever  is in my ~/.gramps directory.  If any
gramps users have backup strategies they like, I'd like to hear about them.

Thanks,

John

On 1/7/20 8:50 AM, Nick Hall via Gramps-users wrote:

> On 07/01/2020 15:53, John Sibert wrote:
>> So can any one point me to documentation of the the gramps directory
>> struture?
>
> The directory structure can be configured using environment variables:
>
> https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php/Gramps_5.1_Wiki_Manual_-_Command_Line#Environment_variables
>
> By default, configuration files are stored in the ~/.gramps directory
> and the database files are stored in the ~/.gramps/grampsdb sub-directory.
>
> The base path for relative media paths defaults to your home directory.
>
> Reports and exports can be stored anywhere you like, but I believe
> that the file chooser dialog defaults to your home directory.
>

> Nick.

Re: What directories are used by gramps

Peter Merchant
Every time  I exit gramps it creates a backup in my /peterm/ancestry/gramps_backup directory which does get backed up when I do backups  using freefilesync. I do not exclude the ~/.* as I am not that skilled at filtering my backups so I am saving the current files twice in my backups.

Peter

On 10/01/2020 21:07, John Sibert wrote:
> Thanks Nick. The link was helpful.
>
> I'm revising the way I do backups using rsync. Since I often exclude ~/.*, I could be missing whatever  is in my ~/.gramps directory.  If any gramps users have backup strategies they like, I'd like to hear about them.
>
> Thanks,
>
> John

Re: What directories are used by gramps

That excludes all your config files. I'd make targeted exclusions,
including, but not limited to ~/.cache.