Quantcast

What happened to the Census Gramplet?

Harvey Nimmo
What have I missed?

After having to make a fresh installation of my linux, I reinstalled
gramps and imported the addons. But the Census gramplet is missing,
disappeared in a puff of smoke? It is also missing in the list of third
party add-ons. Does that mean that it is now discontinued? ...just like
that? Have I slept through something?

I have a very substantial amount of data from the British Censuses in
my database. Does anyone know how to recover this situation?

Cheers
Harvey

Re: What happened to the Census Gramplet?

Brad Rogers
On Thu, 11 May 2017 20:20:50 +0200
Harvey Nimmo <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Harvey,

>disappeared in a puff of smoke? It is also missing in the list of third
>party add-ons. Does that mean that it is now discontinued? ...just like

Pretty much.

>that? Have I slept through something?

Apparently.

>I have a very substantial amount of data from the British Censuses in
>my database. Does anyone know how to recover this situation?

Install its successor, the Forms Gramplet.  Once you set up your sources
to use it, all your carefully entered census data will still be there.

The sources need an Attribute of the type Form.  The census years are
the same as for the Census Gramplet, so UK1871, CY1901, etc.

The Forms Gramplet can also do more, see the Gramps Wiki;
https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Form_Addons

--
 Regards  _
Going round on the Circle Line trying to find a way out

On Thu, 2017-05-11 at 19:45 +0100, Brad Rogers wrote:

> On Thu, 11 May 2017 20:20:50 +0200
> Harvey Nimmo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello Harvey,
>

> > disappeared in a puff of smoke? It is also missing in the list of
> > third
> > party add-ons. Does that mean that it is now discontinued? ...just
> > like
>
> Pretty much.
>

> > that? Have I slept through something?
>
> Apparently.
>

> > I have a very substantial amount of data from the British Censuses
> > in
> > my database. Does anyone know how to recover this situation?
>
> Install its successor, the Forms Gramplet.  Once you set up your
> sources
> to use it, all your carefully entered census data will still be
> there.
>
> The sources need an Attribute of the type Form.  The census years are
> the same as for the Census Gramplet, so UK1871, CY1901, etc.
>
> The Forms Gramplet can also do more, see the Gramps Wiki;
> https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Form_Addons

Thanks, Brad. I didn't expect it to be so easy. It seems to have
worked, although some of the data are messed up...census data allocated
to wrong people.

Fortunately, I had been trying to use the Form for some German
Censuses, so I was aware of the possibility. Just did not expect the
Census Gramplet to disappear so suddenly...but probably not without
warning ;-)

Cheers
Harvey

Re: What happened to the Census Gramplet?

Brad Rogers
On Thu, 11 May 2017 21:14:32 +0200
Harvey Nimmo <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Harvey,

>Thanks, Brad. I didn't expect it to be so easy. It seems to have

YW.

>worked, although some of the data are messed up...census data allocated
>to wrong people.

That _may_ indicate errors in your selection of person, rather than a
fault of the Form Gramplet.  I can't be 100% certain, obviously.  I
mention it as a possibility simply because I had no such trouble when I
switched from the Census to the Form Gramplet.

>Fortunately, I had been trying to use the Form for some German
>Censuses, so I was aware of the possibility. Just did not expect the
>Census Gramplet to disappear so suddenly...but probably not without
>warning ;-)

There's been mention of it on the list over the past couple (or so) of
years, asking much the same question as you.  Of course, not everyone
reads the list all the time, and searching list archives can be a right
royal PITA sometimes;  words like 'Form', 'Census' and 'Gramplet' appear
many, *many* times.   :-)

--
 Regards  _
Where the grass is green and the girls are pretty

Re: What happened to the Census Gramplet?

Nick Hall
On 11/05/17 22:27, Brad Rogers wrote:
[...]

The Form addon is just an extension of the Census addon.  I added the facility to define other types of form in addition to a census form.  This is why the name changed, but the underlying code is much the same.

However, the editor now gets passed a citation instead of an event.  This will cause a problem if you have more than one event per citation.

On Thu, 2017-05-11 at 22:46 +0100, Nick Hall wrote:
[...]

Nick.

I hope I am misunderstanding you on that one! There are stacks of events per census citation: birth, census, occupation, residence,  all under the one citation and then for several people.

On 11/05/17 23:08, Harvey Nimmo wrote:
> I hope I am misunderstanding you on that one! There are stacks of
> events per census citation: birth, census, occupation, residence,  all
> under the one citation and then for several people.

Yes, but hopefully there is only one census event.

The form gramplet loops through all events for the active person.  It
then tries to find a form definition on a source for one of its
citations.  If the form is the same type as the event, then the event is
listed in the gramplet.

When the user edits a form, the citation is passed to the form editor.
The editor finds the event from the citation.  If there is more than one
event with the correct type then the first one is chosen.  This may be
incorrect.

The old census gramplet passed the event instead of the citation.

Re: What happened to the Census Gramplet?

Philippe Couka
Hi all

I wish I could make this census work, but I can't figure out how to succeed so far:

- I've got sources with the "Form" attribute and key "UK1841"
- I've got former census made with version 3.4.9, which created citations related to census sources, and census events for each person involved
- I have the form gramplet installed in the bottom bar in individual view
- I can see all attributes created by the former census in the event reference editor, opened inside the person editor

​I can't get anything in the form gramplet​; just a "new" and a "edit" button, under a blank window... and I can't create a new census or use a former census with new persons

What should I do?

Kind regards

Philippe Couka

On Fri, 2017-05-12 at 00:15 +0100, Nick Hall wrote:

> On 11/05/17 23:08, Harvey Nimmo wrote:
> >
> > I hope I am misunderstanding you on that one! There are stacks of
> > events per census citation: birth, census, occupation,
> > residence,  all
> > under the one citation and then for several people.
> >
> Yes, but hopefully there is only one census event.
>
> The form gramplet loops through all events for the active
> person.  It
> then tries to find a form definition on a source for one of its
> citations.  If the form is the same type as the event, then the event
> is
> listed in the gramplet.
>
> When the user edits a form, the citation is passed to the form
> editor.
> The editor finds the event from the citation.  If there is more than
> one
> event with the correct type then the first one is chosen.  This may
> be
> incorrect.
>
> The old census gramplet passed the event instead of the citation.
>
> Nick.

Another unhappy consequence of this switch to forms is the loss of
custom forms. I had created some forms and forgot about them when I
made the update. Because the custom.xml file was in the (hidden)
.gramps folder, it was not backed up. When I made the upgrade, of
course the file was lost. So, presumably, there are form data in the
database. Any idea how I can get at them?

On 12/05/17 10:48, Harvey Nimmo wrote:
> Another unhappy consequence of this switch to forms is the loss of
> custom forms. I had created some forms and forgot about them when I
> made the update. Because the custom.xml file was in the (hidden)
> .gramps folder, it was not backed up. When I made the upgrade, of
> course the file was lost. So, presumably, there are form data in the
> database. Any idea how I can get at them?

All forms are stored in the database using the standard Gramps data model.

The form definitions are stored in the xml files.  Old census
definitions are not compatible with the new form definitions, but I have
a script to upgrade them.

On 12/05/17 07:39, Philippe Couka wrote:
> What should I do?

Check the "Form" attributes in your sources.

On Fri, 2017-05-12 at 15:20 +0100, Nick Hall wrote:

> On 12/05/17 10:48, Harvey Nimmo wrote:
> >
> > Another unhappy consequence of this switch to forms is the loss of
> > custom forms. I had created some forms and forgot about them when I
> > made the update. Because the custom.xml file was in the (hidden)
> > .gramps folder, it was not backed up. When I made the upgrade, of
> > course the file was lost. So, presumably, there are form data in
> > the
> > database. Any idea how I can get at them?
>
> All forms are stored in the database using the standard Gramps data
> model.
>
> The form definitions are stored in the xml files.  Old census
> definitions are not compatible with the new form definitions, but I
> have
> a script to upgrade them.
>
> Nick.

Unfortunately, my previous remark has nothing, strictly speaking, to do
with the loss of census gramplet, so it might have been misunderstood.

Long before the recent i new nstallation of Linux and Gramps, I had
created about five or six custom forms, primarily to handle German
Census data. My new installation of Linux and Gramps has (of course!)
not ported the custom forms file that was buried deep in the (hidden)
.gramps folder. All my backups had been xml exports, but not a gramps
backup, so that, I believe, the data that populated the forms must be
in the database somewhere, and I would like to recover them somehow and
thereby populate some new 'custom' forms. Do you have any idea how I
could do that?

Re: What happened to the Census Gramplet?

Brad Rogers
On Fri, 12 May 2017 17:43:27 +0200
Harvey Nimmo <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Harvey,

>in the database somewhere, and I would like to recover them somehow and
>thereby populate some new 'custom' forms. Do you have any idea how I
>could do that?

If you can, copy your custom.xml file to your new installation as
'~/.gramps/gramps42/plugins/Form/custom.xml'.  Alternatively, recreate
your custom form file.  Assuming you're using a Gramps 4.2 variant, of
course.  If not, then change the gramps42 directory to suit.

The attributes your custom forms generated ought to still exist, so
should populate the relevant form events or at least give you pointers
to field names if you need to recreate the custom.xml file.

--
 Regards  _
Well well well, you just can't tell

On 12/05/17 17:29, Brad Rogers wrote:
> The attributes your custom forms generated ought to still exist, so
> should populate the relevant form events or at least give you pointers
> to field names if you need to recreate the custom.xml file.

Yes.  The headings are stored as event attributes and the columns as
event reference attributes.

On Fri, 2017-05-12 at 18:49 +0100, Nick Hall wrote:

> On 12/05/17 17:29, Brad Rogers wrote:
> >
> > The attributes your custom forms generated ought to still exist, so
> > should populate the relevant form events or at least give you
> > pointers
> > to field names if you need to recreate the custom.xml file.
>
> Yes.  The headings are stored as event attributes and the columns as
> event reference attributes.
>
> Nick.

What do you mean by event reference attributes? Where can I see them? I
found the event attributes but not the event reference attributes.

On 12/05/17 19:30, Harvey Nimmo wrote:
> What do you mean by event reference attributes? Where can I see them?

Edit a person.  Then, in the "Events" tab of the person editor, edit an
event.

In the "Reference information" section of the event reference editor
click on the "Attributes" tab.

Re: What happened to the Census Gramplet?

Brad Rogers
On Fri, 12 May 2017 20:30:40 +0200
Harvey Nimmo <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Harvey,

>What do you mean by event reference attributes? Where can I see them? I

Event Reference Attributes are the attributes listed in the top portion
(Reference Information) part of the Census Event window.  They contain
all the data pertaining to a specific individual (name, as listed, age
marital status, etc.)  The Event Attributes are the bits that refer to
the event itself (Parish, Town Village or Hamlet, etc.) stored in the
lower portion of the event window.

--
 Regards  _
I must be hallucinating, watching angels celebrating

On Fri, 2017-05-12 at 19:46 +0100, Brad Rogers wrote:

> On Fri, 12 May 2017 20:30:40 +0200
> Harvey Nimmo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello Harvey,
>

> > What do you mean by event reference attributes? Where can I see
> > them? I
>
> Event Reference Attributes are the attributes listed in the top
> portion
> (Reference Information) part of the Census Event window.  They
> contain
> all the data pertaining to a specific individual (name, as listed,
> age
> marital status, etc.)  The Event Attributes are the bits that refer
> the event itself (Parish, Town Village or Hamlet, etc.) stored in the
> lower portion of the event window.

Many thanks, you wizards! I found them!
Am I to understand that if I create custom forms with exactly these
headings, my data will appear again? (as if by magic!)

On 12/05/17 20:18, Harvey Nimmo wrote:
> Many thanks, you wizards! I found them!
> Am I to understand that if I create custom forms with exactly these
> headings, my data will appear again? (as if by magic!)

Yes.

Re: What happened to the Census Gramplet?

Philippe Couka
Hi Nick

Checked; here is a picture of one source, I can't see anything wrong

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4Y_pzUlEr52MHRxYjFHSURUNTQ/view?usp=sharing

Best regards

Philippe Couka