What's the easiest way to produce a text file surname list of blood related people to the home person?

What's the easiest way to produce a text file surname list of blood related people to the home person?

Mike Toogood
What's the easiest way to produce a text file surname list of blood related people to the home person?

Only one instance of each surname to appear in list.

Mike

Re: What's the easiest way to produce a text file surname list of blood related people to the home person?

Tim Lyons
Administrator
Mike Toogood wrote
What's the easiest way to produce a text file surname list of blood related people to the home person? Only one instance of each surname to appear in list.Mike
Go to People view, in the sidebar, create a filter to show only 'blood related people to the home person'. Find using that filter.

Click on Family Trees-> Export View..., enter a file name and click on save.

This will produce a csv file with the 'group as' and name (among other fields).

Check whether the first column contains the surnames you want, otherwise you may need to change the name display in preferences, to get what you want in the "Name" column, and repeat the export.

Use your favorite Unix tools or editor (you don't say what OS you are running, nor the version of Gramps - both would be helpful), to convert the csv file to a list with only one instance of each name.

Sorry I can't suggest a simpler way to do it. There may well be, perhaps someone else will come up with something. Otherwise, if you are stuck, come back to this mailing list.

Tim.

Re: What's the easiest way to produce a text file surname list of blood related people to the home person?

DS Blank
On Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 1:06 PM, Tim Lyons <[hidden email]> wrote:
Mike Toogood wrote
> What's the easiest way to produce a text file surname list of blood
> related people to the home person? Only one instance of each surname to
> appear in list.Mike

Go to People view, in the sidebar, create a filter to show only 'blood
related people to the home person'. Find using that filter.

Once you have that filter in place, you can:

1. use the Surname Cloud Gramplet from addons. You can copy/paste those as text (space delimited). The View Config button allows changing number of surnames shown.

2. use the Statistics Gramplet, click on Unique Surnames. Gramps 4.2 allows copy from list.

There may be other ways in Gramps as well...

-Doug

On 13 Jul 2015, at 18:54, Doug Blank wrote:

On Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 1:06 PM, Tim Lyons <[hidden email]> wrote:
Mike Toogood wrote
> What's the easiest way to produce a text file surname list of blood
> related people to the home person? Only one instance of each surname to
> appear in list.Mike

Go to People view, in the sidebar, create a filter to show only 'blood
related people to the home person'. Find using that filter.

Once you have that filter in place, you can:

1. use the Surname Cloud Gramplet from addons. You can copy/paste those as text (space delimited). The View Config button allows changing number of surnames shown.

2. use the Statistics Gramplet, click on Unique Surnames. Gramps 4.2 allows copy from list.

I think both Surname Cloud and Statistics give results based on all people in the Family Tree, not on the filtered information (at least it does for me!)

Tim.

On Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 2:10 PM, Tim Lyons <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 13 Jul 2015, at 18:54, Doug Blank wrote:

On Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 1:06 PM, Tim Lyons <[hidden email]> wrote:
Mike Toogood wrote
> What's the easiest way to produce a text file surname list of blood
> related people to the home person? Only one instance of each surname to
> appear in list.Mike

Go to People view, in the sidebar, create a filter to show only 'blood
related people to the home person'. Find using that filter.

Once you have that filter in place, you can:

1. use the Surname Cloud Gramplet from addons. You can copy/paste those as text (space delimited). The View Config button allows changing number of surnames shown.

2. use the Statistics Gramplet, click on Unique Surnames. Gramps 4.2 allows copy from list.

I think both Surname Cloud and Statistics give results based on all people in the Family Tree, not on the filtered information (at least it does for me!)

Yes, Tim is correct. To use these gramplets, you'd need to export your filtered data, and import back into a new tree. A bit of work, but then you can do it all in Gramps.

Experts only: In Gramps 5.0 (and some earlier versions of Gramps) you can paste the following (everything between the triple-quotes) into the Python Evaluation Gramplet. The code will construct a bloodline filter on the fly, and then use the proxied database as the actual database. Then the gramplets will be work immediately without having to export/import. Here is the code:

"""
import gramps.gen.proxy
from gramps.gen.filters.rules.person import IsDescendantOf, IsAncestorOf
from gramps.gen.filters import GenericFilter

db = self.dbstate.db
filter = GenericFilter()
filter.set_logical_op("or")
filter.add_rule(IsDescendantOf([db.get_default_person().gramps_id, True]))
filter.add_rule(IsAncestorOf([db.get_default_person().gramps_id, True]))
proxy = gramps.gen.proxy.FilterProxyDb(db, filter)

self.dbstate.db = proxy
self.dbstate.db.emit('person-rebuild')
"""

To undo this operation, do this:

"""
self.dbstate.db = self.dbstate.db.basedb
self.dbstate.db.emit('person-rebuild')
"""

Perhaps if this technique is useful, we could make a "Use this filter as database" option to make it easy to turn a filter into a filtered view for the whole of Gramps.

-Doug

Tim.

Re: What's the easiest way to produce a text file surname list of blood related people to the home person?

Simon C. Tremblay

On 13 July 2015 at 17:30, Doug Blank <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 2:10 PM, Tim Lyons <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 13 Jul 2015, at 18:54, Doug Blank wrote:

On Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 1:06 PM, Tim Lyons <[hidden email]> wrote:
Mike Toogood wrote
> What's the easiest way to produce a text file surname list of blood
> related people to the home person? Only one instance of each surname to
> appear in list.Mike

Go to People view, in the sidebar, create a filter to show only 'blood
related people to the home person'. Find using that filter.

Once you have that filter in place, you can:

1. use the Surname Cloud Gramplet from addons. You can copy/paste those as text (space delimited). The View Config button allows changing number of surnames shown.

2. use the Statistics Gramplet, click on Unique Surnames. Gramps 4.2 allows copy from list.

It looks like there is no one step easy way, so maybe you'll want to try what I found:

1- Create the "Blood related people" filter as described above.
2- Run "Narrated Web Site report" using the filter as the report selection.
3- Open the "Surnames" tab to display the list you want.  Bonus, the list is sortable by surnames or number of individuals.
4- If you really need it as text, you could cut and past the page content, or save it as "Web page only" to make it easier to cut and paste.

I was able to do this with Gramps 4.1.3 on Windows, viewing the pages with Chrome. YMMV.

Regards

Simon