What source attributes in Gramps 4.1 ?

Benny Malengier
Gramps users,

Help make Gramps better! For the upcoming version 4.1 the data tab of the sources will be changed into a source attributes tab.

The advantages: it behaves like the attributes you know from eg the person editor. So you can now reorder the fields, use custom types, ...

We have not decided yet if for the source attributes we want to have predefined key fields or not. This is useful in giving new users ideas on how to use the attributes, and helps in the beginning to avoid errors in keys. Interaction with international users is also easier, as default attributes are translated in your own language.

Therefore this question: What keys do you use on the Data tab of source in current Gramps and would be fit for inclusion as default keys?
So which keys are you using already? Which ones of those do you think should be present in Gramps by default? We could then ship next Gramps with those keys predefined.

My suggested default fields are based on the bibtex standard, and are details from what you would write in the Pub. Info field of the source editor:

Book Title  : If the source you create is in reality part of a collection, book, magazine, or journal
Edition       : in case there are several editions of the source
Editor
Publisher
Pub. Date  : Publication year
Pub. Type  : eg "Research Note", "{PhD} dissertation", "Magazine", ...
Institution   : The institution involved in creating the source (need not be the publisher)
Volume      : volume of a multi-volume work

Do people use it for url to the source also? Source does not have an internet tab, so this might be the case.

Greetings,

Re: What source attributes in Gramps 4.1 ?

Hivernat Emmanuel
Hello,

Personally i use an attached note to store the url because i can keep a direct link (blue shortcut) with the internet page. Put it in an attribute would be better but not to store the internet address as text but as a shortcut (don't know if it's possible)

Thanks for all

regards

Manu

Le 08/04/2014 22:07, Benny Malengier a écrit :
[...]

Put Bad Developers to Shame
http://p.sf.net/sfu/13600_Cloudbees

Re: What source attributes in Gramps 4.1 ?

Sebastian Schubert
On 08/04/14 22:07, Benny Malengier wrote:
> Help make Gramps better! For the upcoming version 4.1 the data tab of
> the sources will be changed into a source attributes tab.
[..]
> Therefore this question: *What keys do you use on the Data tab of source
> in current Gramps and would be fit for inclusion as default keys?*
> So which keys are you using already?

I'm still in the first phase of my work collecting easily available
data, mainly all kind of birth, death, marriage certificates. Although a
scanned version is attached for virtually every source, I still use the
data tab in its literal sense, entering the data of the certificates as
plain text. I do this in the case the certificate is hand-written and
hard to read, either due to bad writing or the usage of old hand-written
letters not in use today.

Thus, I would suggest adding a "Data" attribute as default.

Best wishes,
Sebastian

Re: What source attributes in Gramps 4.1 ?

paul womack
Sebastian Schubert wrote:

> On 08/04/14 22:07, Benny Malengier wrote:
>> Help make Gramps better! For the upcoming version 4.1 the data tab of
>> the sources will be changed into a source attributes tab.
> [..]
>> Therefore this question: *What keys do you use on the Data tab of source
>> in current Gramps and would be fit for inclusion as default keys?*
>> So which keys are you using already?
>
> I'm still in the first phase of my work collecting easily available
> data, mainly all kind of birth, death, marriage certificates. Although a
> scanned version is attached for virtually every source, I still use the
> data tab in its literal sense, entering the data of the certificates as
> plain text. I do this in the case the certificate is hand-written and
> hard to read, either due to bad writing or the usage of old hand-written
> letters not in use today.
>
> Thus, I would suggest adding a "Data" attribute as default.

I do all that you say, but as a note of type "Transcription" on the Citation...

I think (due to history) the Gramps model of Repository->Source->Citation
is far richer than is actually required, so there are lots
of way of representing real data.

Confession - my DB has no configured repositories. Citation + Source
(used with a coarse mixture of flexibility and common sense) seems adequate
to record all that I need to record.

  BugBear

Re: What source attributes in Gramps 4.1 ?

Peter G
Sebastian, I love the idea, but the labeling the attribute "data" doesn't automatically bring to mind what you do (and something I should start doing).  Solvable via the wiki on how to use GRAMPS, or maybe I'm being dense or it's to much beer after 6 months at sea.

Peter

From: Sebastian Schubert <[hidden email]>