Where are my notes?

Cathy Phillips
I imported a gedcom into GRAMPS.. I have lots of notes for individuals
and marriages. When I went to the note section on a person I had been
working on, there was like 2 lines and that is all... I started checking
others for notes. Same thing, if any at all.

So what happened?

Cathy

Re: Where are my notes?

Don Allingham
Cathy,

GEDCOM is an ugly "standard" at best. No commercial program that I am
aware of produces truly compliant GEDCOM. This leaves us in the position
of always trying to figure out the GEDCOM produced.

That being said, it helps when asking for help to provide a bit more
information, such as:

  1) What version of GRAMPS are you running?
  2) What OS/Distribution are you running?
  3) What program produced the GEDCOM file?
  4) What exactly is missing?

It helps if you can send a test case. Otherwise, it is difficult to know
what the problem is and if we have fixed it.

Don

On Sat, 2006-10-07 at 15:47 -0700, Cathy Phillips wrote:

> I imported a gedcom into GRAMPS.. I have lots of notes for individuals
> and marriages. When I went to the note section on a person I had been
> working on, there was like 2 lines and that is all... I started checking
> others for notes. Same thing, if any at all.
>
> So what happened?
>
> Cathy

Re: Where are my notes?

Cathy Phillips
I am running Ubuntu Dapper Drake 6.06. GRAMPS 2.0.11-2. Which came on
this CD. Created the gedcom from Family Tree Maker, I think version 9.

As I said in the 1st post... the "Notes" are missing. I have made lots
of gedcom's... never had this happen before. I have used FTM, PAF and a
few other genealogy programs.. changing the gedcom's one from another.
But... on Windows not linux, in the past.

Two lines of the notes are there for an individual and no more.

Also you said: "It helps if you can send a test case."..

I don't have a clue as to what you mean for me to do here.

Cathy

Re: Where are my notes?

Cathy Phillips
ALL the notes are gone... except for 2 lines of them for each person
that had notes... I have over 20 thousand people in my gedcom and I sure
don't want to put it on line.

Re: Where are my notes?

Cathy Phillips
Where else are notes except for an individual and marriage?? I don't
know of any place notes are kept on FTM.. Cathy

Re: Where are my notes?

Eero Tamminen-3

On Sunday 08 October 2006 06:30, Cathy Phillips wrote:

> I am running Ubuntu Dapper Drake 6.06. GRAMPS 2.0.11-2. Which came on
> this CD. Created the gedcom from Family Tree Maker, I think version 9.
>
> As I said in the 1st post... the "Notes" are missing. I have made lots
> of gedcom's... never had this happen before. I have used FTM, PAF and a
> few other genealogy programs.. changing the gedcom's one from another.
> But... on Windows not linux, in the past.
>
> Two lines of the notes are there for an individual and no more.
>
> Also you said: "It helps if you can send a test case."..
>
> I don't have a clue as to what you mean for me to do here.

By test-case Don means a GEDCOM file produced from the FTM demonstrating
this problem.  You don't need to send the whole database, just an export
having a few individuals with problematic notes i.e. enough to demonstrate
the problem you're having.

As far as I know, in general Gramps developers don't have Windows or other
proprietary / non-free software.  There's no Linux version of FTM either, so
the  developers cannot test in which way this particular genealogy program
(FTM) extends/abuses/interprets the sometimes vague GEDCOM standard.

        - Eero (Gramps stable version Finnish translator)

Re: Where are my notes?

Don Allingham
Notes can appear in many places within a GEDCOM file. Because you think
they should be in one place does not mean that the GEDCOM file has them
there. It does not mean that the notes even exist in the GEDCOM file.

In order to debug the problem, we need the GEDCOM file, and an
indication of at least one specific note that you believe is missing.

This is kind of like calling up a car mechanic and saying "My car
doesn't work. I want you to fix it, but you can't look at the car."

Don

On Sat, 2006-10-07 at 22:54 -0700, Cathy Phillips wrote:
> Where else are notes except for an individual and marriage?? I don't
> know of any place notes are kept on FTM.. Cathy

Re: Where are my notes?

Don Allingham
We have many people who successfully import notes from FTM. If notes are
not importing for you, this could means:

  1) Something is causing FTM not to insert notes into the exported
     GEDCOM file.
  2) Something is causing FTM to generate notes in the GEDCOM file in a
     manner that we have not seen before.
  3) You have encountered a bug in GRAMPS that is affecting your
     GEDCOM, but not the FTM GEDCOMs imported by others.
  4) Everyone who imports FTM is experiencing the same problem, but no
     on has ever reported it to us before.

Either way, we cannot blindly guess at what FTM is doing. And if we
change something, we cannot blindly assume that it will fix your
problem. We need an example to figure out what is going on.