Quantcast

Which GTK-Runtime version for windows?

Stephen George

Hi all,

Peter and I have been having trouble to get the latest GTK-runtime
(v2.22) working with GRAMPS on windows, so I just wanted to do an
informal poll to see what runtime versions you all are using
*successfully* to run GRAMPS.

The attached script will allow you to test and get all the relevant
versions back.

At this stage we don't know if it's a GRAMPS problem incompatible with
latest runtime, or if there is a problem with cario in the runtime or
python bindings.

Thanks to any respondents.

Steve

test_dependencies.py (2K) Download Attachment

Re: Which GTK-Runtime version for windows?

Theo Carr-Brion-2
I have been using the following for some time on Windows 7 64 bit and it
works well:

gramps-3.2.5-1.exe and earlier versions
gtk2-runtime-2.16.6-2010-02-24-ash.exe
pycairo-1.4.12-2.win32-py2.6.exe
pyenchant-1.5.3.win32.exe
pygobject-2.14.2-2.win32-py2.6.exe
pygtk-2.12.1-3.win32-py2.6.exe
PyGTKSpell-2.25.3.win32-py2.6.exe
python-2.6.3.msi

I have not tried some thing like geoview so I do not know if it works
but all the main function of Gramps are fine and as it works I have not
tried newer versions.

I originally had to add the following DLLs but they do not appear to be
required now.

libglade-2.0-0.dll
libxml2.dll

Theo

On 27/11/2010 08:40, Stephen George wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Peter and I have been having trouble to get the latest GTK-runtime
> (v2.22) working with GRAMPS on windows, so I just wanted to do an
> informal poll to see what runtime versions you all are using
> *successfully* to run GRAMPS.
>
> The attached script will allow you to test and get all the relevant
> versions back.
>
> At this stage we don't know if it's a GRAMPS problem incompatible with
> latest runtime, or if there is a problem with cario in the runtime or
> python bindings.
>
> Thanks to any respondents.
>
> Steve

> Increase Visibility of Your 3D Game App&  Earn a Chance To Win $500!
> Tap into the largest installed PC base&  get more eyes on your game by
> optimizing for Intel(R) Graphics Technology. Get started today with the
> Intel(R) Software Partner Program. Five $500 cash prizes are up for grabs.
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/intelisp-dev2dev

Re: Which GTK-Runtime version for windows?

Helge@Gramps

I use without problems for Gramps 2.5.x (from SVN) and Gramps from Trunk:
- Win 7, 64 Bit, German
- Python    2.6.5
- GTK+      2.16.6
- pyGTK     2.16.0
- gobject   2.20.0
- cairo     1.4.12
- enchant   1.5.3
- graphviz  2.26.3 (20100126.1600)

Used installer:
python-2.6.5.msi
PyGTKSpell-2.25.3.win32-py2.6.exe
pygtk-2.16.0.win32-py2.6.exe
pygobject-2.20.0.win32-py2.6.exe
pycairo-1.8.10.win32-py2.6.exe
pyenchant-1.5.3.win32.exe
pyexiv2-0.2-setup.exe (EXIF adon)
PyWebKitGTK-1.1.7.win32-py2.6.msi
WebKitGTK-1.1.16.zip + WebKitGTK-1.1.23 (1.1.23 seems to be incomplete, so I did use all missing files from 1.1.16)
----------------

Already tried changes:
+ cairo 1.8.x ==> no way to run well

+ Webkit
- on http://opensourcepack.blogspot.com/2009/12/pywebkitgtk-windows-binary.html I found a complete solution for the Webkit for Windows using:
- gtk+-bundle_2.20.1-20100912_win32
- pywebkitgtk-1.1.8 (17 KB) for Python 2.6
- WebkitGTK 1.2.1 w/o SVG
But I got unexpected crashes. Up today I couldn't spent time to search for a solution. In general it seems to me there are problems running GTK+ 2.20.1

-Helge

Re: Which GTK-Runtime version for windows?

Mary Lynch-2
I have both python2.5 and python2.6 installed. I have been running gramps with python2.5 for some time, but can't get gtk to install with python2.6. This is on Windows Vista, running gramps 3.2.5-1.

c:\python26\python.exe test_dependencies.py
python:found 2.6.6;
gtk++:not found;
pygtk:not found;
gobject:found 2.20.0;
cairo:found 1.4.12;

c:\python25\python.exe test_dependencies.py
python:found 2.5.4;
gtk++:found 2.12.11;
pygtk:found 2.12.1;
gobject:found 2.12.3;
cairo:found 1.2.6;

Mary Lynch

[...]

David Lynch-4
  On 27/11/2010 08:40, Stephen George wrote:

C:\Python25>C:\Users\David\Documents\Genealogy\dev\test_dependencies.py
python:found 2.5.4;
gtk++:found 2.12.9;
pygtk:found 2.12.1;
gobject:found 2.12.3;
cairo:found 1.2.6;

I had to uninstall python 2.6 to allow gramps to run.

David Lynch

  On 27/11/2010 15:35, David Lynch wrote:

>    On 27/11/2010 08:40, Stephen George wrote:
>
> C:\Python25>C:\Users\David\Documents\Genealogy\dev\test_dependencies.py
> python:found 2.5.4;
> gtk++:found 2.12.9;
> pygtk:found 2.12.1;
> gobject:found 2.12.3;
> cairo:found 1.2.6;
>
> I had to uninstall python 2.6 to allow gramps to run.
>
> David Lynch

When I install Python2.6, Gramps stops working and:

C:\Python26>C:\Users\David\Documents\Genealogy\dev\test_dependencies.py
python:found 2.6.6;
gtk++:not found;
pygtk:not found;
gobject:not found;

Re: Which GTK-Runtime version for windows?

Josip-3
On 27.11.2010 09:40, Stephen George wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Peter and I have been having trouble to get the latest GTK-runtime
> (v2.22) working with GRAMPS on windows, so I just wanted to do an
> informal poll to see what runtime versions you all are using
> *successfully* to run GRAMPS.

Hi,
tried quickly on my windows xp and gramps-3.2.5:

gtk-2.22.1 pygtk-2.22-0
cairo-1.10.0 pycairo-1.8.10
glib-2.27.3 pygobject-2.26.0

works if Ancestry View is not last view before closing gramps, otherwise
after restart crash with "the target surface has been finished" and
require gramps.ini change.
Ancestry View work and i can switch between him and other views,just
have to remember to choose other when quiting program.

--
Josip

Re: Which GTK-Runtime version for windows?

Josip-3
On 27.11.2010 09:40, Stephen George wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Peter and I have been having trouble to get the latest GTK-runtime
> (v2.22) working with GRAMPS on windows, so I just wanted to do an
> informal poll to see what runtime versions you all are using
> *successfully* to run GRAMPS.

If anyone care to check what i use please download:
http://rapidshare.com/files/434885159/GrampsAIO-3.2.5-1.exe
from rapidshare, it is 35 MB download.

Thats 7zip self-extractabe compressed file so you can use that to see
what is inside before extracting.
Run that file and extract it somewhere on your disk, for example in C:
then to run gramps type C:\GrampsAIO-3.2.5-1\Gramps.cmd or make shorcut
to that file on your desktop or start-menu.

Inside are python-2.7, gtk-2.22.1, gramps-3.2.5 etc
This have everything needed to start gramps with GeographyView inside
and if you have graphviz it will also works with GraphView.

--
Josip

On 04.12.2010 18:49, Josip wrote:

> If anyone care to check what i use please download:
> http://rapidshare.com/files/434885159/GrampsAIO-3.2.5-1.exe
> from rapidshare, it is 35 MB download.
>
> Thats 7zip self-extractabe compressed file so you can use that to see
> what is inside before extracting.
> Run that file and extract it somewhere on your disk, for example in C:
> then to run gramps type C:\GrampsAIO-3.2.5-1\Gramps.cmd or make shorcut
> to that file on your desktop or start-menu.
>
> Inside are python-2.7, gtk-2.22.1, gramps-3.2.5 etc
> This have everything needed to start gramps with GeographyView inside
> and if you have graphviz it will also works with GraphView.

Forget important thing: unset edit -> preferences -> Remember last view
displayed

--
Josip

Re: Which GTK-Runtime version for windows?

Peter Landgren
Josip,

I tried this, but I get an error (in Swedish), which translates to.
The program or DLL file C:\GrampsAIO-3.2.5-1\bin\python27.dll is not a valid Windows memory map.
Check against the installation disk.

What did I do wrong?

/Peter

On 04.12.2010 21:23, Peter Landgren wrote:
> Josip,
>
> I tried this, but I get an error (in Swedish), which translates to.
> The program or DLL file C:\GrampsAIO-3.2.5-1\bin\python27.dll is not a valid Windows memory map.
> Check against the installation disk.
>
> What did I do wrong?

Nothing, it is my fault sorry!
I packaged wrong version of that dll.

Please replace it with correct one:
http://rapidshare.com/files/434933291/python27.dll

I deleted previous version and uploaded new one on:
http://rapidshare.com/files/434937864/GrampsAIO-3.2.5-2.exe

Once again sorry for inconvenience and thanks for trying it.

--
Josip

Re: Which GTK-Runtime version for windows?

Peter Landgren
Josip,

Thanks. That made it! I had to add a search PATH for ghostscript as its installer does not add
itself to the system PATH as Graphviz does.

This is fine for me. Tomorrow I'm going to give a presentation of Gramps at a local genealogy
meeting. It will have CD's available for people to test and this version is easy to install even if
it is large.

/Peter

Tried to attach the modified Gramps.cmd, but the mail system refused it.

Here it is:
@echo off

Rem for the graphics reports
SET PATH=%PATH%;C:\Program\gs\gs8.71\bin

setlocal
cd /d %0\..
set prefix=%CD%
cd bin
set PYTHONPATH=%prefix%\lib\python2.7;%prefix%\lib\python2.7\site-packages;%prefix%\lib\python2.7\site-
packages\gtk-2.0
python.exe -O %prefix%\share\gramps\gramps.py %*
endlocal

/Peter

> Josip,
>
> Thanks. That made it! I had to add a search PATH for ghostscript as its
> installer does not add  itself to the system PATH as Graphviz does. I
> attach my modified gramps.cmd.
>
> This is fine for me. Tomorrow I'm going to give a presentation of Gramps at
> a local genealogy  meeting. It will have CD's available for people to test
> and this version is easy to install even if it is large.
>
> /Peter

Re: Which GTK-Runtime version for windows?

Doug
Josip,

I've tried GRAMPSAIO on both WinXP and Windows 7 with a couple of databases.
I get an error message that the Geographic View fails.

Importing the databases from a gpkg freezes/crashes with the message
"Error extracting into c:\\Users\doug\<name-of-database>.gpkg.media"

This is happening with a large or small DB; both of which import OK with Portable Gramps