Which event type to use

Dave Scheipers
Hi all

I found an in-law's record that I am not sure which event type to use.

This relative was a missionary/clergyman. The event record says he was
with the YMCA during World War I. The men that served were attached to
military units in some type of official capacity. Clouding the issue,
these men were also exempted from actual military service as having
'served'.

I am not against using a custom event type when none of the presets
apply but prefer not to create a type which will only be used once.

My first inclination was to use 'Military Service' taking into
consideration the when, why, and the type of service. But I do not
like the idea of using the same event type as those that actually were
in the Military. Maybe this 'service' would be akin to someone
affiliated with the U.S.O. or Red Cross under the same conditions. But
what would you call this type of activity?

Here is where I found the record
https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/2513098

and here is what i found out about the service
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YMCA#World_Wars

Any thoughts on this issue greatly appreciated.

Re: Which event type to use

Brad Rogers
On Sun, 25 Mar 2018 11:06:24 -0400
Dave Scheipers <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Dave,

>Any thoughts on this issue greatly appreciated.

At this stage, I'd use Occupation, expanding details in Notes as
necessary.  If I were to come across a second person that fitted the
bill, I'd then revisit the custom event idea.

--
 Regards  _
My body's an oasis to drink from as you please

Re: Which event type to use

John W. Kitz-3
Dave,

On 2018-03-25 17:06, Dave Scheipers wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I found an in-law's record that I am not sure which event type to use.
>
> This relative was a missionary/clergyman. The event record says he was
> with the YMCA during World War I. The men that served were attached to
> military units in some type of official capacity. Clouding the issue,
> these men were also exempted from actual military service as having
> 'served'.
>
> I am not against using a custom event type when none of the presets
> apply but prefer not to create a type which will only be used once.
>
> My first inclination was to use 'Military Service' taking into
> consideration the when, why, and the type of service. But I do not
> like the idea of using the same event type as those that actually were
> in the Military.

Based on the content of your email it is my impression your reservations
to use the event type 'Military Service' instead of some other type
revolves more around semantics than it does around the question whether
the individual(s) concerned actually contributed in some capacity to WW
I.

> Maybe this 'service' would be akin to someone
> affiliated with the U.S.O. or Red Cross under the same conditions. But
> what would you call this type of activity?
>
> Here is where I found the record
> https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/2513098
>
> and here is what i found out about the service
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YMCA#World_Wars

I'm insufficiently aware of the specifics of the contributions to the WW
I war efforts made by organizations, such as the YMCA, or by its
employees, but based on the information provided one might consider
asking oneself questions, such as:

Was this individual employed by the military during WW I?
Did this individual wear a military uniform while doing whatever it was
that s/he did during WW I?
Did this individual hold a military rank while doing whatever it was
that s/he did during WW I?

If the answer to one or more of these questions is yes, than using the
event type Military Service may be deemed appropriate.

In all other cases it may not, but bearing the semantics of the key
words 'to serve' or 'service' in mind that does not necessarily mean the
individual concerned did not serve (in the broader meaning of the
word[1]) in or during WW I.

[1] https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/serve

> Any thoughts on this issue greatly appreciated.

I hope this helps.

> Dave

Regards, Jk.

Re: Which event type to use

Dave Scheipers
Hi John and Brad

I have settled on creating an event type "War Time Service"

Brad - I had not thought along the lines of 'Occupation' which I
always think of as a vocation and whenever possible, I try to put in
as an attribute either on the person record or an event ie. census.

While showering, the War Time Service came to me. It has the benefit
of elevating the significance of the activity. The type would cover
USO or red Cross activity under similar circumstances. I started using
it now so it will be there for the next circumstance before I forget
about it.

Thanks for your input, Dave

On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 6:01 PM, John W. Kitz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dave,
>
> On 2018-03-25 17:06, Dave Scheipers wrote:
>>
>> Hi all
>>
>> I found an in-law's record that I am not sure which event type to use.
>>
>> This relative was a missionary/clergyman. The event record says he was
>> with the YMCA during World War I. The men that served were attached to
>> military units in some type of official capacity. Clouding the issue,
>> these men were also exempted from actual military service as having
>> 'served'.
>>
>> I am not against using a custom event type when none of the presets
>> apply but prefer not to create a type which will only be used once.
>>
>> My first inclination was to use 'Military Service' taking into
>> consideration the when, why, and the type of service. But I do not
>> like the idea of using the same event type as those that actually were
>> in the Military.
>

> Based on the content of your email it is my impression your reservations to
> use the event type 'Military Service' instead of some other type revolves
> more around semantics than it does around the question whether the
> individual(s) concerned actually contributed in some capacity to WW I.
>
>> Maybe this 'service' would be akin to someone
>> affiliated with the U.S.O. or Red Cross under the same conditions. But
>> what would you call this type of activity?
>>
>> Here is where I found the record
>> https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/2513098
>>
>> and here is what i found out about the service
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YMCA#World_Wars
>

> I'm insufficiently aware of the specifics of the contributions to the WW I
> war efforts made by organizations, such as the YMCA, or by its employees,
> but based on the information provided one might consider asking oneself
> questions, such as:
>
> Was this individual employed by the military during WW I?
> Did this individual wear a military uniform while doing whatever it was that
> s/he did during WW I?
> Did this individual hold a military rank while doing whatever it was that
> s/he did during WW I?
>
> If the answer to one or more of these questions is yes, than using the event
> type Military Service may be deemed appropriate.
>
> In all other cases it may not, but bearing the semantics of the key words
> 'to serve' or 'service' in mind that does not necessarily mean the
> individual concerned did not serve (in the broader meaning of the word[1])
> in or during WW I.
>
> [1] https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/serve
>

>> Any thoughts on this issue greatly appreciated.
>

> I hope this helps.
>

>> Dave
>>

> Regards, Jk.

Re: Which event type to use

Brad Rogers
On Mon, 26 Mar 2018 18:42:30 -0400
Dave Scheipers <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Dave,

>Brad - I had not thought along the lines of 'Occupation' which I
>always think of as a vocation and whenever possible, I try to put in

Occupation and Military Service are both, of course, vocational.  Gramps
lists them under Vocation along with other types.  I suppose that we
really only need Vocation, but subdivisions make sense, otherwise
there'd be lots of Notes explaining exactly what's what.

That said, I *do* like your War Time Service custom event.  Noted for
future use....

--
 Regards  _
Hey there, Mr Average, you don't exist, you never did

Re: Which event type to use

On 26/03/18 23:42, Dave Scheipers wrote:

> I have settled on creating an event type "War Time Service"
>
> Brad - I had not thought along the lines of 'Occupation' which I
> always think of as a vocation and whenever possible, I try to put in
> as an attribute either on the person record or an event ie. census.
>
> While showering, the War Time Service came to me. It has the benefit
> of elevating the significance of the activity. The type would cover
> USO or red Cross activity under similar circumstances. I started using
> it now so it will be there for the next circumstance before I forget
> about it.

Another example would be Bevin Boys.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bevin_Boys