Which last name?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Which last name?

Richard Fonfara
Hi,

after I was born my mother got divorced und had now her maiden name, and
my last name changed to her maiden name. When I got married I decided to
take the last name of my wife.

In the family tree I used my actual last name. Was this wrong? Should I
enter always the last names that the persons had at birth time?

--
Thank you in advance

Richard Fonfara


_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Which last name?

Lasse
Hi Richard,

Gramps allows you to enter multiple names, which is a great feature that
could help you here.

Which you select as default name (this is displayed most the times), is
somewhat up to you. I personally select the birth name, as this gives me
the best lead to the parents.

Kind regards,
Lasse

On 08/04/2019 19:57, [hidden email] wrote:
> Hi,
>
> after I was born my mother got divorced und had now her maiden name, and
> my last name changed to her maiden name. When I got married I decided to
> take the last name of my wife.
>
> In the family tree I used my actual last name. Was this wrong? Should I
> enter always the last names that the persons had at birth time?
>


_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Which last name?

Ron Johnson
In reply to this post by Richard Fonfara
On 4/8/19 12:57 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
Hi,

after I was born my mother got divorced und had now her maiden name, and
my last name changed to her maiden name. When I got married I decided to
take the last name of my wife.

In the family tree I used my actual last name. 

Which "actual"?

Was this wrong?

That depends on what you select in the Person Editor's Type field.  (I've pasted a png snippet in this email.  Hopefully it passes the mail server's filters.)

 Should I enter always the last names that the persons had at birth time?





--
Angular momentum makes the world go 'round.


_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Which last name?

Philip Weiss
In reply to this post by Richard Fonfara
The general standard in genealogy is to use name at birth, but there are lots and lots of cases where that is not-always-the-best: Transgender people, Adoptees, People in patronymic places where they didn't have last names until adulthood, Etc.

Gramps allows multiple names, and I take advantage of that. Birth name, married name, occupational name, anglicized name, etc. all get entered when I do it. I generally make the preferred name (i.e., the name that is usually displayed in Gramps reports) the most common name used in childhood.

But you'll find any number of ways people do this and you are free to use whatever method makes most sense for you.

About the only way I recommend against is using "LNU" (acronym for Last Name Unknown) instead of leaving the surname blank when you don't know.  That's the only one that seems to really cause issues that are hard to untangle later on.

Phil.
On Apr 8 2019, at 10:57 am, [hidden email] wrote:
Hi,

after I was born my mother got divorced und had now her maiden name, and
my last name changed to her maiden name. When I got married I decided to
take the last name of my wife.

In the family tree I used my actual last name. Was this wrong? Should I
enter always the last names that the persons had at birth time?

--
Thank you in advance

Richard Fonfara


_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org


_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

LNU (was Re: Which last name?)

Ron Johnson
On 4/8/19 1:12 PM, Philip Weiss wrote:
[snip]

About the only way I recommend against is using "LNU" (acronym for Last Name Unknown) instead of leaving the surname blank when you don't know.  That's the only one that seems to really cause issues that are hard to untangle later on.

Why does it cause hard-to-untangle issues?


--
Angular momentum makes the world go 'round.


_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Which last name?

GRAMPS - User mailing list
In reply to this post by Lasse
Richard,

You could set up 3 alternate names. 

Use different origins for each:
Your birth certificate name is patrilineal.
Your mother's maiden name is matrilineal.
Your wife's name is Taken

You can choose which you consider 'Primary'

Name options are described in more detail here:

-Brian

On Mon, Apr 8, 2019 at 13:28, [hidden email]
Hi Richard,

Gramps allows you to enter multiple names, which is a great feature that
could help you here.

Which you select as default name (this is displayed most the times), is
somewhat up to you. I personally select the birth name, as this gives me
the best lead to the parents.

Kind regards,
Lasse

On 08/04/2019 19:57, [hidden email] wrote:
> Hi,
>
> after I was born my mother got divorced und had now her maiden name, and
> my last name changed to her maiden name. When I got married I decided to
> take the last name of my wife.
>
> In the family tree I used my actual last name. Was this wrong? Should I
> enter always the last names that the persons had at birth time?
>


_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org


_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: LNU (was Re: Which last name?)

GRAMPS - User mailing list
In reply to this post by Ron Johnson
Ron,

The biggest problem is that an Acronym that might be mistaken for an actual surname.

My grandmother (and some other genealogists) opted to use 'uln' for 'unknown last name' in her 1976 book. She said that she couldn't tell the difference between an oversight and an true unknown if the left it blank.

Unfortunately, I now find people noting the repeated intermarriages with the mysterious 'Uln' family. And I'm having difficulty convincing people on WikiTree that sheer low number of 'Uln's is proof that it isn't a real surname.

So, if you opt to use an acronym (like I do), keep the periods & drop the spaces -- i.e., 'U.L.N.'  I prefer this over 'L.N.U.' because there are fewer 'U' surnames than the crowd of 'L's & they sort close to the 'unknown' that so many others use instead.

Finally, I use the 'Taken' married surname as Primary so the Grouped Tree keeps them near their Spouse. (I can always Filter for 'U.L.N.')

-Brian

On Mon, Apr 8, 2019 at 13:31, Ron Johnson
_________________________________________
On 4/8/19 1:12 PM, Philip Weiss wrote:
[snip]
About the only way I recommend against is using "LNU" (acronym for Last Name Unknown) instead of leaving the surname blank when you don't know.  That's the only one that seems to really cause issues that are hard to untangle later on.
Why does it cause hard-to-untangle issues?


_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: LNU (was Re: Which last name?)

Rich Lakey
In reply to this post by Ron Johnson

The GEDCOM file I imported from my father some 10 years?? ago had "Unknown" for the last name of those that last name was not known. Not much confusion except in people list view these folks sort in the "U's". I have chose to leave the last name blank if unknown. Also I have the people list view set to show spouse. This is handy when I am looking for a Tom Jones married to a Edith Bunker.

Rich

On 4/8/19 1:29 PM, Ron Johnson wrote:
On 4/8/19 1:12 PM, Philip Weiss wrote:
[snip]

About the only way I recommend against is using "LNU" (acronym for Last Name Unknown) instead of leaving the surname blank when you don't know.?? That's the only one that seems to really cause issues that are hard to untangle later on.

Why does it cause hard-to-untangle issues?


--
Angular momentum makes the world go 'round.


_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org


_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: LNU (was Re: Which last name?)

Philip Weiss
In reply to this post by GRAMPS - User mailing list
Socially speaking, what Brian notes is the biggest problem.

Programmatically speaking, using LNU (or L.N.U. or U.L.N.) etc. means that things that need to deal with surnames have to special case them.  It's much easier to write code (e.g., for a report) that understands a surname is missing when the surname is missing than it is to tell it that LNU means the surname is missing.  For instance, I want to get a report of people missing surnames for a project to find them.  I can sorta do this with a specialized name type and LNU, but that makes name type do double duty (e.g., it's a married name and a missing name).

For a non-programmer who isn't going to do that sort of thing, it will also cause problems if you have to import or merge with a tree that uses a different acronym.  (e.g., One person uses U.L.N., another uses L.N.U.)

These might not be problems for you.

Philip


On Apr 8 2019, at 12:24 pm, Emyoulation--- via Gramps-users <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ron,

The biggest problem is that an Acronym that might be mistaken for an actual surname.

My grandmother (and some other genealogists) opted to use 'uln' for 'unknown last name' in her 1976 book. She said that she couldn't tell the difference between an oversight and an true unknown if the left it blank.

Unfortunately, I now find people noting the repeated intermarriages with the mysterious 'Uln' family. And I'm having difficulty convincing people on WikiTree that sheer low number of 'Uln's is proof that it isn't a real surname.

So, if you opt to use an acronym (like I do), keep the periods & drop the spaces -- i.e., 'U.L.N.'  I prefer this over 'L.N.U.' because there are fewer 'U' surnames than the crowd of 'L's & they sort close to the 'unknown' that so many others use instead.

Finally, I use the 'Taken' married surname as Primary so the Grouped Tree keeps them near their Spouse. (I can always Filter for 'U.L.N.')

-Brian

On Mon, Apr 8, 2019 at 13:31, Ron Johnson
_________________________________________
On 4/8/19 1:12 PM, Philip Weiss wrote:
[snip]
About the only way I recommend against is using "LNU" (acronym for Last Name Unknown) instead of leaving the surname blank when you don't know.  That's the only one that seems to really cause issues that are hard to untangle later on.
Why does it cause hard-to-untangle issues?



_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org