Which source citation entry to use for a media object

Which source citation entry to use for a media object

grampsgenealogist
Grateful for advice on where to store a source citation for a media
object. There are two places in Gramps where such a citation can be
stored:

(a) double click the media object, there is a source citation tab at
the top
(b) same window but select "shared information" where you enter the
name of the media object, path etc. There is a source citation tab
here

The media object ia  PDF document which is in teh Gallery for the
person. The PDF is an image of a newspaper page hence the citations
needs to reference the name of the newwpaper, date, page.

Also i would be interested to know how to create a source citation
when you need to reference teh photographer, date of photo

Many thanks

Re: Which source citation entry to use for a media object

grampsgenealogist
I've noted that only the "Shared information" citation appears in the
narrated web report (which I use as a means to output and publish the
data)

On Thu, 13 Jul 2017 08:40:10 +0100
Gramps genealogist <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Grateful for advice on where to store a source citation for a media
> object. There are two places in Gramps where such a citation can be
> stored:
>
> (a) double click the media object, there is a source citation tab at
> the top
> (b) same window but select "shared information" where you enter the
> name of the media object, path etc. There is a source citation tab
> here
>
> The media object ia  PDF document which is in teh Gallery for the
> person. The PDF is an image of a newspaper page hence the citations
> needs to reference the name of the newwpaper, date, page.
>
> Also i would be interested to know how to create a source citation
> when you need to reference teh photographer, date of photo
>
> Many thanks

Re: Which source citation entry to use for a media object

paul womack
Gramps genealogist wrote:

> Grateful for advice on where to store a source citation for a media
> object. There are two places in Gramps where such a citation can be
> stored:
>
> (a) double click the media object, there is a source citation tab at
> the top
> (b) same window but select "shared information" where you enter the
> name of the media object, path etc. There is a source citation tab
> here
>
> The media object ia  PDF document which is in teh Gallery for the
> person. The PDF is an image of a newspaper page hence the citations
> needs to reference the name of the newwpaper, date, page.
>
> Also i would be interested to know how to create a source citation
> when you need to reference teh photographer, date of photo

I would normally have a Source of Newspaper (or a particular newspaper
archive, the granularity is up to you).

I would create a Citation for the title, date, page,
and put the media object into the gallery of the Citation.

In fact, I would not have to create a media object, the action
of dragging a pdf or image from the disc to the gallery
of the citation does this for you.

The citation would then be put against an Event for the person
(why were they in the Paper? - something must have happened)

I would then share the media object to the Person's
gallery.

  BugBear