Whish-list for Gramps 2.0.8

Stefan Björk
I would like to propose a few minor changes to Gramps 2.0.8:

* Add a flowing/preformatted text button to the 'Text' field in the
source editor.

* Translation of date estimations, like "before 1900". This is only
needed in reports; there's no need to translate the date parser or
internal date representation, in my opinion.

* An update of the swedish translation, mainly of the Narrative Web
report, but it seems that I've got myself involved in this. :-)

* Some kind of ancestors tree for each person in the Narrative Web
report, possibly on its own page. I realise this is difficult when
dealing with HTML, but using tables would probably be a sufficient
solution (a more elegant, but costly, solution would be to create a
graphical tree and include the picture on every page).

* An easy way to create internal links from the introductory page/memo
of the Narrative Web report. For example, I might like to write some
words about some of the persons in the database, and create a link to
their pages. Currently, I can use <a href="..."> and type the relative
page, but I'm not sure that the page gets the same name every time?

Stefan

Re: Whish-list for Gramps 2.0.8

Alex Roitman
Stefan,

On Sun, 2005-09-18 at 10:06 +0200, Stefan Björk wrote:
> * Add a flowing/preformatted text button to the 'Text' field in the
> source editor.

This seems a good idea, both for the Text and the Comments fields.
Could you please file an item with the RFE tracker over at the
sf.net project site?

> * Translation of date estimations, like "before 1900". This is only
> needed in reports; there's no need to translate the date parser or
> internal date representation, in my opinion.

Actually, that's what the date displayer does. If you look at
src/date/Date_*.py you will see two classes: Parser and Displayer
for each available language. While writing a localized parser is
tough, writing localized displayer is not that hard. It still makes
more sense writing localized displayer than translate English dates.
If you would like to write one for Swedish, please let me know and
I should be able to help.

> * Some kind of ancestors tree for each person in the Narrative Web
> report, possibly on its own page. I realise this is difficult when
> dealing with HTML, but using tables would probably be a sufficient
> solution (a more elegant, but costly, solution would be to create a
> graphical tree and include the picture on every page).

This would be nice. Whenever we get more time...

> * An easy way to create internal links from the introductory page/memo
> of the Narrative Web report. For example, I might like to write some
> words about some of the persons in the database, and create a link to
> their pages. Currently, I can use <a href="..."> and type the relative
> page, but I'm not sure that the page gets the same name every time?

The pages are using the internal handles that are never changing
for any given person/family/place/source/media. So you're safe
inserting links to the primary objects like that.

It would be nice to have an interface allowing an easy link creation.
Any idea what it could be?

Alex

Re: Whish-list for Gramps 2.0.8

Bugzilla from frode.jemtland@skolelinux.no
Wednesday 21. September 2005 05:05, wrote Alexander Roitman:

><SNIP>
>> > * Translation of date estimations, like "before 1900". This is only
> > needed in reports; there's no need to translate the date parser or
> > internal date representation, in my opinion.
>
> Actually, that's what the date displayer does. If you look at
> src/date/Date_*.py you will see two classes: Parser and Displayer
> for each available language. While writing a localized parser is
> tough, writing localized displayer is not that hard. It still makes
> more sense writing localized displayer than translate English dates.
> If you would like to write one for Swedish, please let me know and
> I should be able to help.

Out of curiosity, I opend the Date_de.py. I do not speek German, but I wonder
if this is correct.... line 61-63 looks like this:
    month_to_int[u"februaris"]  = 2
    month_to_int[u"merz"]  = 2
    month_to_int[u"aprilis"]  = 4

Should'nt merz equal the number 3 ?

--
-Frode

The clash of ideas is the sound of freedom.

Petition for "World of Warcraft" on Linux: http://www.blizzpub.net/petition/

Re: Whish-list for Gramps 2.0.8

Alex Roitman
On Wed, 2005-09-21 at 21:41 +0200, Frode Jemtland wrote:
> Out of curiosity, I opend the Date_de.py. I do not speek German, but I wonder
> if this is correct.... line 61-63 looks like this:
>     month_to_int[u"februaris"]  = 2
>     month_to_int[u"merz"]  = 2
>     month_to_int[u"aprilis"]  = 4
>
> Should'nt merz equal the number 3 ?

I would think so too, although I don't speak German either.
Martin? Anton? Is this an error?

Alex

Re: Whish-list for Gramps 2.0.8

Martin Hawlisch
Hi Frode,

you are rigth! Thanks for catching this. This is now corrected in CVS and
will appear in 2.0.9.

Cheers, Martin.

> Betreff: Re: [Gramps-users] Whish-list for Gramps 2.0.8
> Out of curiosity, I opend the Date_de.py. I do not speek German, but I
> wonder
> if this is correct.... line 61-63 looks like this:
>     month_to_int[u"februaris"]  = 2
>     month_to_int[u"merz"]  = 2
>     month_to_int[u"aprilis"]  = 4
>
> Should'nt merz equal the number 3 ?

+++ GMX - die erste Adresse f?r Mail, Message, More +++

Re: Whish-list for Gramps 2.0.8

Stefan Björk
Alex,

>>* Add a flowing/preformatted text button to the 'Text' field in the
>>source editor.
>
> This seems a good idea, both for the Text and the Comments fields.
> Could you please file an item with the RFE tracker over at the
> sf.net project site?

Done.

>>* Translation of date estimations, like "before 1900".

[...]

> If you would like to write one for Swedish, please let me know and
> I should be able to help.

Done.

>>* An easy way to create internal links from the introductory page/memo
>>of the Narrative Web report. For example, I might like to write some
>>words about some of the persons in the database, and create a link to
>>their pages. Currently, I can use <a href="..."> and type the relative
>>page, but I'm not sure that the page gets the same name every time?
>
> It would be nice to have an interface allowing an easy link creation.
> Any idea what it could be?

I have some faint memory of having answered this, but I can't find my
own mail. So here it goes again: One idea is to use a Wiki notation, so
that a string like '[[I0023]]' is replaced with the name of person with
identity I0023, and a HTML link.

Stefan

Re: Whish-list for Gramps 2.0.8

Alex Roitman
Stefan,

Thanks for helping and sorry for not replying sooner!

On Wed, 2005-10-05 at 09:00 +0200, Stefan Björk wrote:

> >>* An easy way to create internal links from the introductory page/memo
> >>of the Narrative Web report. For example, I might like to write some
> >>words about some of the persons in the database, and create a link to
> >>their pages. Currently, I can use <a href="..."> and type the relative
> >>page, but I'm not sure that the page gets the same name every time?
> >
> > It would be nice to have an interface allowing an easy link creation.
> > Any idea what it could be?
>
> I have some faint memory of having answered this, but I can't find my
> own mail. So here it goes again: One idea is to use a Wiki notation, so
> that a string like '[[I0023]]' is replaced with the name of person with
> identity I0023, and a HTML link.
You have answered that before.

So, should the [[I0023]] be inserted into the intro note?
I think we could do that. Maybe we should come up with
few other "scripting" features and implement them all at once.

Alex

Re: Whish-list for Gramps 2.0.8

Stefan Björk
Alex,

> So, should the [[I0023]] be inserted into the intro note?

Yes. All media/text notes on the "Page Generation" of the "Generate Web
Site" dialogue should be subject to the same type of parsing when the
Narrative Web Site is created.

Stefan