Who to talk to

Robert de Kock
Dear Grampsians,

How and where could I ask questions and read about how to set up a
collaborative project with about 10 participants? We want to use
Gramps as the database underlying a large set of old family photos
that we are currently scanning. Our idea is to use Dropbox as the
"common ground" containing the master data set. We are spread across
the world - Europe, Asia, America, Oceania. Quite a lot of the
genealogy is known due to the efforts of earlier generations.

Do you have somewhere to discuss modes, standards, methods of cooperating?

Thank you

Robert de Kock
Katikati, New Zealand

Re: Who to talk to

diannereuby
We use Google Drive and hangouts. We each have a free Drive account, and
create folders and docs which we share with each other. This saves the
cost of paying for extra storage. We have about 5 or 6 people, working
on two or three projects. So far we haven't needed to look for more
sophisticated methods, and we can share individual files with those
outside our group if necessary, for example when getting professional
help on an aspect of a project.

Dianne

On 21/11/13 03:43, Robert de Kock wrote:

> Dear Grampsians,
>
> How and where could I ask questions and read about how to set up a
> collaborative project with about 10 participants? We want to use
> Gramps as the database underlying a large set of old family photos
> that we are currently scanning. Our idea is to use Dropbox as the
> "common ground" containing the master data set. We are spread across
> the world - Europe, Asia, America, Oceania. Quite a lot of the
> genealogy is known due to the efforts of earlier generations.
>
> Do you have somewhere to discuss modes, standards, methods of cooperating?
>
> Thank you
>
> Robert de Kock
> Katikati, New Zealand

Re: Who to talk to

Nicholas Robinson
Hi Robert

I’ve been using Dropbox with Gramps for about two years. Not so much sharing with other people, but to enable me to access it from a variety of workstations.

I do use Dropbox for collaborating with others developing iPad applications and it works brilliantly, so I think it would work as you want.

Hope this helps

Nick

On 21 Nov 2013, at 08:31, Dianne <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We use Google Drive and hangouts. We each have a free Drive account, and
> create folders and docs which we share with each other. This saves the
> cost of paying for extra storage. We have about 5 or 6 people, working
> on two or three projects. So far we haven't needed to look for more
> sophisticated methods, and we can share individual files with those
> outside our group if necessary, for example when getting professional
> help on an aspect of a project.
>
> Dianne
>
> On 21/11/13 03:43, Robert de Kock wrote:
>> Dear Grampsians,
>>
>> How and where could I ask questions and read about how to set up a
>> collaborative project with about 10 participants? We want to use
>> Gramps as the database underlying a large set of old family photos
>> that we are currently scanning. Our idea is to use Dropbox as the
>> "common ground" containing the master data set. We are spread across
>> the world - Europe, Asia, America, Oceania. Quite a lot of the
>> genealogy is known due to the efforts of earlier generations.
>>
>> Do you have somewhere to discuss modes, standards, methods of cooperating?
>>
>> Thank you
>>
>> Robert de Kock
>> Katikati, New Zealand

Re: Who to talk to

What about owncloud?
To have some control on our data is important.

Right now, I have access to one "owncloud", provided by one member of
my family.
I am not using the client because the web access works fine. It sounds
like dropbox. So, if you can host a database via dropbox, then I
suppose it is possible via owncloud too?

You should also have a look at experimental gramps webapp!
Maybe we should try to provide a 'gramps-webapp.deb' package with 4.0.2
release?

See a sample on http://www.gramps-connect.org/

Le jeu. 21 nov. 2013 at 4:43,Robert de Kock <[hidden email]> a
écrit :

> Dear Grampsians,
>
> How and where could I ask questions and read about how to set up a
> collaborative project with about 10 participants? We want to use
> Gramps as the database underlying a large set of old family photos
> that we are currently scanning. Our idea is to use Dropbox as the
> "common ground" containing the master data set. We are spread across
> the world - Europe, Asia, America, Oceania. Quite a lot of the
> genealogy is known due to the efforts of earlier generations.
>
> Do you have somewhere to discuss modes, standards, methods of
> cooperating?
>
> Thank you
>
> Robert de Kock
> Katikati, New Zealand

> Software experts and developers: Be at the forefront of tech
> innovation.
> Intel(R) Software Adrenaline delivers strategic insight and
> game-changing
> conversations that shape the rapidly evolving mobile landscape. Sign
> up now.
> http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=63431311&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk

Re: Who to talk to

DS Blank
On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 6:10 AM, Jerome <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What about owncloud?
> To have some control on our data is important.
>
> Right now, I have access to one "owncloud", provided by one member of
> my family.
> I am not using the client because the web access works fine. It sounds
> like dropbox. So, if you can host a database via dropbox, then I
> suppose it is possible via owncloud too?
>
> You should also have a look at experimental gramps webapp!
> Maybe we should try to provide a 'gramps-webapp.deb' package with 4.0.2
> release?
>
> See a sample on http://www.gramps-connect.org/

Although Gramps-Connect is making progress, and I have been using it
as my main repository for about a year, it is still experimental, has
some privacy leakages, and doesn't do some things. One thing is
doesn't do yet is handle media.

But I'm working on that aspect currently, and would be glad to work
with users to develop it. Let me know if interested.

-Doug