Why Gramps is using distutils instead of setuptools?

Why Gramps is using distutils instead of setuptools?

Patryk Bęza
Why Gramps is still using distutils instead of (newer) setuptools?

I even found a comment:
> # Die, setuptools, die.
in setup.py (line 60).

What is rationale in not upgrading to setuptools?  Would you accept pull
request that upgrades setup.py from distutils to setuptools?

Re: Why Gramps is using distutils instead of setuptools?

Nick Hall
On 03/10/17 18:32, Patryk Bęza wrote:
Why Gramps is still using distutils instead of (newer) setuptools?

When we converted from autotools to distutils in 2012 the future of python packaging wasn't clear.  It looked like the
packaging (distutils2) module was going to be included in core python, and there was a distribute fork of setuptools.

I even found a comment:
# Die, setuptools, die.
in setup.py (line 60).

What is rationale in not upgrading to setuptools?  Would you accept pull
request that upgrades setup.py from distutils to setuptools?

It now appears that setuptools/pip/wheels is the way forward.

Sam Manzi has already attempted to build wheels:

https://github.com/sam-m888/gramps/commit/1bd29abfb6671db4e5d77b485eed21850728a05e

However, there were problems finding the resource file.

We would accept a pull request, but distributing Gramps via pip needs to be discussed on this list.