Win 4.2.5 Backup Filename

Oldest1

Is there a way to customize the backup file name in the Window AOI package?

It seems my .INI file lives in

C:\Users\%user%\AppData\Roaming\gramps\gramps42\gramps.ini

but I have not been able to modify the backup file name there as the wiki suggests at:

https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_4.2_Wiki_Manual_-_Manage_Family_Trees#Archiving_a_Family_Tree

Initially "quick-backup-filename" is commented out and any changes to this line are not reflected in the path shown in the backup dialog and are overwritten when gramps exits - to restore the original commented line.

When I am working on my family tree, I would prefer to be able to make a backup more than once per day, which is not possible without manually modifying the file name shown in the dialog. I can manually add a 'version' identifier, but I cannot seem to make use of the keywords mentioned in the wiki.

Is this a permanent difference between the Windows AIO edition or a 'bug' that will be fixed?

Running AIO 4.2.5 under Win 10

Re: Win 4.2.5 Backup Filename

Dave Scheipers
I know it can be done because I have altered my gramps.ini file to add
the hour of day to the backup. I too do several backups a day.
Basically anytime I step away from the computer while working on it,
and of course when I am done for the day.

quick-backup-filename='%(filename)s
%(year)d-%(month)02d-%(day)02d-%(hour)02d.%(extension)s'

Make sure that you make any changes to the ini before you open gramps.
As you correctly note, other than the chosen path, what you type in to
the backup dialog does not modify gramps.ini. It must be done manually
before starting gramps.

I've never had any luck changing the extension to default to the
non-media backup. This does change in 5.0 to remember which was the
backup type last made.

On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 4:07 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is there a way to customize the backup file name in the Window AOI package?
>
> It seems my .INI file lives in
>
> C:\Users\%user%\AppData\Roaming\gramps\gramps42\gramps.ini
>
> but I have not been able to modify the backup file name there as the wiki
> suggests at:
>
> https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_4.2_Wiki_Manual_-_Manage_Family_Trees#Archiving_a_Family_Tree
>
> Initially "quick-backup-filename" is commented out and any changes to this
> line are not reflected in the path shown in the backup dialog and are
> overwritten when gramps exits - to restore the original commented line.
>
> When I am working on my family tree, I would prefer to be able to make a
> backup more than once per day, which is not possible without manually
> modifying the file name shown in the dialog. I can manually add a 'version'
> identifier, but I cannot seem to make use of the keywords mentioned in the
> wiki.
>
> Is this a permanent difference between the Windows AIO edition or a 'bug'
> that will be fixed?
>
> Running AIO 4.2.5 under Win 10

Re: Win 4.2.5 Backup Filename

Oldest1
On 10/5/2017 1:42 PM, Dave Scheipers wrote:
I know it can be done because I have altered my gramps.ini file to add
the hour of day to the backup. I too do several backups a day.
Basically anytime I step away from the computer while working on it,
and of course when I am done for the day.

quick-backup-filename='%(filename)s
%(year)d-%(month)02d-%(day)02d-%(hour)02d.%(extension)s'

Make sure that you make any changes to the ini before you open gramps.
As you correctly note, other than the chosen path, what you type in to
the backup dialog does not modify gramps.ini. It must be done manually
before starting gramps.
I always made my changes before opening Gramps, but have had no luck at all.
After reading your comment that it was possible, I searched my PC for the string I wanted to modify, i.e.
quick-backup-filename
and found it in c:\program files (x86)\GrampsAOI32-4.2.5\gramps\gen\config.py
at line #280 adding the 'hour' & 'minutes' strings did the trick.
It also now shows the modified string in gramps.ini, though it cannot be modified there.
And of course to modify config.py, I had to run NP++ in admin mode.
Glad I asked and you had the answer :-)