Windows 32 bit AIO

David L McMurray

Does the fact that there has been no Windows 32 bit AIO released this year at all when there have been two alpha and one maintenance releases in 64 bit mean that support is dropping for 32 bit? Or is it still just and overwhelmed developer and it will happen when it happens? I can remember a couple of years ago when there was only a 32 bit published one time we were told to use it on our 64 bit systems and it would run just as well.

I do appreciate all the developers hard work and can definitely understand about life getting in the way. The only reason I’m asking is I keep a copy on my laptop for portability and have delayed upgrading to 4.2.6 if I can’t take it with me when I need to. If 32 bit is dead, I need to explore some other options.

Thanks so much and keep up the good work and support,

Re: Windows 32 bit AIO

prculley
It is not clear just how much need there is for the 32-bit versions.  I personally haven't had a 32-bit machine in over 10 years.  It also is quite a bit of work to generate the AIO at all; the last time I tried I spent 3 full days just getting ready to do it, and then the usual developer, (Josip) beat me to the punch.  I really cannot speak for Josip, he might have a better process than I do, or at least more experience, but I'd be willing to be that if it was easy, he would have done it.  He may eventually do another 32-bit version if he gets the time (he has not been very active lately, so I suspect he is busy with other things).

At this time we do NOT have a formal agreement that 32-bit is dead.

If you have Gramps AIO32 4.2.5 32-bit version available on your laptop, it is possible for you to get most of the advances that the latest version provides (but not all) by copying the python files from the latest 64-bit version to the same place in the 32-bit version.  Assuming that you have a 64-bit machine with the latest Gramps 4.2.6 installed, you can copy the sub-directory "c:\Program Files\GrampsAIO64-4.2.6\gramps" to the equivalent spot on your laptop.  You should of course have full backups before trying this, and I am not responsible if it doesn't work 🙁.

Paul C.

On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 1:20 PM, David L McMurray <[hidden email]> wrote:

Does the fact that there has been no Windows 32 bit AIO released this year at all when there have been two alpha and one maintenance releases in 64 bit mean that support is dropping for 32 bit? Or is it still just and overwhelmed developer and it will happen when it happens? I can remember a couple of years ago when there was only a 32 bit published one time we were told to use it on our 64 bit systems and it would run just as well.

I do appreciate all the developers hard work and can definitely understand about life getting in the way. The only reason I’m asking is I keep a copy on my laptop for portability and have delayed upgrading to 4.2.6 if I can’t take it with me when I need to. If 32 bit is dead, I need to explore some other options.

Thanks so much and keep up the good work and support,

Re: Windows 32 bit AIO

Simon C. Tremblay
I’ve also been waiting for the 32 bit version. I have one machine (a Win10 tablet/netbook that I take to the library) which is 32-bit and have been unable to upgrade to 64.

If there’s no 32-bit version, guess I should bring this to my wife: “look Honey, I really need a new laptop. It’s not me, got no choice...”

Simon

Le ven. 17 nov. 2017 à 07:13, Paul Culley <[hidden email]> a écrit :
[...]

Oldest1

Hi Paul,

just curious -
On 11/17/2017 7:11 AM, Paul Culley wrote:
-------------8X---------------
If you have Gramps AIO32 4.2.5 32-bit version available on your laptop, it is possible for you to get most of the advances that the latest version provides (but not all)
which features would not be available by using the 'graft' you propose?

by copying the python files from the latest 64-bit version to the same place in the 32-bit version.  Assuming that you have a 64-bit machine with the latest Gramps 4.2.6 installed, you can copy the sub-directory "c:\Program Files\GrampsAIO64-4.2.6\gramps" to the equivalent spot on your laptop.  You should of course have full backups before trying this, and I am not responsible if it doesn't work 🙁.

Re: Windows 32 bit AIO

adrian.davey
I for one would greatly appreciate a 32-bit version.

I understand it is not a trivial matter for the limited group of
developers, but Iam already unable to respond to bug queries, because I
cannot test the fix.

Adrian

On 2017-11-18 02:11, Paul Culley wrote:
It is not clear just how much need there is for the 32-bit versions.
At this time we do NOT have a formal agreement that 32-bit is dead.

Re: Windows 32 bit AIO

Helge.Privat
For my opinion there is still no real need for a  64 bit version. I
assume there is no database having really the need for such a large
file. But may be there are some extra large Gramps databases in the
world and I'm wrong. But I'm pretty sure a 32 bit Win version fulfils
the needs of at the least the most or may be all Gramps users  and would
run also on a 64 bit Win.

Helge