Wish List Suggestions

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Wish List Suggestions

Jim Winfrey
With a lot of help from a lot of people, especially Alex, I'm
comfortable enough with Linux to start looking at Gramps as a tool to
meet my research and publishing goals.  I am very impressed with the
data entry and presentation tools.  I have noticed that the size of my
database really influences Gramps' execution times.  I started with a
small <2k people database and Gramps was reasonably quick.  But my
master database of >12k really bogs down some operations.  I have a
few suggestions that, if they can be implemented, can really make
execution faster and better.

First, when I edit a Place name, Gramps automagically scans the
database for all references to the name.  In my database this can take
10-15 seconds.  Couldn't the references be maintained in a table in
the database so it didn't have to be resolved for each edit.  I'm
editing numerous places right now so it is particularly noticeable.

Second, same issues with editing sources....

Third, down the line it would be great to have selectable prepositions
for place names.  "In" works fine for a geographic place name but is
awkward when referring to a church, cemetery, etc.  It sounds weird to
say that "Joe was educated in XYZ High School, Sometown.  "At" sounds
better.

Fourth, really long term, the ability to sort Place names from right
to left would be a huge help.  When I prepare for a research trip, I
like to see all events that occurred in a region to make my list of
what I need to look for.  I may be making a mistake including local
sites as part of the Place name and would be happy for somebody to
educate me on a better way.

Thanks,

Jim


-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by the JBoss Inc.
Get Certified Today * Register for a JBoss Training Course
Free Certification Exam for All Training Attendees Through End of 2005
Visit http://www.jboss.com/services/certification for more information
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wish List Suggestions

Alex Roitman
Jim,

Thanks for your feedback!

On Sat, 2005-10-29 at 10:09 -0400, Jim Winfrey wrote:
> First, when I edit a Place name, Gramps automagically scans the
> database for all references to the name.  In my database this can take
> 10-15 seconds.  Couldn't the references be maintained in a table in
> the database so it didn't have to be resolved for each edit.  I'm
> editing numerous places right now so it is particularly noticeable.

While the database is being scanned and the References tab is being
loaded, you should be able to edit the place. The rest of the tabs
should be drawn right away, and the fact that the References tab is
not ready should not prevent you from doing anything, except seeing
the complete References tab. Is it not the case?

> Second, same issues with editing sources....

Same question to you about the sources :-)

> Third, down the line it would be great to have selectable prepositions
> for place names.  "In" works fine for a geographic place name but is
> awkward when referring to a church, cemetery, etc.  It sounds weird to
> say that "Joe was educated in XYZ High School, Sometown.  "At" sounds
> better.

This sounds like a good suggestion. Does it have to go with the place
or rather with the context? In other words, should the proposition be
attached to the place itself, or to the certain report line that may
reference the place? I am not quite clear on that.

> Fourth, really long term, the ability to sort Place names from right
> to left would be a huge help.  When I prepare for a research trip, I
> like to see all events that occurred in a region to make my list of
> what I need to look for.  I may be making a mistake including local
> sites as part of the Place name and would be happy for somebody to
> educate me on a better way.

Here you have lost me. What do you mean by "sort Place names from
right to left"? The Place View lists places top to bottom. Or do
you mean, combine the Country-County-City-Parish hierarchy, going
from large to small divisions? Let me know.

Thanks,
Alex

--
Alexander Roitman   http://www.gramps-project.org

signature.asc (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wish List Suggestions

Alex Roitman
Jim,

On Sat, 2005-10-29 at 22:49 -0400, Jim Winfrey wrote:

>        
>         While the database is being scanned and the References tab is
>         being
>         loaded, you should be able to edit the place. The rest of the
>         tabs
>         should be drawn right away, and the fact that the References
>         tab is
>         not ready should not prevent you from doing anything, except
>         seeing
>         the complete References tab. Is it not the case?
>
>
> No, both the Places and Sources edit capabilities are dead until the
> References finish loading.  The time to get the References collected
> seems pretty consistent regardless of how many references there are
> suggesting that the entire database is being scanned.  Probably a
> correlation between size of database and time to collect the
> References.
You're right, this is indeed the case :-(

Well, keeping the references in a table is probably not an option
for a number of reasons. But maybe we can do this: optionally, we can
skip generating references and replace the contents of the References
tab with the "Collect references" button. This way you with your
large database will disable the automatic references collection.
Then you would be able to get a very quickly loaded Place Editor.
If you find yourself in need of the references list in this regime
then you will switch to the References tab and click the button.
This will take same 10-15 seconds, but it will only happen on request.
And if you decide you can always turn the automatic references
collection back on in the Preferences dialog.

Does this seem like a viable option?

>         This sounds like a good suggestion. Does it have to go with
>         the place
>         or rather with the context? In other words, should the
>         proposition be
>         attached to the place itself, or to the certain report line
>         that may
>         reference the place? I am not quite clear on that.
>
> I hadn't thought that far ahead <BG> but the most straightforward way
> to do would be to attach it to the place.  There is some consistency
> in whether you're dealing with a geographic place or a feature (local
> site) in a geographic site.  For instance I would probably choose the
> preposition "in" for all places that contained the name of a cemetery
> and would choose "at" for places that contained names of schools.
> Best application might be the way the venerable Brothers Keeper does
> it, lets the user select from "in", "from", "at" as the place name is
> entered.
Let us think this one over.

>         > Fourth, really long term, the ability to sort Place names
>         from right
>         > to left would be a huge help.  When I prepare for a research
>         trip, I
>         > like to see all events that occurred in a region to make my
>         list of
>         > what I need to look for.  I may be making a mistake
>         including local
>         > sites as part of the Place name and would be happy for
>         somebody to
>         > educate me on a better way.
>        
>         Here you have lost me. What do you mean by "sort Place names
>         from
>         right to left"? The Place View lists places top to bottom. Or
>         do
>         you mean, combine the Country-County-City-Parish hierarchy,
>         going
>         from large to small divisions? Let me know.
>
> List from large to small divisions and permit sorting on the array in
> that order.
I see. We should be able to come up with something as the time permits.

Alex

--
Alexander Roitman   http://www.gramps-project.org

signature.asc (196 bytes) Download Attachment