Would like to see what changed since certain date

Would like to see what changed since certain date

Michiel Nauta
Hi,

Lately I visited a couple of archives. Typically a few days after, I
wonder why I did only so little. The question even comes up: what did I
actually do? Can Gramps help with this? Can Gramps show, by
filter/gramplet/report what has been changed since a certain date and
time? I know internally Gramps stores changetimes for primary objects
but AFAIK it isn't used anywhere.

Michiel

Re: Would like to see what changed since certain date

Stéphane Charette-2
> actually do? Can Gramps help with this? Can Gramps show, by
> filter/gramplet/report what has been changed since a certain date and
> time? I know internally Gramps stores changetimes for primary objects
> but AFAIK it isn't used anywhere.

We do have timestamps, which are displayed in some of the views.  For example:

1) go to "People" view
2) click on Edit->Column Editor
3) select the last column, called "Last Change"

Problem is, you cannot sort by that column.  People View seems to
always be sorted by lastname-firstname.

Just checked, "Last Change", is also available in "Events" view,
"Sources" view, "Places" view, "Media" view, "Repository" view.

Not available for notes or families.  (I'm certain it could be, just
not implemented today.)

I agree with you.  It would be nice if GRAMPS had a way to
show/sort/filter on the "last change" timestamp.

Stéphane

Re: Would like to see what changed since certain date

Benny Malengier

2008/12/29 Stéphane Charette <[hidden email]>
> actually do? Can Gramps help with this? Can Gramps show, by
> filter/gramplet/report what has been changed since a certain date and
> time? I know internally Gramps stores changetimes for primary objects
> but AFAIK it isn't used anywhere.

We do have timestamps, which are displayed in some of the views.  For example:

1) go to "People" view
2) click on Edit->Column Editor
3) select the last column, called "Last Change"

Problem is, you cannot sort by that column.  People View seems to
always be sorted by lastname-firstname.

Just checked, "Last Change", is also available in "Events" view,
"Sources" view, "Places" view, "Media" view, "Repository" view.

Not available for notes or families.  (I'm certain it could be, just
not implemented today.)

I agree with you.  It would be nice if GRAMPS had a way to
show/sort/filter on the "last change" timestamp.

The person view cannot be sorted for performance reasons. You can export the view to a spreadsheet though, and sort there on the column with the timestamp.
Note however that everytime an object is touched, the timestamp is updated, so it might not always be clear what has changed. Eg, adding an event to a person means something in the event tab changed, the timestamp of the person is updated.

Re: Would like to see what changed since certain date

Michiel Nauta
Hi Stéphane and Benny,

Thanks for your answers. I had forgotten about the view-column editor.

> Note however that everytime an object is touched, the timestamp is updated,
> so it might not always be clear what has changed. Eg, adding an event to a
> person means something in the event tab changed, the timestamp of the person
> is updated.

That is exactly what I want.

The easiest solution seemed to me to write my own filter. So far I like
it, so I just made a feature request (with patch). Hopefully others can
find a use for it as well. My use case seems common enough though:
precious time in an archive that is better spend searching then
recording things correctly implying adding the bells and witless later
as homework.

2009/1/9 Michiel Nauta <[hidden email]>
Hi Stéphane and Benny,

Thanks for your answers. I had forgotten about the view-column editor.

> Note however that everytime an object is touched, the timestamp is updated,
> so it might not always be clear what has changed. Eg, adding an event to a
> person means something in the event tab changed, the timestamp of the person
> is updated.

That is exactly what I want.

The easiest solution seemed to me to write my own filter. So far I like
it, so I just made a feature request (with patch). Hopefully others can
find a use for it as well. My use case seems common enough though:
precious time in an archive that is better spend searching then
recording things correctly implying adding the bells and witless later
as homework.

Post a link to the request here.

B.

On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 00:05, Michiel Nauta <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Stéphane and Benny,
>
> Thanks for your answers. I had forgotten about the view-column editor.

When this topic came up over Christmas, I started working on a plugin
that shows a view of all the main database objects sorted by
modification timestamp.

Thing is, I never finished.

Here is a screenshot showing what I have to now:

http://charette.no-ip.com:1234/ModificationTree.png

I don't know when I'll have free time to work on it next.  Is
something like this even useful to people?

Stéphane

Re: Would like to see what changed since certain date

Douglas S. Blank
> On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 00:05, Michiel Nauta <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Stéphane and Benny,
>> Thanks for your answers. I had forgotten about the view-column editor.
>
> When this topic came up over Christmas, I started working on a plugin
that shows a view of all the main database objects sorted by

> modification timestamp.
>
> Thing is, I never finished.
>
> Here is a screenshot showing what I have to now:
>
> http://charette.no-ip.com:1234/ModificationTree.png
>
> I don't know when I'll have free time to work on it next.  Is
> something like this even useful to people?

Yes! But there may be some things we have to change to make this as useful
as one might hope. First, there is this issue:

> > Note however that everytime an object is touched, the timestamp is
> updated,
> > so it might not always be clear what has changed. Eg, adding an event
> > person means something in the event tab changed, the timestamp of the
> person
> > is updated.

I'm not sure how that will effect your fine-grained tree.

By turning on the column "last changed", I realize that it doesn't look
like those times are being preserved through import and exports. I also
see that a mass change (calculate estimated dates, for example) will
change a large number, which doesn't help. Probably both "bugs."

It might be better to populate a list, and then insert the "less than 24
hours ago" -type categories, so you only see the relevant categories, and
there is guaranteed to be something under each one.

Would this be better as a gramplet or a tool? Or a view? This is basically
the kind of information I was trying to capture with the "Session Log"
gramplet, but yours is better for this purpose.

In any event, it would be very useful to me!

-Doug

> Stéphane

Re: Would like to see what changed since certain date

Doug-11
Douglas S. Blank wrote:

>> On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 00:05, Michiel Nauta <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Stéphane and Benny,
>>> Thanks for your answers. I had forgotten about the view-column editor.
>>>
>> When this topic came up over Christmas, I started working on a plugin
>>
> that shows a view of all the main database objects sorted by
>
>> modification timestamp.
>>
>> Thing is, I never finished.
>>
>> Here is a screenshot showing what I have to now:
>>
>> http://charette.no-ip.com:1234/ModificationTree.png
>>
>> I don't know when I'll have free time to work on it next.  Is
>> something like this even useful to people?
>>

> Yes! But there may be some things we have to change to make this as useful
> as one might hope. First, there is this issue:
>

>>> Note however that everytime an object is touched, the timestamp is
>>>
>> updated,
>>
>>> so it might not always be clear what has changed. Eg, adding an event

>>> person means something in the event tab changed, the timestamp of the
>>>
>> person
>>
>>> is updated.
>>>

> I'm not sure how that will effect your fine-grained tree.
>
> By turning on the column "last changed", I realize that it doesn't look
> like those times are being preserved through import and exports. I also
> see that a mass change (calculate estimated dates, for example) will
> change a large number, which doesn't help. Probably both "bugs."
>
> It might be better to populate a list, and then insert the "less than 24
> hours ago" -type categories, so you only see the relevant categories, and
> there is guaranteed to be something under each one.
>
> Would this be better as a gramplet or a tool? Or a view? This is basically
> the kind of information I was trying to capture with the "Session Log"
> gramplet, but yours is better for this purpose.
>
> In any event, it would be very useful to me!
>
> -Doug

Yes, me too - there have been several occasions recently when it would
have been really invaluable.

Doug