'addresses' and 'places'

Duncan Lithgow
Why are addresses and places not the same thing? Using the same dialogue
etc.

My own way of using places is down to the neighbourhood
(suburb/township) level unless a specific street address is relevant. In
those cases I would have thought I could add a 'place' as an 'address'
but no, they're two completely different things.

Another disadvantage of them not using the same code is that 'address'
doesn't seem to have any memory of previous entries.

Duncan

Re: 'addresses' and 'places'

jerome
> Why are addresses and places not the same thing?

I understand that address should be a place subdivision but maybe with
only title as gramps place reference it is not possible to manage
address with place :(

> Another disadvantage of them not using the same code is that 'address'
> doesn't seem to have any memory of previous entries.

and with address on events (census or residence), there is too many
place entry for the same city with different address !!!
ex: P00 London /  P01 London, 123street / P02 London, 456avenue etc...

There is a post "Difference between Residence events and the Address
tab" on gramps forum ;)

http://forum.gramps-project.org/viewtopic.php?t=90

--
Jérôme Rapinat

Faites de Yahoo! votre page d'accueil sur le web pour retrouver directement vos services pr�f�r�s : v�rifiez vos nouveaux mails, lancez vos recherches et suivez l'actualit� en temps r�el.
Rendez-vous sur http://fr.yahoo.com/set

Re: 'addresses' and 'places'

bm-7
I think this has been discussed on the forums before.

However, when I tried to search, I got the error (on
http://forum.gramps-project.org/search.php)

----------------------------
Could not delete old search id sessions

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 1054 Unknown column 'search_time' in 'where clause'

DELETE FROM phpbb_search_results WHERE search_time < 1147697587

Line : 657
File : search.php
topic before,
but sourceforge is so slow from where I am now that I won't even try.

Benny

Quoting Duncan Lithgow <[hidden email]>:

> Why are addresses and places not the same thing? Using the same dialogue
> etc.
>
> My own way of using places is down to the neighbourhood
> (suburb/township) level unless a specific street address is relevant. In
> those cases I would have thought I could add a 'place' as an 'address'
> but no, they're two completely different things.
>
> Another disadvantage of them not using the same code is that 'address'
> doesn't seem to have any memory of previous entries.
>
> Duncan

Re: 'addresses' and 'places'

Don Allingham
Address and places are not really the same thing. Internally, GRAMPS has
the concept of a "Location". A location contains your traditional
address information.  An Address, is then a Location that has a time
frame associated with it. A Place is a set of information that contains
a list of Locations.

So, as an example, "Aunt Martha's Barn" is a Place. It may not have an
address associated with it. On the other hand, depending on the
timeframe, Berlin has been in Germany, East/West Germany, or even
Prussia. So the same Place can have multiple locations associated with
it, even though it never moved.

An Address, on the other hand, is a single Location for a time period.
For example, I lived in a certain Location in Cincinnati while I was in
college. But, I only lived in this location for a certain period of
time. I've had multiple addresses, each one for a certain period of
time. As an address, I don't care what the previous names of the
Location may have been - I only care about the Location for the range of
time the Address was associated with me.

Don

Duncan Lithgow wrote:

> Why are addresses and places not the same thing? Using the same dialogue
> etc.
>
> My own way of using places is down to the neighbourhood
> (suburb/township) level unless a specific street address is relevant. In
> those cases I would have thought I could add a 'place' as an 'address'
> but no, they're two completely different things.
>
> Another disadvantage of them not using the same code is that 'address'
> doesn't seem to have any memory of previous entries.
>
> Duncan

Re: 'addresses' and 'places'

jerome

Why not like the tool for name (Tools->Database Processing->Extract Information
from names)

1)Select the separator
2)Check the title place
3)Choose a template
4)Extract to the correct field

template 1
City, Code, County, State, Country, [Subdivision]
    with [subdivision] = address or number or phone or district or parish.
template 2
City, [Subdivision], Code, County, State, Country
    with [subdivision] = address or number or phone or district or parish.
template 3
City, parish, County, State, Code, Country, Phone
But you know statistics :(

> I think this has been discussed on the forums before.

I find something like "Difference between Residence events and the Address tab"
on forum
http://forum.gramps-project.org/viewtopic.php?t=90

Jérôme

Re: 'addresses' and 'places'

Stefan Björk
Don,

> Address and places are not really the same thing. Internally, GRAMPS has
> the concept of a "Location". A location contains your traditional
> address information.  An Address, is then a Location that has a time
> frame associated with it. A Place is a set of information that contains
> a list of Locations.

Are these detailed distinction between different terms used in Gramps
documented somewhere? They should be very handy when Gramps is
translated.

I have had problems when translating several terms into swedish (for
example, location, place, city, county, state, province and church
parish could be translated in different ways).

Stefan

--
Stefan Björk, student                http://www.acc.umu.se/~skalman/
Umeå Universitet                                      +46-70-6222437

Re: 'addresses' and 'places'

Duncan Lithgow
On Wed, 2006-05-17 at 13:08 +0200, Stefan Björk wrote:
> I have had problems when translating several terms into swedish (for
> example, location, place, city, county, state, province and church
> parish could be translated in different ways).

indeed, in New Zealand English 'county' and 'state' are not relevant and
'suburb' is missing. I often add (suburb) after dropping the info in
somewhere.

Duncan