ahnenforschung@familie-ihle.de:

Klaus.Kurzmann
Hi!

Same question comes up in the german GRAMPS-L but for an other system.
What about opensuse 13.2 - actual available version is here 4.0.4

Kind regards

Klaus

Re: ahnenforschung@familie-ihle.de:

Michael Skiba
Am Dienstag, 11. August 2015, 09:23:05 schrieb Klaus Kurzmann:
> Hi!
>
> Same question comes up in the german GRAMPS-L but for an other system.
> What about opensuse 13.2 - actual available version is here 4.0.4

Can you elaborate what your actual question is?

I am going to assume that you are wondering when the latest version of GRAMPS
will be available for openSUSE.

According to the openSUSE package search[0] it is already available for the
Tumbleweed branch (the rolling release branch that features the latest
packages). I don't know what openSUSEs policy is for updating packages to
"older" versions of the distribution, you might want to ask that on the
openSUSE side (IRC/Mailinglist/...).

[0] http://software.opensuse.org/package/gramps
--
Kind Regards,
Michael

Re: ahnenforschung@familie-ihle.de:

Hallo Klaus,
> Same question comes up in the german GRAMPS-L but for an other system.
> What about opensuse 13.2 - actual available version is here 4.0.4
On our download site, I don't see anything newer than 4.0.4, that is
assuming that I can recognize a SUSE package. It's a long time since I
used SUSE myself, so I might be missing something.

I use Linux Mint myself, but since I'm quite a curious type, I just
installed opensuse 13.2 inside VirtualBox, and tried to build and
install Gramps 4.2 on that. I got it working in a few minutes, and it
looks OK to me.

If you are daring person, you may try it yourself, using the
instructions on this page:

https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Linux:Build_from_source

This page does not say anything about SUSE itself, but if you know how
to install packages on that, I bet that you will be able to build a test
version, and even install it in the menu, once you decide that it works
for you.

Since I don't know the details of your setup, I can't give you a full
walk-through of the process, but the basics are on the wiki page, and
when I test things, I normally just start, and see if there's any
complaint about missing packages. On my clean opensuse 13.2 install,
those were "intltool" and "python3-bsddb3". I needed the first to make
the build process work, and the second to actually be able to start
Gramps 4.2. I also saw a complaint about missing language files, and
PyICU, but that may be, because I worked with a clean version, without a
previous Gramps 4.0.4 on it. If you have that, PyICU is probably there
already, and I bet that you have the right language settings too.

Like I said, this was just a quick experiment, and if there are
experienced opensuse users on the list, you may get more help from them.
I installed all needed tools with YaST, and that worked.

regards,

Am Dienstag, 11. August 2015, 16:49:12 schrieb Enno Borgsteede:
> On our download site, I don't see anything newer than 4.0.4, that is
> assuming that I can recognize a SUSE package. It's a long time since I
> used SUSE myself, so I might be missing something.

Once again please be more specific, what is "our download site"?

If you're talking about the gramps homepage it is right there:
Download -> Linux -> Via Distribution -> openSUSE -> available versions

The wiki entry might state the wrong version numbers but that is because the
wiki usually lacks a little bit behind.

--
Kind Regards,
Michael

Re: ahnenforschung@familie-ihle.de:

enno
Op 11-08-15 om 17:29 schreef Michael Skiba:
> Am Dienstag, 11. August 2015, 16:49:12 schrieb Enno Borgsteede:
>> On our download site, I don't see anything newer than 4.0.4, that is
>> assuming that I can recognize a SUSE package. It's a long time since I
>> used SUSE myself, so I might be missing something.
> Once again please be more specific, what is "our download site"?
https://sourceforge.net/projects/gramps/

If you click Browse All Files on that, most of our releases appear in
the Stable folder, and for 4.2, you can look inside

https://sourceforge.net/projects/gramps/files/Stable/4.2.0/

When you do that, you see .dmg files for Mac, .deb for Debian/Ubuntu,
and .tar.gz with full source code, and right now that's it, meaning no
Fedora (.rpm), no SUSE (.???), no Windows (.exe). You can sometimes find
more files in older folders, but even in the one for 4.0.4, I don't see
anything SUSE like.

> If you're talking about the gramps homepage it is right there:
> Download -> Linux -> Via Distribution -> openSUSE -> available versions
That's not what I meant, but to my surprise it shows an official 4.2.0
for openSUSE Tumbleweed, with a "1 Click Install" button next to it. And
now I really wonder what that does ...

cheers,

Re: ahnenforschung@familie-ihle.de:

Sebastian Schubert
>> Same question comes up in the german GRAMPS-L but for an other system.
>> What about opensuse 13.2 - actual available version is here 4.0.4

> According to the openSUSE package search[0] it is already available for the
> Tumbleweed branch (the rolling release branch that features the latest
> packages). I don't know what openSUSEs policy is for updating packages to
> "older" versions of the distribution, you might want to ask that on the
> openSUSE side (IRC/Mailinglist/...).
>
> [0] http://software.opensuse.org/package/gramps

Not only for Tubleweed but also for 13.2, several 4.2.0 packages are
available as you can see on this search site. Normally, the normal
openSUSE release are not officially updated with never versions of the
software, only security and major bug fixes. However, other repositories
offer newer versions as in this case. Here,the GNOME:Apps repository is
on official openSUSE repository which you can trust, I suppose. The
home:XXX repositories are by users so here you need to be careful. For
example, the home:sebschub repository is be me. Compared to the official
GNOME:Apps, it offers the PyICU package. The home:sebschub:patched
repository includes some patches to modify gramps the way I like. I
suppose you shouldn't use that.

Sebastian

Am Dienstag, 11. August 2015, 17:59:40 schrieb Enno Borgsteede:
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/gramps/
Now that's a place I totally did not have on my mind ;-)

> If you click Browse All Files on that, most of our releases appear in
> the Stable folder, and for 4.2, you can look inside
>
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/gramps/files/Stable/4.2.0/
>
> When you do that, you see .dmg files for Mac, .deb for Debian/Ubuntu,
> and .tar.gz with full source code, and right now that's it, meaning no
> Fedora (.rpm), no SUSE (.???), no Windows (.exe). You can sometimes find
> more files in older folders, but even in the one for 4.0.4, I don't see
> anything SUSE like.
Packaging is often done by people that actively work with a certain
distribution. Sometimes the happen to be developers too, other times they just
grab the source compile it and package it.

It looks to me that the latter is the case for the openSUSE releases (they use
.rpm too, but some things are handled differently in fedora than in suse, so
those .rpm's are not always interchargable).

I think it is generally a good idea to first check your distributions software
channels as those packages usually make sure that you have the required
dependencies for the current version of your distribution and guarantee a
maximum of stabilitiy.

> That's not what I meant, but to my surprise it shows an official 4.2.0
> for openSUSE Tumbleweed, with a "1 Click Install" button next to it. And
> now I really wonder what that does ...
"1 Click Install" is a system that openSUSE implemented to make installing
software not in your current repositories as easy as possible. This gives you
the opportunity to include the repositorie into your repository list (this
might be useful for dependencies, when you try to install something from the
non official repository).

If you click on "noarch" you can also download the .rpm only.

I don't know which version of openSUSE you're running, but I'd recommend that
you click on "show unstable packages" to first check if there is a 4.2 rpm for
your version (there is for 13.2 and 13.1) rather than install the official one
from tumbleweed.

--
Kind Regards,
Michael

Re: ahnenforschung@familie-ihle.de:

Harvey Nimmo
On Tue, 2015-08-11 at 16:49 +0200, Enno Borgsteede wrote:
> Hallo Klaus,
> > Same question comes up in the german GRAMPS-L but for an other system.
> > What about opensuse 13.2 - actual available version is here 4.0.4
> On our download site, I don't see anything newer than 4.0.4, that is
> assuming that I can recognize a SUSE package. It's a long time since I
> used SUSE myself, so I might be missing something.

I use Gramps 4.2 on Opensuse 13.2 and it works perfectly.

You will find that, if you add the 'openSUSE BuildService - GNOME:Apps'
repository, the Gramps 4.2 rpm package is taken from there (and unless I
am mistaken, it will also work under KDE, et al). You should also be
sure that the GTK3-lang pack is installed. Otherwise, you should need
nothing else.

Cheers

Harvey