article in German magazine Linux User

DrMartinus
Hi,

I don't know if this has been mentioned already, and apologize, if it
is the case: In the new issue of Linux User, a German magazine, there
is a four page article about GRAMPS. Just FYI.

Martin
--
Martin Senftleben, Doctor of Philosophy, S.V. University, using Linux
http://www.drmartinus.de/

Re: article in German magazine Linux User

Michaël Van Dorpe
On Mon, 2006-06-12 at 16:38 +0200, Martin Senftleben wrote:
> In the new issue of Linux User, a German magazine, there
> is a four page article about GRAMPS. Just FYI.

Something to add to the list on
http://gramps-project.org/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=12&MMN_position=25:2

The preview on http://www.linux-user.de/ says:
> und [wir] betreiben mit Gramps Ahnenforschung auf professionellem
> Niveau

... which means genealogy on a professional level using gramps.

Apparently, they open their archives partially one month after
publication, and completely after one year. So there's no need to run to
Germany to grab a copy ;-)

Congratulations to the professionals!

Michaël

Re: article in German magazine Linux User

Alex Roitman
On Mon, 2006-06-12 at 16:58 +0200, Michaël Van Dorpe wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-06-12 at 16:38 +0200, Martin Senftleben wrote:
> > In the new issue of Linux User, a German magazine, there
> > is a four page article about GRAMPS. Just FYI.
[snip]
> Apparently, they open their archives partially one month after
> publication, and completely after one year. So there's no need to run to
> Germany to grab a copy ;-)

If I am not mistaken, the July issue becomes available in 2 days
(June 14). So we will see if GRAMPS article has a link to it,
like some do, from the table of contents.

If anybody can translate the article into English it would be great!
Alex

Re: article in German magazine Linux User

Gary Walsh-2
Martin Senftleben wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't know if this has been mentioned already, and apologize, if it
> is the case: In the new issue of Linux User, a German magazine, there
> is a four page article about GRAMPS. Just FYI.

The English magazine Linux Magazine International, from the same
publisher,  had an article in the October '05 issue
(http://www.linux-magazine.com/issue/59).  PDF here:
http://www.linux-magazine.com/issue/59/Gramps_Genealogy.pdf.

--
Gary Walsh Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
[hidden email] http://gwalsh.notw.ca

Am Dienstag, 13. Juni 2006 23:55 schrieb Gary Walsh:

> Martin Senftleben wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I don't know if this has been mentioned already, and apologize,
> > if it is the case: In the new issue of Linux User, a German
> > magazine, there is a four page article about GRAMPS. Just FYI.
>
> The English magazine Linux Magazine International, from the same
> publisher,  had an article in the October '05 issue
> (http://www.linux-magazine.com/issue/59).  PDF here:
> http://www.linux-magazine.com/issue/59/Gramps_Genealogy.pdf.
Yes, but it's a different article. I am actually a bit disappointed by
the German article, the author probably doesn't know what the word
"Fazit" means (in English: "summary"). I let you know what he writes
under this heading [my comments in square brackets]:

"Now you know all important functions of Gramps [I doubt it]. If your
pedegree still remains quite white, you can get more information at
the next family gathering. If you have however technical problems
with the program, contact the German Gramps-community [link is given
as footnote: http://forum.Gramps-project.org/viewforum.php?f=4]"

So, this all has nothing that compares to a summary. But it's all
there is. I won't have time to translate the entire article. Sorry.
The subheadings I can list here:
1. Installation
2. First setup
3. Add persons
4. Relationships
5. Pedegree
6. graphical reports
7. written reports
8. Fazit

It's obvious that this, compressed on four pages and illustrated with
five screenshots, can't cover all functionality of Gramps. But it is
an article alright, with no ads on these four pages.

Cheers!

Martin