automatic discovery tool

GRAMPS - User mailing list
Hi
I am new to Gramps but love it so far
Does anyone know how I can link in my data with data other people have discovered about their families
In other words matches and additions to my data. as in and like the LDS site. Ie data matching

This function seems to be missing from Gramps

Thanks in anticipation
Dereck D G Gray
Dunedin
NZ

Re: automatic discovery tool

paul womack
Dereck & Kaye Gray via Gramps-users wrote:
> Hi
> I am new to Gramps but love it so far
> Does anyone know how I can link in my data with data other people have discovered about their families
> In other words matches and additions to my data. as in and like the LDS site. Ie data matching
>
> This function seems to be missing from Gramps

What data source(s) would you like it to work with?

  BugBear

Op 03-08-18 om 07:10 schreef Dereck & Kaye Gray via Gramps-users:
> Does anyone know how I can link in my data with data other people have discovered about their families
> In other words matches and additions to my data. as in and like the LDS site. Ie data matching
>
> This function seems to be missing from Gramps
It's difficult, because it requires Gramps developers to sign contracts
with sites like Ancestry, FamilySearch, etc., and that doesn't work well
for open software like ours.

So, if you're eager to link data with these sites, I suggest that you
use a package like RootsMagic, which can match your data with the big 4,
i.e. Ancestry, FamilySearch, Find-My-Past, and My Heritage. You can do
that with the free version.

I understand that this advice may sound odd, but if you really want to
share data, paying for the full version (to unlock all features and
reports) is a much better investment than copying data back and forth
between Gramps and any other program.