backing-up the database

David Rowell
I'm a tad confused as to the "correct" procedure.  What I'm about to do
is a fresh install of Ubuntu 7.10 using the same directory structure as
I presently have.  I want to back-up my data - just in case - but I
don't need to take my media files along with it.  Worst case I'll just
reestablish the same directory structure as I now have.  I'm running
version 2.2.8-0.SVN of Gramps.

The relevant choices seem to be "GRAMPS XML database" or "GRAMPS package
(portable XML)" or "Export to CD (portable XML)"  To me it would seem
that "GRAMPS XML database" would do what I need as the other two bring
the media along.

Another question - in the Export to CD option we're confronted with a
"Selecting the file name" window with the current database name
filled-in.  Am I naming the input file or the output file?  If I'm
choosing/naming the output file why is the database name selected???  I
stopped right there!

In the fresh install I'd like to leave my present /home partition
unchanged as it would save a LOT of file restoration from back-up DVD's
and CD's.  What would then happen when I install Gramps?  If I use the
same UserName will I be able to access these files at all or will I be
locked out anyway?

--
Dave Rowell

A pessimist says the glass is half empty.
An optimist says the glass is half full.
An engineer says somebody made the glass
       twice as big as it needed to be.

Re: backing-up the database

Benny Malengier

2007/11/21, David and Janet <[hidden email]>:
I'm a tad confused as to the "correct" procedure.  What I'm about to do
is a fresh install of Ubuntu 7.10 using the same directory structure as
I presently have.  I want to back-up my data - just in case - but I
don't need to take my media files along with it.  Worst case I'll just
reestablish the same directory structure as I now have.  I'm running
version 2.2.8-0.SVN of Gramps.

The relevant choices seem to be "GRAMPS XML database" or "GRAMPS package
(portable XML)" or "Export to CD (portable XML)"  To me it would seem
that "GRAMPS XML database" would do what I need as the other two bring
the media along.

Indeed, XML is your friend. Note that only 99% is exported to XML. As of version 2.2.9 only meta data is missing (grouping names, displayname formats, things not many people use) .

Another question - in the Export to CD option we're confronted with a
"Selecting the file name" window with the current database name
filled-in.  Am I naming the input file or the output file?  If I'm
choosing/naming the output file why is the database name selected???  I
stopped right there!

Don't know

If you don't remove your /home/me/.gramps folder, all your settings will be saved. I believe your databases will just open fine as long as they are in the same directory (see http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Recover_corrupted_grdb ). That is, all your data that gramps uses is in your home directory, part in hidden directory .gramps, part in your normal files. Changing all files but not /home should make everything available as before after upgrade.