backspace key hangs

Rich Lakey
I've had an irritant bug for sometime I have tried to ignore.  Using the backspace key to delete text, the cursor just sits there, hitting the key again nothing happens, then all of a sudden all those depressions of the backspace key kick in and too much is deleted.  Usually hangs for 5 seconds or so. This morning it is hanging for 30 seconds, repeatedly. I am deleting text from a note.
Running a monitor I see the cpu at 100% during the hang. Also the pointer arrow disappears when in the note window.  This is getting serious enough to report. I searched bugs for the word "backspace" with nothing.
I don't believe I have had this problem outside of Gramps, but I may be mistaken.  Also I will need to try and reproduce with the sample DB before reporting.
Anybody else seeing this or have a solution?
Rich

--
Have you backed up your files today?

Re: backspace key hangs

Brad Rogers
On Wed, 22 Feb 2017 09:58:52 -0600
Rich <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Rich,

>Anybody else seeing this or have a solution?

Not the answer you want to read but, I don't have the problem here.  IOW,
backspace key does what's expected of it, nicely.

--
 Regards  _
You criticize us, you say we're sh*t, but we're up here doin' it

Re: backspace key hangs

What program was using that 100% CPU?

On 02/22/2017 09:58 AM, Rich wrote:

> I've had an irritant bug for sometime I have tried to ignore. Using the
> backspace key to delete text, the cursor just sits there, hitting the key
> again nothing happens, then all of a sudden all those depressions of the
> backspace key kick in and too much is deleted.  Usually hangs for 5
> seconds or so. This morning it is hanging for 30 seconds, repeatedly. I am
> deleting text from a note.
> Running a monitor I see the cpu at 100% during the hang. Also the pointer
> arrow disappears when in the note window.  This is getting serious enough
> to report. I searched bugs for the word "backspace" with nothing.
> I don't believe I have had this problem outside of Gramps, but I may be
> mistaken.  Also I will need to try and reproduce with the sample DB before
> reporting.
> Anybody else seeing this or have a solution?
> Rich

Re: backspace key hangs - need someone to test a note

Rich Lakey
I am attaching a note that fails. I would appreciate if someone would paste it into a note, put your cursor behind the "p" in the word Bentrop at the end of the third line. Depress the backspace key and see if the line deletes smoothly.

I'm not quite ready to enter as a bug yet.  I've ran the Python trace without much success as it is hard to find my failing point without a timestamp. And no one here has been able to help me add a timestamp parameter as I expected. Read alot about the trace and it is very basic.

I did run the trace also with output to terminal. That was quite an experience. But it did show Gramps is looping during the time my backspace hangs.

I have been trying to cleanup some of my Dads notes when I don't have time to do more detailed work. He adds several non-related items in the same note making it hard to determine what is in the note from the preview.

I have looked for special characters that have caused issues in the past but don't see any. It still fails with my mods and bug patches removed.
Richnote_backspace_error.note_backspace_error

On 02/24/2017 09:31 AM, Rich Lakey wrote:

> I am attaching a note that fails. I would appreciate if someone would paste
> it into a note, put your cursor behind the "p" in the word Bentrop at the
> end of the third line. Depress the backspace key and see if the line deletes
> smoothly.
>
> I'm not quite ready to enter as a bug yet.  I've ran the Python trace
> without much success as it is hard to find my failing point without a
> timestamp. And no one here has been able to help me add a timestamp
> parameter as I expected. Read alot about the trace and it is very basic.
>
> I did run the trace also with output to terminal. That was quite an
> experience. But it did show Gramps is looping during the time my backspace
> hangs.
>
> I have been trying to cleanup some of my Dads notes when I don't have time
> to do more detailed work. He adds several non-related items in the same note
> making it hard to determine what is in the note from the preview.
>
> I have looked for special characters that have caused issues in the past but
> don't see any. It still fails with my mods and bug patches removed.
> Rich note_backspace_error.note_backspace_error
> <http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/file/n4679101/note_backspace_error.note_backspace_error>

I tried it in a small test tree, and it deletes smoothly.

Re: backspace key hangs - need someone to test a note

Rich Lakey
Thank you Ron.  And if I remember right you are using Linus Mint as I am. So its not some hidden character in my notes. I don't think it is hardware (keyboard) as backspace works find in other programs. The problem does not occur on every note, but seems to occur more often on larger notes.  I found this larger note will fail every time. Put my cursor behind the "p", hit backspace and the "p" deletes and then it hangs for 15 seconds before deleting more.
Not sure where to go from here, since I can't reproduce for developers. I may try to see if I can narrow down the problem in the trace with more perseverance.

Gramps Settings:
----------------
 python    : 3.5.2
 gramps    : 4.2.3
 gtk++     : 3.18.9
 pygobject : 3.20.0
 pango     : 1.38.1
 bsddb     : 6.1.0
 bsddb.db  : 5.3.28
 cairo     : 1.14.6
 pycairo   : 1.10.0
 osmgpsmap : 1.0
 GExiv2    : 0.10
 ICU       : 55.1
 PyICU     : 1.9.2
 o.s.      : linux Mint Cinnamon 18.1
 kernel    : 4.4.0-64-generic

Rich

On 02/24/2017 10:04 AM, Ron Johnson wrote:
[...]

Shame on me for not describing my environment.  The only significant difference I see is that I run v4.2.5 and you run 4.2.3.

Xubuntu 16.04
$ gramps -v
/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gramps/grampsapp.py:203: PyGIWarning: Gtk was imported without specifying a version first. Use gi.require_version('Gtk', '3.0') before import to ensure that the right version gets loaded.
  from gi.repository import Gtk
Gramps Settings:
----------------
 python    : 3.5.2
 gramps    : 4.2.5
 gtk++     : 3.18.9
 pygobject : 3.20.0
 pango     : 1.38.1
 bsddb     : 6.1.0
 bsddb.db  : 5.3.28
 cairo     : 1.14.6
 pycairo   : 1.10.0
 osmgpsmap : 1.0
 GExiv2    : 0.10
 ICU       : 55.1
 PyICU     : 1.9.2
 o.s.      : linux
 kernel    : 4.4.0-53-generic

Environment settings:
---------------------
 LANG      : en_US.UTF-8
 LANGUAGE  : en
 GRAMPSI18N: not set
 GRAMPSHOME: not set
 GRAMPSDIR : not set
 PYTHONPATH:
    /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gramps
    /usr/bin
    /usr/lib/python35.zip
    /usr/lib/python3.5
    /usr/lib/python3.5/plat-x86_64-linux-gnu
    /usr/lib/python3.5/lib-dynload
    /usr/local/lib/python3.5/dist-packages
    /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages

Non-python dependencies: