book reports and stuff like that

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
32 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

book reports and stuff like that

Duncan Lithgow
Hi all,

For my grandmothers 90th birthday I'm compiling her and her husbands
family tree and whatever narrative history I can.

What I simply cannot work out is the best way of including all the info
I have.
* If I make an ancestors report then her siblings get left out
completely
* If I make a descendant report from her eldest known ancestor then many
of her other ancestors are left out

and so on...

I'm not too keen to go through manually and find all the ancestor and
descendant lines I'd need to include everything I have, and even if I
did that then the amount of overlap would be huge and take forever to
manually remove.

Surely someone has found a solution to this? Please tell me.

Duncan



-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by xPML, a groundbreaking scripting language
that extends applications into web and mobile media. Attend the live webcast
and join the prime developer group breaking into this new coding territory!
http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=110944&bid=241720&dat=121642
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: book reports and stuff like that

Brian Matherly-2
> Hi all,
>
> For my grandmothers 90th birthday I'm compiling her and her husbands
> family tree and whatever narrative history I can.
>
> What I simply cannot work out is the best way of including all the info
> I have.
> * If I make an ancestors report then her siblings get left out
> completely
> * If I make a descendant report from her eldest known ancestor then many
> of her other ancestors are left out
>
> and so on...
>
> I'm not too keen to go through manually and find all the ancestor and
> descendant lines I'd need to include everything I have, and even if I
> did that then the amount of overlap would be huge and take forever to
> manually remove.
>
> Surely someone has found a solution to this? Please tell me.
>
> Duncan

Duncan,

I had a similar situation recently. The solution I came up with was to build a report from two different reports:

1) Detailed Ancestor Report for the person of interest
2) Detailed Decentant Report for the parents of the person of interest (so siblings are included)

You can use the Book Report plugin to do this for you.

~Brian





-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by xPML, a groundbreaking scripting language
that extends applications into web and mobile media. Attend the live webcast
and join the prime developer group breaking into this new coding territory!
http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=110944&bid=241720&dat=121642
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: book reports and stuff like that

Bruce DeGrasse
On Monday 03 April 2006 09:19, Brian Matherly wrote:

> > Hi all,
> >
> > For my grandmothers 90th birthday I'm compiling her and her husbands
> > family tree and whatever narrative history I can.
> >
> > What I simply cannot work out is the best way of including all the info
> > I have.
> > * If I make an ancestors report then her siblings get left out
> > completely
> > * If I make a descendant report from her eldest known ancestor then many
> > of her other ancestors are left out
> >
> > and so on...
> >
> > I'm not too keen to go through manually and find all the ancestor and
> > descendant lines I'd need to include everything I have, and even if I
> > did that then the amount of overlap would be huge and take forever to
> > manually remove.
> >
> > Surely someone has found a solution to this? Please tell me.
> >
> > Duncan
>
> Duncan,
>
> I had a similar situation recently. The solution I came up with was to
> build a report from two different reports:
>
> 1) Detailed Ancestor Report for the person of interest
> 2) Detailed Decentant Report for the parents of the person of interest (so
> siblings are included)
>
> You can use the Book Report plugin to do this for you.
>
> ~Brian
>
Brian and Duncan
I had a similar problem a few years ago; I was interested in a report for a
cousins reunion.  Of course, the focus of the report would be my
grandparents. I ended up generating a Detailed Descendant for my grandfather,  
a Detailed Ancestral report for my grandfather and a Detail Ancestral report
for my grandmother.  I then inserted these three OpenOffice reports into an
OpenOffice document as sections, added section pages with borders and picture
of family or grandparent as appropriate, other pictures, foreword and small
table of contents.

The advantages as I saw it,  parts could be maintained individually and full
80 page document could still be printed as a full document.  Short comings,
weak table of contents and index.  

Reminds me, the document needs to be updated and I should do a similar one for
my other grandparents.

Bruce



-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by xPML, a groundbreaking scripting language
that extends applications into web and mobile media. Attend the live webcast
and join the prime developer group breaking into this new coding territory!
http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=110944&bid=241720&dat=121642
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: book reports and stuff like that

Duncan Lithgow
On Mon, 2006-04-03 at 12:40 -0500, Bruce DeGrasse wrote:
> The advantages as I saw it,  parts could be maintained individually and full
> 80 page document could still be printed as a full document.  Short comings,
> weak table of contents and index.  
That's basically the direction I'm going in I think. Is there any good
reason why each new person is not introduced on a single line as a
header? That way one could make an automated index in OOo of everyone in
the report.

I no-one can think of a good reason not to do this I'll make it a
request for enhancement.

Duncan



-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by xPML, a groundbreaking scripting language
that extends applications into web and mobile media. Attend the live webcast
and join the prime developer group breaking into this new coding territory!
http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=110944&bid=241720&dat=121642
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: book reports and stuff like that

Brian Matherly-2
>> The advantages as I saw it,  parts could be maintained individually and full
>> 80 page document could still be printed as a full document.  Short comings,
>> weak table of contents and index.  
>That's basically the direction I'm going in I think. Is there any good
>reason why each new person is not introduced on a single line as a
>header? That way one could make an automated index in OOo of everyone in
>the report.
>
>I no-one can think of a good reason not to do this I'll make it a
>request for enhancement.
>
>Duncan

I've actually been thinking about trying to implement a table of contents extension to the report system. I've had a really hard time finding documentation on how to create indexes in OO and examples of documents with it working.

If anyone knows of any good resources, please share.

Feel free to submit an RFE.

~Brian





-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by xPML, a groundbreaking scripting language
that extends applications into web and mobile media. Attend the live webcast
and join the prime developer group breaking into this new coding territory!
http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=110944&bid=241720&dat=121642
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: book reports and stuff like that

Duncan Lithgow
On Mon, 2006-04-03 at 13:25 -0700, Brian Matherly wrote:
> I've actually been thinking about trying to implement a table of contents extension to the report system. I've had a really hard time finding documentation on how to create indexes in OO and examples of documents with it working.
>
> If anyone knows of any good resources, please share.
Apart from their email lists I can't help with resources.

I've almost got it to work in OOo, the problem is the DDR-First-Entry
and DAR-First_Entry style tags.

I can get an automatic TOC which looks basically like this:

Table of Contents
Descendant Report for Thomas McDonald 1
Generation 1 1
Generation 2 1
Generation 3 2
Generation 4 4
Generation 5 8
Descendant Report for William Lithgow 20
Generation 1 20
Generation 2 20
Generation 3 21
Generation 4 23

What I want, and _could_ get if we can change the python code a wee bit
is this:

Table of Contents
Descendant Report for Thomas McDonald 1
Generation 1 1
   1. Thomas McDonald.
Generation 2 1
   11. Margaret McDonald.
Generation 3 2
   111. Jane (Ginny) MacRae.
   112. John Stuart (Jack) MacRae.
   113. Annie MacRae.

etc...

The only thing in the way of this is that DDR-First-Entry and
DAR-First_Entry style tags cover the entire text of the first entry, not
just the number and name. If it was just the number and name, then the
TOC above would be easy. Do you know how to change that, I'd love a
hack...

Duncan



-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by xPML, a groundbreaking scripting language
that extends applications into web and mobile media. Attend the live webcast
and join the prime developer group breaking into this new coding territory!
http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=110944&bid=241720&dat=121642
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: book reports and stuff like that

Brian Matherly
>I've almost got it to work in OOo, the problem is the DDR-First-Entry
>and DAR-First_Entry style tags.
>
>I can get an automatic TOC which looks basically like this:
>
>Table of Contents
>Descendant Report for Thomas McDonald 1
>Generation 1 1
>Generation 2 1
>Generation 3 2
>Generation 4 4
>Generation 5 8
>Descendant Report for William Lithgow 20
>Generation 1 20
>Generation 2 20
>Generation 3 21
>Generation 4 23
>
>What I want, and _could_ get if we can change the python code a wee bit
>is this:
>
>Table of Contents
>Descendant Report for Thomas McDonald 1
>Generation 1 1
>   1. Thomas McDonald.
>Generation 2 1
>   11. Margaret McDonald.
>Generation 3 2
>   111. Jane (Ginny) MacRae.
>   112. John Stuart (Jack) MacRae.
>   113. Annie MacRae.
>
>etc...
>
>The only thing in the way of this is that DDR-First-Entry and
>DAR-First_Entry style tags cover the entire text of the first entry, not
>just the number and name. If it was just the number and name, then the
>TOC above would be easy. Do you know how to change that, I'd love a
>hack...
>
>Duncan

Duncan,

I haven't forgotten about this. I'd like to play around with things a little in the 2.1 branch. The problem is that I am not an advanced OOo user. Could you give a brief tutorial on how to create an automatic table of contents?

Thanks,

~Brian







-------------------------------------------------------
Using Tomcat but need to do more? Need to support web services, security?
Get stuff done quickly with pre-integrated technology to make your job easier
Download IBM WebSphere Application Server v.1.0.1 based on Apache Geronimo
http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=120709&bid=263057&dat=121642
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: book reports and stuff like that

Duncan Lithgow
On Thu, 2006-04-27 at 09:24 -0700, Brian Matherly wrote:
>
> Duncan,
>
> I haven't forgotten about this. I'd like to play around with things a little in the 2.1 branch. The problem is that I am not an advanced OOo user. Could you give a brief tutorial on how to create an automatic table of contents?
I'm a bit too busy just now to explain how to use it, it took me quite a
while, not very obvious, but now I've got the hang of it. From a book
report I can generate 100+ pages with an index which pics up each report
title and/or generation as a new chapter/section, numbers it and gives
page numbers for them. Footer of each page also says which chapter it
belongs to.

Would you like a copy of that file?

Duncan



-------------------------------------------------------
Using Tomcat but need to do more? Need to support web services, security?
Get stuff done quickly with pre-integrated technology to make your job easier
Download IBM WebSphere Application Server v.1.0.1 based on Apache Geronimo
http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=120709&bid=263057&dat=121642
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: book reports and stuff like that

Brian Matherly

>>
>> Duncan,
>>
>> I haven't forgotten about this. I'd like to play around with things a little in the 2.1 branch. The problem is that I am not an advanced OOo user. Could you give a brief tutorial on how >to create an automatic table of contents?
>I'm a bit too busy just now to explain how to use it, it took me quite a
>while, not very obvious, but now I've got the hang of it. From a book
>report I can generate 100+ pages with an index which pics up each report
>title and/or generation as a new chapter/section, numbers it and gives
>page numbers for them. Footer of each page also says which chapter it
>belongs to.

>Would you like a copy of that file?

That would probably get me started.
 
 Thanks,
 
 ~Brian





-------------------------------------------------------
Using Tomcat but need to do more? Need to support web services, security?
Get stuff done quickly with pre-integrated technology to make your job easier
Download IBM WebSphere Application Server v.1.0.1 based on Apache Geronimo
http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=120709&bid=263057&dat=121642
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: book reports and stuff like that

Duncan Lithgow
On Thu, 2006-04-27 at 11:04 -0700, Brian Matherly wrote:
>
> That would probably get me started.
I've sent that direct to you, but i just realised i've deleted the
index. To get it back
1. put the cursor where you want the index (Table of Contents)
2. select 'Insert > Indexes and Tables... > Index and Tables... click
OK.

It's in that dialog where you click OK that you want to play around,
especially the little button with three dots after
'Create from'
   |x| Outline       |...|

That's where I've been learning, still working on getting the index
font's to be different from the styles they're build from... have fun.
Remind me after May 1 if you're getting stuck. The manual is quite good
though. Search 'chapters' to see how that works if you're interested. As
soon as you see how the index works you'll see why I'd prefer the main
occurrence of each name to be a separate style - then we could do an
automatically generated index of all people in the document.

Duncan



-------------------------------------------------------
Using Tomcat but need to do more? Need to support web services, security?
Get stuff done quickly with pre-integrated technology to make your job easier
Download IBM WebSphere Application Server v.1.0.1 based on Apache Geronimo
http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=120709&bid=263057&dat=121642
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: book reports and stuff like that

Brian Matherly
Thanks,

I'll take a look.

~Brian

----- Original Message ----
From: Duncan Lithgow <[hidden email]>
To: Brian Matherly <[hidden email]>
Cc: [hidden email]
Sent: Thursday, April 27, 2006 1:48:30 PM
Subject: Re: [Gramps-users] book reports and stuff like that

On Thu, 2006-04-27 at 11:04 -0700, Brian Matherly wrote:
>
> That would probably get me started.
I've sent that direct to you, but i just realised i've deleted the
index. To get it back
1. put the cursor where you want the index (Table of Contents)
2. select 'Insert > Indexes and Tables... > Index and Tables... click
OK.

It's in that dialog where you click OK that you want to play around,
especially the little button with three dots after
'Create from'
   |x| Outline       |...|

That's where I've been learning, still working on getting the index
font's to be different from the styles they're build from... have fun.
Remind me after May 1 if you're getting stuck. The manual is quite good
though. Search 'chapters' to see how that works if you're interested. As
soon as you see how the index works you'll see why I'd prefer the main
occurrence of each name to be a separate style - then we could do an
automatically generated index of all people in the document.

Duncan






-------------------------------------------------------
Using Tomcat but need to do more? Need to support web services, security?
Get stuff done quickly with pre-integrated technology to make your job easier
Download IBM WebSphere Application Server v.1.0.1 based on Apache Geronimo
http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=120709&bid=263057&dat=121642
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: book reports and stuff like that

Duncan Lithgow
On Thu, 2006-04-27 at 11:56 -0700, Brian Matherly wrote:
> Thanks,
>
> I'll take a look.
I should mention that the report was made with the OpenOffice plugin,
not the ODT pluign. Then I pasted it into an empty ODT document with all
the styles pre prepared.

Duncan



-------------------------------------------------------
Using Tomcat but need to do more? Need to support web services, security?
Get stuff done quickly with pre-integrated technology to make your job easier
Download IBM WebSphere Application Server v.1.0.1 based on Apache Geronimo
http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=120709&bid=263057&dat=121642
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: book reports and stuff like that

Brian Matherly
In reply to this post by Duncan Lithgow
Duncan,
 
 (pardon the top post)
 
  I've been playing with indexes with Gramps 2.1. What I have right now is that all text reports embed information in the document for each name. So now you can insert an alphabetical index and you will automatically have an alphabetical index of names listing each page where each name appears.
 
  With an alphabetical index of names at the end of my report, I'm trying to decide what I need for a TOC. I'm thinking just the title of each major report.
 
  What do you think?
 
  ~Brian

----- Original Message ----
From: Duncan Lithgow <[hidden email]>
To: Brian Matherly <[hidden email]>
Cc: [hidden email]
Sent: Thursday, April 27, 2006 1:48:30 PM
Subject: Re: [Gramps-users] book reports and stuff like that

On Thu, 2006-04-27 at 11:04 -0700, Brian Matherly wrote:
>
> That would probably get me started.
I've sent that direct to you, but i just realised i've deleted the
index. To get it back
1. put the cursor where you want the index (Table of Contents)
2. select 'Insert > Indexes and Tables... > Index and Tables... click
OK.

It's in that dialog where you click OK that you want to play around,
especially the little button with three dots after
'Create from'
   |x| Outline       |...|

That's where I've been learning, still working on getting the index
font's to be different from the styles they're build from... have fun.
Remind me after May 1 if you're getting stuck. The manual is quite good
though. Search 'chapters' to see how that works if you're interested. As
soon as you see how the index works you'll see why I'd prefer the main
occurrence of each name to be a separate style - then we could do an
automatically generated index of all people in the document.

Duncan






-------------------------------------------------------
All the advantages of Linux Managed Hosting--Without the Cost and Risk!
Fully trained technicians. The highest number of Red Hat certifications in
the hosting industry. Fanatical Support. Click to learn more
http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=107521&bid=248729&dat=121642
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: book reports and stuff like that

Duncan Lithgow
On Mon, 2006-05-29 at 20:33 -0700, Brian Matherly wrote:
> Duncan,
>  
>  (pardon the top post)
>  
>   I've been playing with indexes with Gramps 2.1.
For those wondering, we're talking about reports edited in OpenOffice.
> What I have right now is that all text reports embed information in the document for each name. So now you can insert an alphabetical index and you will automatically have an alphabetical index of names listing each page where each name appears.
>  
>   With an alphabetical index of names at the end of my report, I'm trying to decide what I need for a TOC. I'm thinking just the title of each major report.
>  
>   What do you think?
Hi Brian,

I made each report title a chapter title by giving tham all the same
class (manually) and then made them auto numbered. I used those to
generate the toc. I also had a footer on each page with the name and
number of the chapter. That means I can avoid page numbers and can send
updates just for chapters that I do some work on.

Hope you're having fun with those tools, they're not very obvious i nmy
opinion.

Duncan



_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: book reports and stuff like that

Brian Matherly
Duncan,

>For those wondering, we're talking about reports edited in OpenOffice.

>> What I have right now is that all text reports embed information in the
>> document for each name. So now you can insert an alphabetical
>> index and you will automatically have an alphabetical index of names
>> listing each page where each name appears.
>>  
>> With an alphabetical index of names at the end of my report, I'm trying to decide what I need for a TOC. I'm thinking just the title of each major report.

>I made each report title a chapter title by giving tham all the same
>class (manually) and then made them auto numbered. I used those to
>generate the toc. I also had a footer on each page with the name and
>number of the chapter. That means I can avoid page numbers and can send
>updates just for chapters that I do some work on.


If you don't use page numbers, I guess you wouldn't be interested in an alphabetical index of names and page numbers. This is the part I was most excited about because I can look at the index and see every page that a particular name appears on.

In OOo I can embed a mark by each title without changing the style associated with it. When generating a TOC, you can choose to have it based on the style, or to look for marks. If I embed the marks with each report title, you could make the TOC based on those marks, but you would still have to enter the chapter information manually.

Do you think this would work for you?





_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: book reports and stuff like that

Duncan Lithgow
On Thu, 2006-06-01 at 11:41 -0700, Brian Matherly wrote:
> If you don't use page numbers, I guess you wouldn't be interested in an alphabetical index of names and page numbers. This is the part I was most excited about because I can look at the index and see every page that a particular name appears on.
Well, I agree that it's an important feature, I will just have to keep
thinking about how I can use it without page numbers, there are of
course automatic numbering for chapters.
>
> In OOo I can embed a mark by each title without changing the style associated with it. When generating a TOC, you can choose to have it based on the style, or to look for marks. If I embed the marks with each report title, you could make the TOC based on those marks, but you would still have to enter the chapter information manually.
>
> Do you think this would work for you?
I don't think I understand how this looks or works, do you have a file I
can look at?

Duncan



_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: book reports and stuff like that

Serge Noiraud-2
Le Lundi 12 Juin 2006 12:46, Duncan Lithgow a écrit :
> On Thu, 2006-06-01 at 11:41 -0700, Brian Matherly wrote:
> > If you don't use page numbers, I guess you wouldn't be interested in an alphabetical index of names and page numbers. This is the part I was most excited about because I can look at the index and see every page that a particular name appears on.
> Well, I agree that it's an important feature, I will just have to keep
> thinking about how I can use it without page numbers, there are of
> course automatic numbering for chapters.

I currently have a header and footer page in my ODFDoc.py. I tested it.
They are in comment for the moment. Not currently in SVN.
Do you think we should add this? I think it could be useful for big reports.

I have several problems for that :

 1 - This functionality should be only for the Open Document Format.
       Is it a problem ? ( port to other document format )

 2 - To have a header or a footer, we should have an option ( or two ).
       We could test it ( them ) to generate a header or/and a footer.

 3 - When the document is only one page length, I think these footer and
       header should be unavailable. It depends on the report.

 4 - For the header, I can't generate it, because at the beginning of
       the document creation, the title document is unknown.
       Is there a global var for this ?

 5 - For the footer, I have only the page/nb of page centered.

Any comment ?
 
> >
> > In OOo I can embed a mark by each title without changing the style associated with it. When generating a TOC, you can choose to have it based on the style, or to look for marks. If I embed the marks with each report title, you could make the TOC based on those marks, but you would still have to enter the chapter information manually.
> >
> > Do you think this would work for you?
> I don't think I understand how this looks or works, do you have a file I
> can look at?

As I saw, every reports use it's proper style name.
This style contains always the string title. Do you agree ?
When we have this kind of style, we could add one feature to the style which
means add to the index.
Then we could add a global index at the end ( begining )of the document.
- end or begining could be a report option too like header or footer.

Any comments ?

I can try to look at this.

>
> Duncan

Serge


_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: book reports and stuff like that

Brian Matherly
In reply to this post by Duncan Lithgow
>> In OOo I can embed a mark by each title without changing
>> the style associated with it. When generating a TOC, you
>> can choose to have it based on the style, or to look for marks.
>> If I embed the marks with each report title, you could make
>> the TOC based on those marks, but you would still have to
>> enter the chapter information manually.
>>
>> Do you think this would work for you?

>I don't think I understand how this looks or works, do you have a file I
>can look at?

I have attached a file. There is a TOC at the begining and an index at the end. Gramps does not generate the TOC or index. I added them based on the instructions on the wiki. Gramps embeds the "marks" in the document. The marks are visible as a grey box before each name and title.

I hope this clears things up.

~Brian



_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users

det_ancestor_report.odt (14K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: book reports and stuff like that

Brian Matherly
In reply to this post by Serge Noiraud-2
>I currently have a header and footer page in my ODFDoc.py. I tested it.
>They are in comment for the moment. Not currently in SVN.
>Do you think we should add this? I think it could be useful for big reports.
>
>I have several problems for that :
>
 >1 - This functionality should be only for the Open Document Format.

>       Is it a problem ? ( port to other document format )
>
>2 - To have a header or a footer, we should have an option ( or two ).
>       We could test it ( them ) to generate a header or/and a footer.
>
>3 - When the document is only one page length, I think these footer and
>       header should be unavailable. It depends on the report.
>
>4 - For the header, I can't generate it, because at the beginning of
>       the document creation, the title document is unknown.
>       Is there a global var for this ?
>
>5 - For the footer, I have only the page/nb of page centered.
>
>Any comment ?
 
I have personally been torn on this issue myself for some time. On the one hand, Gramps could take advantage of the power of ODT and add all kinds of neat features at the user's request. On the other hand, those features would be OOo specific and would not make sense for other formats.

My current stance has been to leave the report interface generic and let the user customize the report themselves in OOo. The way I see it, it's not too difficult for the user to add the TOC, Index, Header and Footer after Gramps has put the data in the document. It only takes me about 2 minutes to do it myself.

That's not to say I couldn't be persuaded.

>As I saw, every reports use it's proper style name.
>This style contains always the string title. Do you agree ?
>When we have this kind of style, we could add one feature to the style which
>means add to the index.
>Then we could add a global index at the end ( begining )of the document.
>- end or begining could be a report option too like header or footer.
>
>Any comments ?

That's fundamentally what it does now. Each title has "mark" associated with it that can be used to generate a TOC. You can't use the style to make a TOC because each report has it's own style: "DDR-Title", "DAR-Title", "CIR-Title", etc.

~Brian





_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: book reports and stuff like that

Richard Bos
Op woensdag 14 juni 2006 03:55, schreef Brian Matherly:
> I have personally been torn on this issue myself for some time. On the one
> hand, Gramps could take advantage of the power of ODT and add all kinds of
> neat features at the user's request. On the other hand, those features
> would be OOo specific and would not make sense for other formats.

Why is it OOo specific?  I mean ODT is used by many word processors nowadays,
from that point of view it is not OOo specific.

--
Richard Bos
Without a home the journey is endless


_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
12