branch for gtk 3 conversion

Benny Malengier
All,

I started a branch for the gtk 3 conversion:
http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=GEPS_029:_GTK3-GObject_introspection_Conversion

The sooner we can have that branch working the better. Some help of all will be needed though, it is a lot of work.
As soon as 4 or 5 core developers have this branch working, and big bugs are out of it, this would become trunk. So if you plan large patches in trunk, I would prefer if you get your part working in that branch, then continue hacking in this branch instead of trunk. As said in other mails, this is not git, and merging can be very difficult.

Biggest problem at the moment is:
* glade. I don't know yet if we can keep using our glade files
* treemodels probably will work, still to investigate

Re: branch for gtk 3 conversion

Timo
Op 17-06-12 23:43, Benny Malengier schreef:
> All,
>
> I started a branch for the gtk 3 conversion:
> http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=GEPS_029:_GTK3-GObject_introspection_Conversion
>
> <snip>
>
> Biggest problem at the moment is:
> * glade. I don't know yet if we can keep using our glade files
Make sure to use a version >=3.10 which targets GTK3. Use the "verify
versions and deprecations" option in the settings dialog to see what
should be changed.

Also note that it is now preferred to use GtkGrid over GtkTable.

Timo

2012/6/18 Timo <[hidden email]>
Op 17-06-12 23:43, Benny Malengier schreef:
> <snip>
>
> Biggest problem at the moment is:
> * glade. I don't know yet if we can keep using our glade files
Make sure to use a version >=3.10 which targets GTK3. Use the "verify
versions and deprecations" option in the settings dialog to see what
should be changed.

Also note that it is now preferred to use GtkGrid over GtkTable.

Problem is that our python widgets are no longer understood in current glade as a catalog. That is, there is no longer a library="gladepython", see
src/gui/glade/catalog/grampswidgets.xml

So, I need to test how that goes. Also manually to change gtkcomboboxentry to gtkcombox with a has_entry value. Did not find to do that automatic, and in glade if gives problems if I change the setting has_entry.

Benny

Timo

> * treemodels probably will work, still to investigate
>
> Benny

> Live Security Virtual Conference

Re: branch for gtk 3 conversion

robhealey1
Greetings:

Just so that I am sure of what is going on:
1) we are abandoning trunk branch
2) all development work will now be done in gep 029
3) distutils/ distutils2 work will continue in gep 026

Sincerely yours,
Rob G. Healey

2012/6/19 Rob Healey <[hidden email]>
Greetings:

Just so that I am sure of what is going on:
1) we are abandoning trunk branch
2) all development work will now be done in gep 029
3) distutils/ distutils2 work will continue in gep 026

No. Everybody is invited to have gep 029 working as soon as possible on his PC. Install instructions on the wiki are only for Ubuntu at the moment, add that for your system.

If you develop new things in src/gui, or with Pango, or with Gdk, or with PangoCairo, you are advised to first help out with gep 029, then continue as a patch against gep 029 to make merging easier later. As gtk changed into Gtk, even a small patch in src/gui has high likelyhood to cause conflicts.

With conferences and holidays, I plan to merge gep 029 back into trunk around end of July, beginning of August. Everybody who did not try gep 029 by then will have not be able to postpone this merge. So you might end up with a system that needs upgrade before you can hack on Gramps again.

So if you think it might be a big disaster for a part of the code you care about, make sure you have gep 029 tested before end of July.
If you try the code and obtain error, check existing GTK conversion changes on gep 029 branch to see quickly how to do things:

svn diff -r HEAD:19853 > gtkchanges.diff

2012/6/18 Timo <[hidden email]>
Op 17-06-12 23:43, Benny Malengier schreef:
> <snip>
>
> Biggest problem at the moment is:
> * glade. I don't know yet if we can keep using our glade files
Make sure to use a version >=3.10 which targets GTK3. Use the "verify
versions and deprecations" option in the settings dialog to see what
should be changed.

Also note that it is now preferred to use GtkGrid over GtkTable.

Problem is that our python widgets are no longer understood in current glade as a catalog. That is, there is no longer a library="gladepython", see
src/gui/glade/catalog/grampswidgets.xml

So, I need to test how that goes. Also manually to change gtkcomboboxentry to gtkcombox with a has_entry value. Did not find to do that automatic, and in glade if gives problems if I change the setting has_entry.

Benny

Timo

> * treemodels probably will work, still to investigate
>
> Benny

> Live Security Virtual Conference

Sincerely yours,
Rob G. Healey

Re: branch for gtk 3 conversion

Paul Franklin-5
Ignoring for the moment what you said about trying to use
the new GEPS029 branch, would I be correct to say that what
you want everybody to do is to patch the new GEPS029 branch
whenever we patch trunk?

So that any gramps34 bug fix goes into gramps34 and trunk
and the new GEPS029 branch also, and any new feature or
improvement goes into trunk and the new GEPS029 branch also?

Thanks.

2012/6/19 Paul Franklin <[hidden email]>
Ignoring for the moment what you said about trying to use
the new GEPS029 branch, would I be correct to say that what
you want everybody to do is to patch the new GEPS029 branch
whenever we patch trunk?

So that any gramps34 bug fix goes into gramps34 and trunk
and the new GEPS029 branch also, and any new feature or
improvement goes into trunk and the new GEPS029 branch also?

Only for the gui part. If new features with gui are made, they should not be done for the old Gtk.

Eg, I will not be able to merge the .glade files, so on merge of gep in trunk, all changes in trunk will be gone (so I will select mine-conflict).

Let's put it this way, if you code in trunk, and you see 100 lines of that file have been changed in gep 029, then do the changes in gep 029. Like that you help in the conversion effort.

Re: branch for gtk 3 conversion

John Ralls-2

On Jun 19, 2012, at 2:20 PM, Benny Malengier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2012/6/19 Paul Franklin <[hidden email]>
> Ignoring for the moment what you said about trying to use
> the new GEPS029 branch, would I be correct to say that what
> you want everybody to do is to patch the new GEPS029 branch
> whenever we patch trunk?
>
> So that any gramps34 bug fix goes into gramps34 and trunk
> and the new GEPS029 branch also, and any new feature or
> improvement goes into trunk and the new GEPS029 branch also?
>
> Only for the gui part. If new features with gui are made, they should not be done for the old Gtk.
>
> Eg, I will not be able to merge the .glade files, so on merge of gep in trunk, all changes in trunk will be gone (so I will select mine-conflict).
>
> Let's put it this way, if you code in trunk, and you see 100 lines of that file have been changed in gep 029, then do the changes in gep 029. Like that you help in the conversion effort.

Some dependency issues to chew on: pygoocanvas, osmgpsmap-py, and pyexiv2 are all stuck on Gtk2, and none of them seem to be actively maintained. I'm not sure about graphviz yet -- the way I have it set up it's dependent upon Gtk2, but I haven't tested the latest release. Naturally I'm doing a Mac build, but that's not actually significant right now.

Regards,
John Ralls

2012/6/23 John Ralls <[hidden email]>

On Jun 19, 2012, at 2:20 PM, Benny Malengier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2012/6/19 Paul Franklin <[hidden email]>
> Ignoring for the moment what you said about trying to use
> the new GEPS029 branch, would I be correct to say that what
> you want everybody to do is to patch the new GEPS029 branch
> whenever we patch trunk?
>
> So that any gramps34 bug fix goes into gramps34 and trunk
> and the new GEPS029 branch also, and any new feature or
> improvement goes into trunk and the new GEPS029 branch also?
>
> Only for the gui part. If new features with gui are made, they should not be done for the old Gtk.
>
> Eg, I will not be able to merge the .glade files, so on merge of gep in trunk, all changes in trunk will be gone (so I will select mine-conflict).
>
> Let's put it this way, if you code in trunk, and you see 100 lines of that file have been changed in gep 029, then do the changes in gep 029. Like that you help in the conversion effort.

Some dependency issues to chew on: pygoocanvas, osmgpsmap-py, and pyexiv2 are all stuck on Gtk2, and none of them seem to be actively maintained. I'm not sure about graphviz yet -- the way I have it set up it's dependent upon Gtk2, but I haven't tested the latest release. Naturally I'm doing a Mac build, but that's not actually significant right now.

pygoocanvas might be dropped. Not really an official part but a later addition in addons.

osmgpsmap, Serge should follow that up to what is suitable, I would hope he can help/push to convert. There was a gtk3 branch and rob asked about it https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!msg/osm-gps-map/7E2ao-eilyk/-4sxF8H3BdYJ
Anyway, if a project is no longer developed, then even with GTK3 port, it would not be good to stick with it.

pyexiv might be annoying but Rob played with alternatives before. Don't see why they need GTK actually, at least not for the parts Gramps needs. Also not on the dependencies on their webpage: http://tilloy.net/dev/pyexiv2/developers.html

graphviz is not directly used in Gramps, it is a process we can start. No problem if gtk 2

If those are the features we loose, it would be annoying, but still doable. I can imagine osmgpsmap to convert sometime before we release, if only people start to request it.
I'm afraid we'll loose more however. Still trying to figure out how to get the error icon back when we type a wrong date. All deprecated or removed functionality, with no info on how to port to the new cairo way of doing things. Quite messy. Porting examples are basic stuff whil Gramps is huge application doing all sorts of tricks.
As all upgrades, on one hand you are forced, on the other it is a chicken and egg probem. I still have good hopes.

John Ralls