can't see HTML media object in Narrative Web Report

can't see HTML media object in Narrative Web Report

Doug-11
I imported an html folder as a media object into gramps and could see
the html document in gramps.
I created a Navweb report where the html document was present as a
folder and readable after opening the folder.

However I stupidly did something or other wrong (? I interrupted gramps
while it was preparing a Navweb report?).
I deleted the media object, re-imported it (with some problems) and can
now view it again in gramps.
But when I attempt to create a Navweb report the creation of the media
pages crashes with the message:
"Missing media object: <actual name of the folder>
[Errno 21] Is a directory"

If I carry on, the report is produced OK but without the html document.

Where should I be looking to correct the error(s)?

Doug

Re: can't see HTML media object in Narrative Web Report

Duncan Lithgow-5
2009/2/26 Doug <[hidden email]>:
> I imported an html folder as a media object into gramps

there is really no such thing as an html media folder, it's just a
directory with stuff in. i suggest you make a pdf of the content and
import that. or if you can live without the images use a single page
html file.

there is no universally recognised single file way to have an html
document with images included, but there has been talk about it over
at w3c if you want to burn the midnight oil reading about it.

duncan

Duncan Lithgow wrote:
> 2009/2/26 Doug <[hidden email]>:
>
>> I imported an html folder as a media object into gramps
>>

> there is really no such thing as an html media folder, it's just a
> directory with stuff in.
I realise that, I was using the term loosely to mean a  folder in which
I had put a collection of files created when saving an Open Office
document as html.
> i suggest you make a pdf of the content and
> import that.
I had originally hoped to save as pdf, but it's not an output format
available with OOWriter.

or if you can live without the images use a single page
> html file.

Actually no, I turned to html because I wanted to get the images of the
original document into the Navweb report.
> there is no universally recognised single file way to have an html
> document with images included, but there has been talk about it over
> at w3c if you want to burn the midnight oil reading about it.
>
> duncan

Thanks for your comments, but we've got a little off the point.
I probably haven't been clear in explaining my problem.

Using gramps 2.6.0.4-1; linux Mandriva 2008.1

I had no original problem with the html document. It was viewable in
gramps and came out in a Navweb report with all its images fine.

Then somehow I screwed something up.

(1) After this, gramps was causing problems in re-Adding the "html"
folder as a media object (after I had deleted it to edit some  component
files):
         In Media View the media object was no longer shown  (so it had
apparently been successfully removed)
         Add=> Select a Media Object showed the  "html" folder in the
list of available objects
        Highlighting it and clicking OK gave an error message
                                  "Import failed: the filename supplied
could not be found"
                                   (it was of course present in the
images directory)

(2) Then at the time of my last post I had somehow managed to overcome
the problem (temporarily, unfortunately) and install the "html" folder.
It was then viewable.
I thought the problem as over; but it didn't work with Navweb.  I posted
that problem.

(3) Now, it's gone back to the problems I was having with gramps in (1).
It looks as though some kind of 'history' list has got corrupted.

My question is: What should I do?

Depending on where the corruption is likely to have occurred, I could:

(A) Re-install gramps - which I suspect would be a waste of time
(B) Delete ~/.gramps and restart gramps to create a fresh ~/.gramps
directory
        I have two substantial trees on the database and would need to
export them and also save their archives - a great nuisance, but might
be worth it, or on the other hand a total waste of time if (C) is correct.
(C) Accept there is some corruption in the databases themselves. That
would be a real bummer and I wouldn't know what to do in that case.

I'd be very grateful if anybody can tell me how to correct this, make an
informed guess about the errors, or has any other suggestions.
I'd rather not waste a lot of effort unnecessarily; and I don't want to
make an even bigger mess!!

Doug

Re: can't see HTML media object in Narrative Web Report

jerome
> Using gramps 2.6.0.4-1; linux Mandriva 2008.1

2.6.0.4-1 !!!
It was never released ...

I suppose it is 2.2.x branch, isn't it ? 2.2.6 ?

> Add=> Select a Media Object showed the  "html" folder in the
> list of available objects
>         Highlighting it and clicking OK gave an error message
>                                   "Import failed: the filename supplied
> could not be found"

Maybe a level error ? Did you click on 'OK' after selecting a directory
(folder) or the HTML file ?

> (1).
> It looks as though some kind of 'history' list has got corrupted.

Do not have thumbnail, does not mean you have a corruption.

Oooh, there is no 'Remove unused object' tool on 2.2.x.
You should remove media object without references (last tab after
clicking on the row's object)

> My question is: What should I do?

To make a backup
(export all the database without filter to GRAMPS XML format)

> (A) Re-install gramps - which I suspect would be a waste of time

+1

> (B) Delete ~/.gramps and restart gramps to create a fresh ~/.gramps directory

-1, would be a waste of time and dangerous...

> (C) Accept there is some corruption in the databases themselves. That
> would be a real bummer and I wouldn't know what to do in that case.

If you think there is a lot of corruption on your database, then you
should try the 'database repair' tools.
"Missing media objects. The missing media object is the object whose
file is referenced in the database but does not exist. This can happen
when the file is accidentally deleted, renamed, or moved to another
location."
http://gramps-project.org/gramps-manual/2.2/en/ch03s10.html#tools-db

* 2.2.10 was the last release for 2.2.x serie
It was stable but does Mandriva 2008.1 still provides Gramps-2.2.x ?

* Last stable release is 3.0.4 (3.1 will be released soon ...)
Maybe ,you should think on update after making database backups.
http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Upgrading_from_GRAMPS_2.2.x_to_3.0.x

I hope this could help !
Jérôme

2009/2/27 Doug <[hidden email]>:
> I had originally hoped to save as pdf, but it's not an output format
> available with OOWriter.
Sure there is, but it's under 'Export...' instead of 'Save...'

hth, duncan

Jérôme wrote:
>> Using gramps 2.6.0.4-1; linux Mandriva 2008.1
>
> 2.6.0.4-1 !!!
> It was never released ...
>
> I suppose it is 2.2.x branch, isn't it ? 2.2.6 ?

Aaaargh! Those last two neurones aren't even working together - 2.6 is
Gimp. I meant 3.0.4-1

>> Add=> Select a Media Object showed the  "html" folder in the list of
>> available objects
>>         Highlighting it and clicking OK gave an error message
>>                                   "Import failed: the filename
>> supplied could not be found"
>
> Maybe a level error ? Did you click on 'OK' after selecting a
> directory (folder) or the HTML file ?
It was the directory I was selecting

>> (1).
>> It looks as though some kind of 'history' list has got corrupted.
>
> Do not have thumbnail, does not mean you have a corruption.
>
> Oooh, there is no 'Remove unused object' tool on 2.2.x.
> You should remove media object without references (last tab after
> clicking on the row's object)

Thanks. I'll see if that does the trick.
No, there are no unused media objects in either tree.

>> My question is: What should I do?
>
> To make a backup
> (export all the database without filter to GRAMPS XML format)
>
>> (A) Re-install gramps - which I suspect would be a waste of time
>
> +1
>
>> (B) Delete ~/.gramps and restart gramps to create a fresh ~/.gramps
>> directory
>
> -1, would be a waste of time and dangerous...
>
>> (C) Accept there is some corruption in the databases themselves. That
>> would be a real bummer and I wouldn't know what to do in that case.
>
> If you think there is a lot of corruption on your database, then you
> should try the 'database repair' tools.
> "Missing media objects. The missing media object is the object whose
> file is referenced in the database but does not exist. This can happen
> when the file is accidentally deleted, renamed, or moved to another
> location."
Checked both trees: "No database problems"

> Maybe ,you should think on update after making database backups.
> http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Upgrading_from_GRAMPS_2.2.x_to_3.0.x
Sorry for causing confusion - see above: I'm using 3.0.4-1

I'm not sure where to go now.

Duncan Lithgow wrote:

> 2009/2/27 Doug <[hidden email]>:
>
>> I had originally hoped to save as pdf, but it's not an output format
>> available with OOWriter.
>>
> Sure there is, but it's under 'Export...' instead of 'Save...'
>
> hth, duncan

Duncan, thanks again!
I felt sure OOWriter *could* produce pdfs, but just couldn't find it.
Put it down to too many hours slaving over a hot computer.

Doug

Re: can't see HTML media object in Narrative Web Report - SOLVED (sort of)

Doug-11
For anybody else who might get themselves into a similar pickle:

I ended up deleting  ~/.gramps, having made sure to export my trees as
portable XML, save  all the rev.gramps,v files and a copy of .gramps
itself and my media directory.
I restarted gramps, re-imported the trees, copied back the rev.gramps,v
files, copied back the plugins from the saved original .gramps and also
custom_filters.xml.
Back to square one.

Comparing the re-imported media directory with the original media
directory, I had lost about 80 media images.
Evidently the record of media images used for *export* had been
defective; on the other hand, the record of them in *references* from
persons was still on the tree - in the newly imported tree the images
showed up as "missing".

But in the original tree there were apparently "no database errors", so
in line with my original suspicion
>>> (1).
>>> It looks as though some kind of 'history' list has got corrupted
It now seems I was reporting 3 quite unrelated problems:

(1) Interrupting the Navweb report while it was being created screwed up
one or more media lists .
All the missing media files were ones used in Navweb reports created
during or after the interruption, but when I checked with Database
Repair they didn't show up missing.

(2) The error message "Import failed: the filename supplied could not be
found" was just a red herring.
I was attempting to select at the wrong level, as Jerome thought.

(3)  (a) I was able to create a pdf  for the document with its images as
Duncan said.
But it wasn't suitable for a Navweb report to be seen by someone
inexperienced: it needed a viewer external to the browser. This might be
unavailable, or in my case the viewer option Navweb offered was totally
unsuitable (the Gimp!)

      (b) there was no problem adding the document as html to the media
list; in gramps I could see all the images and tables.
However these didn't come through to the Navweb report - only the bare
text showed.

I think this probably counts as a defect in Navweb.

Doug