cant import backup

JRSibert
gramps 5.1.1, linux mint 19.3

I'm trying to import a gramps backup into a new family tree and get an
error that *.gpkg.media exists and the advice to delete the directory
and retry. When I delete the directory and retry the import, I get an
error extracting into *.gpkg.media.

(I have had this issue through 2 OS upgrades and gramps upgrades).

Thanks for any advice,

John

Re: cant import backup

Ron Johnson
On 1/16/20 4:35 PM, John Sibert wrote:
gramps 5.1.1, linux mint 19.3

I'm trying to import a gramps backup into a new family tree and get an error that *.gpkg.media exists and the advice to delete the directory and retry. When I delete the directory and retry the import, I get an error extracting into *.gpkg.media.

(I have had this issue through 2 OS upgrades and gramps upgrades).

You're not the only one...  I never make "with media" backups.  Ever, for this very reason.

This is what I'd do if I were you:

1. Rename the .gpkg file by adding .gz to the end of it, so that it's now YOURNEWTREE.gpkg.gz
2. gunzip that file into whatever folder you want to be your Media directory.
3. Rename the data.gramps file to YOURNEWTREE.gramps, and move it to ~.
4. Import YOURNEWTREE.gramps into YOURNEWTREE.
5. Then edit the tree's preferences to point the Media folder to the folder you gunzipped YOURNEWTREE.gpkg.gz into.

Voila, you've got a new tree.

I make separate "without media" and Media directory backups.

Re: cant import backup

JRSibert
Ron,

Your advice not to make "with media" backups solved my problem.
Fortunately, I was merely testing how to back up and restore, so there
was not much skin in the game.

My confusion about backup/restore is linked to my previous question
about directories and files. Gramps seems to scatter files all over my
computer and I simply do not know what the files and directories
contain. Frankly, the gramps documentation is a little thin on this
subject. For example, the sentence from the wiki "GRAMPSHOME - if set,
override default path to profile ..." seems simple enough, but is not
very helpful. What is "default path to profile" if GRAMPSHOME is not
set? And what is "profile", for that matter. It would be helpful to have
a complete list of files and directories used by gramps along with a
brief description of how each is used.

I have had a lot of experience developing software and writing user
guides, and have come to the conclusion that it is difficult for
software developers (programmers) to write good documentation. They are
too knowledgeable about the software and often presume knowledge not
available to users.

I would be willing to help out with writing a wiki page to describe
files and directories, if someone could provide knowledgeable input,

Cheers,
John

On 1/16/20 3:10 PM, Ron Johnson wrote:

> On 1/16/20 4:35 PM, John Sibert wrote:
>> gramps 5.1.1, linux mint 19.3
>>
>> I'm trying to import a gramps backup into a new family tree and get
>> an error that *.gpkg.media exists and the advice to delete the
>> directory and retry. When I delete the directory and retry the
>> import, I get an error extracting into *.gpkg.media.
>>
>> (I have had this issue through 2 OS upgrades and gramps upgrades).
>

> You're not the only one...  I *never* make "with media" backups.
> *Ever*, for this very reason.
>
> This is what I'd do if I were you:
>
> 1. Rename the .gpkg file by adding .gz to the end of it, so that it's
> now YOURNEWTREE.gpkg.gz
> 2. gunzip that file into whatever folder you want to be your Media
> directory.
> 3. Rename the data.gramps file to YOURNEWTREE.gramps, and move it to ~.
> 4. Import YOURNEWTREE.gramps into YOURNEWTREE.
> 5. Then edit the tree's preferences to point the Media folder to the
> folder you gunzipped YOURNEWTREE.gpkg.gz into.
>
> Voila, you've got a new tree.
>
> I make separate "without media" and Media directory backups.
>
> --
> Angular momentum makes the world go 'round.

Re: cant import backup

Ron Johnson
"Gramps seems to scatter files all over my computer" is really puzzling, because I just think that's... wrong.

Databases and config files go in ~/.gramps, while the Backup path and the "Base path for relative media paths" are defined by you in Preferences.  If you ignore "Base path for relative media paths" and just reference media files from wherever they happen to be on your hard drive, that's your doing, not Gramps'.

On 1/17/20 10:10 AM, John Sibert wrote:
[...]

Hi John

The default place where the files are stored can be found here.

https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php/Gramps_5.0_Wiki_Manual_-_User_Directory

You set the location for your media files. In Windows (which I use)
the user files are under AppData which Windows defaults as hidden so
you want to have  easy access to media records which you actively use
and add to.

When importing a *.gpkg media backup, the media files are extracted to
a new folder in your C:\Users\<~username>\ directory (in Windows).
This is to prevent importing into your existing media folder. If you
have been testing the import with media, you have already created the
folder under C:\Users\<~username>\ so the subsequent import is
preventing you from overwriting that folder.  If I remember correctly,
once an import with media is completed, there is a message to find the
new media folder and to move it or set the base media path (in
Preferences) to this location.

So in short, I believe it is this new media folder in
C:\Users\<~username>\ that is causing you the problem.

HTH Dave

On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 11:11 AM John Sibert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ron,
>
> Your advice not to make "with media" backups solved my problem.
> Fortunately, I was merely testing how to back up and restore, so there
> was not much skin in the game.
>
> My confusion about backup/restore is linked to my previous question
> about directories and files. Gramps seems to scatter files all over my
> computer and I simply do not know what the files and directories
> contain. Frankly, the gramps documentation is a little thin on this
> subject. For example, the sentence from the wiki "GRAMPSHOME - if set,
> override default path to profile ..." seems simple enough, but is not
> very helpful. What is "default path to profile" if GRAMPSHOME is not
> set? And what is "profile", for that matter. It would be helpful to have
> a complete list of files and directories used by gramps along with a
> brief description of how each is used.
>
> I have had a lot of experience developing software and writing user
> guides, and have come to the conclusion that it is difficult for
> software developers (programmers) to write good documentation. They are
> too knowledgeable about the software and often presume knowledge not
> available to users.
>
> I would be willing to help out with writing a wiki page to describe
> files and directories, if someone could provide knowledgeable input,
>
> Cheers,
> John
>
> On 1/16/20 3:10 PM, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > On 1/16/20 4:35 PM, John Sibert wrote:
> >> gramps 5.1.1, linux mint 19.3
> >>
> >> I'm trying to import a gramps backup into a new family tree and get
> >> an error that *.gpkg.media exists and the advice to delete the
> >> directory and retry. When I delete the directory and retry the
> >> import, I get an error extracting into *.gpkg.media.
> >>
> >> (I have had this issue through 2 OS upgrades and gramps upgrades).
> >

> > You're not the only one...  I *never* make "with media" backups.
> > *Ever*, for this very reason.
> >
> > This is what I'd do if I were you:
> >
> > 1. Rename the .gpkg file by adding .gz to the end of it, so that it's
> > now YOURNEWTREE.gpkg.gz
> > 2. gunzip that file into whatever folder you want to be your Media
> > directory.
> > 3. Rename the data.gramps file to YOURNEWTREE.gramps, and move it to ~.
> > 4. Import YOURNEWTREE.gramps into YOURNEWTREE.
> > 5. Then edit the tree's preferences to point the Media folder to the
> > folder you gunzipped YOURNEWTREE.gpkg.gz into.
> >
> > Voila, you've got a new tree.
> >
> > I make separate "without media" and Media directory backups.
> >
> > --
> > Angular momentum makes the world go 'round.

Re: cant import backup

Ron Johnson

He uses Linux.

I wonder if an Import  option to specify the new base media path would solve
the problem.

On 1/17/20 10:51 AM, Dave Scheipers wrote:

> [...]
>> files and directories, if someone could provide knowledgeable input,
>>
>> Cheers,
>> John

>>> You're not the only one...  I *never* make "with media" backups.
>>> *Ever*, for this very reason.
>>>
>>> This is what I'd do if I were you:
>>>
>>> 1. Rename the .gpkg file by adding .gz to the end of it, so that it's
>>> now YOURNEWTREE.gpkg.gz
>>> 2. gunzip that file into whatever folder you want to be your Media
>>> directory.
>>> 3. Rename the data.gramps file to YOURNEWTREE.gramps, and move it to ~.
>>> 4. Import YOURNEWTREE.gramps into YOURNEWTREE.
>>> 5. Then edit the tree's preferences to point the Media folder to the
>>> folder you gunzipped YOURNEWTREE.gpkg.gz into.
>>>
>>> Voila, you've got a new tree.
>>>
>>> I make separate "without media" and Media directory backups.

Jeff D
I like that idea Ron.

When I first "imported" my files, it took me awhile to understand that I had to modify all the media links using a utility in gramps.

It would be nice on import to say this is where my media folder is and have the application set every thing up including modifying the database links to the media folder.

Jeff

> [...]

>> files and directories, if someone could provide knowledgeable input,
>>
>> Cheers,
>> John

>>> You're not the only one...  I *never* make "with media" backups.
>>> *Ever*, for this very reason.
>>>
>>> This is what I'd do if I were you:
>>>
>>> 1. Rename the .gpkg file by adding .gz to the end of it, so that it's
>>> now YOURNEWTREE.gpkg.gz
>>> 2. gunzip that file into whatever folder you want to be your Media
>>> directory.
>>> 3. Rename the data.gramps file to YOURNEWTREE.gramps, and move it to ~.
>>> 4. Import YOURNEWTREE.gramps into YOURNEWTREE.
>>> 5. Then edit the tree's preferences to point the Media folder to the
>>> folder you gunzipped YOURNEWTREE.gpkg.gz into.
>>>
>>> Voila, you've got a new tree.
>>>
>>> I make separate "without media" and Media directory backups.

I new he uses Linux, but since I am on Windows, I cannot CONFIRM what
the import is doing with the media on a Linux install. But hopefully I
gave him enough information to go looking.

Asking at the start of a media import where to store the output would
be handy.  The message at the end is easy to blow through leaving you
wondering what happened to them