Quantcast

change marker to all people in the database

change marker to all people in the database

Jack.Warrior
Hi,

First post on the list as I could not find a solution to solve my problem, perhaps someone can assist here...

Well, I have been using until PhpGedView until recently and changed to Gramps.
What I did first was to import my database into Gramps, and it (I ?) messed around a bit with some fields, and I had to check each single entry in Gramps and correct some.
All long my laborious process, when an entry had been cleaned, I marked it as "Complete". Now my 653 entries are finally all up and running (and therefore all marked as Complete) and I would like to reset the marking to Nothing (leave it blank...)

Please tell me I do not have to change this manually 653 times again, I am sure there is a possibility to edit all entry with this setting at once...

Thanks for the help!

Re : change marker to all people in the database

jerome
> Please tell me I do not have to change this manually 653
> times again, I am
> sure there is a possibility to edit all entry with this
> setting at once...

I know one !
Not the nicer method but user keeps the control of data...

1. export your Family Tree to Gramps XML format (without privacy flag or filters). Menu -> Family Trees -> Export -> Gramps XML

2. uncompress your generated .gramps file
Under a console : $ gunzip < data.gramps > data.xml
or download a script
http://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Generate_XML#I_am_confused._How_do_I_extract_editable_XML_from_.gramps_file.3F

3. open data.xml with a simple text editor, and use the replace function, something like from 'marker="complete" ' to ''.

4. rename the modified data.xml to data_modified.gramps

5. import 'data_modified.gramps' into a new Family Tree

Hope this could help.
Jérôme

> First post on the list as I could not find a solution to
> solve my problem,
> perhaps someone can assist here...
>
> Well, I have been using until PhpGedView until recently and
> changed to
> Gramps.
> What I did first was to import my database into Gramps, and
> it (I ?) messed
> around a bit with some fields, and I had to check each
> single entry in
> Gramps and correct some.
> All long my laborious process, when an entry had been
> cleaned, I marked it
> as "Complete". Now my 653 entries are finally all up and
> running (and
> therefore all marked as Complete) and I would like to reset
> the marking to
> Nothing (leave it blank...)
>
> Please tell me I do not have to change this manually 653
> times again, I am
> sure there is a possibility to edit all entry with this
> setting at once...
>
> Thanks for the help!
> Nabble.com.

> The Palm PDK Hot Apps Program offers developers who use
> the
> Plug-In Development Kit to bring their C/C++ apps to Palm
> for a share
> of $1 Million in cash or HP Products. Visit us here for
> more details:
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/dev2dev-palm

Re: change marker to all people in the database

Mary Lynch-2
Jack.Warrior wrote:
> Please tell me I do not have to change this manually 653 times again, I am
> sure there is a possibility to edit all entry with this setting at once...

Here's another possibility:

    * Add a new, temporary person to the database.
    * Run Tools-Utilities-Not Related to find everyone not related to
      the temporary person (this will be everyone in the database)
    * Select the whole list, and change the marker to blank (this takes
      a long time on a big database)
    * Delete the temporary person

I would like to see some tools added to gramps to facilitate multiple
edits like this one. For example, I'd like an easy way to add an
attribute, or a source, to a list of people.

Mary

Re: change marker to all people in the database

Nick Hall-6
Mary,

This is a nice approach.

Exporting to xml is a more general solution, but some people will feel
more comfortable with a Gramps solution.

I agree that it would be useful to be able to edit multiple objects. To
add a source to a list of people, have a look at the third party
AttachSource tool.

Nick.

Mary Lynch wrote:

> Jack.Warrior wrote:
>
>> Please tell me I do not have to change this manually 653 times again, I am
>> sure there is a possibility to edit all entry with this setting at once...
>>

> Here's another possibility:
>
>     * Add a new, temporary person to the database.
>     * Run Tools-Utilities-Not Related to find everyone not related to
>       the temporary person (this will be everyone in the database)
>     * Select the whole list, and change the marker to blank (this takes
>       a long time on a big database)
>     * Delete the temporary person
>
> I would like to see some tools added to gramps to facilitate multiple
> edits like this one. For example, I'd like an easy way to add an
> attribute, or a source, to a list of people.
>
> Mary

Re: change marker to all people in the database

jerome
> have a look at the third party AttachSource tool.

http://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=AttachSourceTool

and SetAttribute tool !
http://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=SetAttributeTool

> Exporting to xml is a more general solution, but some
> people will feel
> more comfortable with a Gramps solution.
>
> I agree that it would be useful to be able to edit multiple
> objects. To
> add a source to a list of people, have a look at the third
> party
> AttachSource tool.
>

> Nick.
>

> Mary Lynch wrote:
> > Jack.Warrior wrote:
> >
> >> Please tell me I do not have to change this
> manually 653 times again, I am
> >> sure there is a possibility to edit all entry with
> this setting at once...
> >>

> > Here's another possibility:
> >
> >     * Add a new, temporary person
> to the database.
> >     * Run Tools-Utilities-Not
> Related to find everyone not related to
> >       the temporary person
> (this will be everyone in the database)
> >     * Select the whole list, and
> change the marker to blank (this takes
> >       a long time on a big
> database)
> >     * Delete the temporary person
> >
> > I would like to see some tools added to gramps to
> facilitate multiple
> > edits like this one. For example, I'd like an easy way
> to add an
> > attribute, or a source, to a list of people.
> >
> > Mary

> > The Palm PDK Hot Apps Program offers developers who
> use the
> > Plug-In Development Kit to bring their C/C++ apps to
> Palm for a share
> > of $1 Million in cash or HP Products. Visit us here
> for more details:
> > http://p.sf.net/sfu/dev2dev-palm

> The Palm PDK Hot Apps Program offers developers who use
> the
> Plug-In Development Kit to bring their C/C++ apps to Palm
> for a share
> of $1 Million in cash or HP Products. Visit us here for
> more details:
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/dev2dev-palm

Re: change marker to all people in the database

Jack.Warrior
Dear Mary and Jérôme;

Thanks for your extremely prompt feedback.
I followed Mary's instructions as it seemed easier to me, plus I am not using Gramps on my Ubuntu yet but in Windows instead.

After 2 minutes of database processing: case solved / case closed!

Thanks again

/Guillaume

Le 03/08/2010 10:37, Mary Lynch-2 [via GRAMPS] a écrit :
Jack.Warrior wrote:
> Please tell me I do not have to change this manually 653 times again, I am
> sure there is a possibility to edit all entry with this setting at once...

Here's another possibility:

    * Add a new, temporary person to the database.
    * Run Tools-Utilities-Not Related to find everyone not related to
      the temporary person (this will be everyone in the database)
    * Select the whole list, and change the marker to blank (this takes
      a long time on a big database)
    * Delete the temporary person

I would like to see some tools added to gramps to facilitate multiple
edits like this one. For example, I'd like an easy way to add an
attribute, or a source, to a list of people.

Mary

Re: change marker to all people in the database

DS Blank
On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 4:37 AM, Mary Lynch
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Jack.Warrior wrote:
>> Please tell me I do not have to change this manually 653 times again, I am
>> sure there is a possibility to edit all entry with this setting at once...
>>

> Here's another possibility:
>
>    * Add a new, temporary person to the database.
>    * Run Tools-Utilities-Not Related to find everyone not related to
>      the temporary person (this will be everyone in the database)
>    * Select the whole list, and change the marker to blank (this takes
>      a long time on a big database)
>    * Delete the temporary person
>
> I would like to see some tools added to gramps to facilitate multiple
> edits like this one. For example, I'd like an easy way to add an
> attribute, or a source, to a list of people.

Your wish has been granted :)

I've just added a new tool to Gramps Addons. In addition to the "Set
Attribute Tool" and the "Attach Source Tool" which already existed,
there is now the "Set Marker Tool". To install these addons, see:

http://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=3.2_Addons

Probably should try this on a backup database, as I wrote this pretty
quickly today.

-Doug