coming from Family tree maker / ancestry

coming from Family tree maker / ancestry

Jeff D

Hi-

I understand I have to convert my family tree to gedcom to import into gramps, but how do I transfer the linked pictures from family tree maker / ancestry?

Thanks-

Jeff

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

unify similar surmanes ??

Pamies info

Please help-me:

How to unify or combine similar surmanes ?

Thanks

Ramon

Re: unify similar surmanes ??

Ron Johnson
On 9/19/19 7:20 PM, Pamies info wrote:

Please help-me:

How to unify or combine similar surmanes ?

Please clarify what you're asking, because changing your dead ancestors' names just to "clean things up" is a Very Bad Idea, since you're changing history.  It'll make your job harder when doing more research, and deceive not just  yourself but everyone else who reads your genealogy.

Re: coming from Family tree maker / ancestry

Welcome Jeff

Have you imported your GEDCOM into a Gramps database?  If so, there
will be the Media list. Each media object will have a record that is
linked to other Gramps objects, people, event, citation, etc

If the photos/media are located on your hard drive, you can point
Gramps to your main media folder. Under the Edit menu, there will be
Preferences. On the General tab you can set the base path to your
media directory. As Sam has pointed out, the Media Manager tool and
Media Verify can help with this process.

https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_5.1_Wiki_Manual_-_Tools#Media_Manager

https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php/Media_Verify_Tool

If your photos/media are on the web, there is a tool available
"Download Media Files from the Internet". A caveat, I have never used
it.  But as I understand it, the Gramps media path will have the url
address of the photo. Looking at the tools code, the directory where
the media will be stored will be c:\users\%you%\mediadir

https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php/Addon:DownloadMedia

Good luck, Dave

On Thu, Sep 19, 2019 at 6:25 PM Jeff D <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi-
>

> I understand I have to convert my family tree to gedcom to import into gramps, but how do I transfer the linked pictures from family tree maker / ancestry?
>

> Thanks-
>
> Jeff
>

> Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Re: unify similar surmanes ??

Hi Ramon

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but there is a "Group
As" function in the name editor. I posted how I do use it.

https://sourceforge.net/p/gramps/mailman/message/36617953/

Dave

On Thu, Sep 19, 2019 at 8:21 PM Pamies info <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Please help-me:
>
> How to unify or combine similar surmanes ?
>
> Thanks
>
> Ramon

Re: coming from Family tree maker / ancestry

Jeff D

Hi-

Thanks for the reply.

I have Family Tree Maker 2017.

I transferred the gedcom file over, but hadn’t transferred the media files.

I did that.

I used the media manager to change the file path to the new local directory.

First attempt did not work….It replaced all the paths of the media files with the new location (repeated over and over).

(ie.  New location was /home/jeff/Documents/family pics, became: /home/jeff/Documents/family pics/home/jeff/Documents/family pics/home/jeff/Documents/family pics/home/jeff/Documents/family pics…etc………..????!!?)

From your experience, does converting Family Tree Maker to gedcom transfer all fields from FTM?  I mean does that method leave any information behind?

Thanks-

Jeff

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Re: coming from Family tree maker / ancestry

Jeff D

I need to be able to change all media paths to an absolute path on my local computer.

Basically, the current path is messed up, I need a way to force an absolute path on to all paths (without consideration of what is on the path now).

Not sure I can do that with the current tool set?

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Re: coming from Family tree maker / ancestry

Dave Scheipers
Hi Jeff

First you need to tell Gramps what the Relative media path is.

>> Menu >> Preferences >> General tab

And maybe an explanation of how Gramps stores the path is in order.

The absolute path would start with c::\... and ending with .jpg

For the relative path (set in Preferences), the media record's path
will start with the folder and file names after the path set in
Preferences. This makes it very easy to move the media folder to new
locations.

So if the relative path is set to "c:\ … \/home\jeff\Documents\family pics"

Using the Media Manager, you can strip out of the path using the
"Replace substring in the path".

Replace "/home/jeff/Documents/family pics"
With ""   [leave blank]

This will remove the multiple occurrences of the path string that you
said occurred in the earlier post.

What you will be left with are the folders and files after "\family pics\"

Using the Media Verify tool will show if any files are missing and if
there are any extra files that do not have a media record. The tool
searches the relative path set in preferences.

Of course, if you have altered the media record paths beyond
comprehension in your previous attempts, it may be worth while to
start from scratch. Delete the current database with the messed up
media paths and create a new family tree and import the GEDCOM to this
new tree. Reset the process. Of course if you have already started to
alter and manipulate the people and places in the first tree, starting
from scratch again may not be something you want to do.

HTH Dave

On Thu, Sep 19, 2019 at 9:12 PM Jeff D <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I need to be able to change all media paths to an absolute path on my local computer.
>

> Basically, the current path is messed up, I need a way to force an absolute path on to all paths (without consideration of what is on the path now).
>

> Not sure I can do that with the current tool set?
>

> Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Patrick Gerlier
Hi Ramon,

As Ron Johnson already mentioned, changing names is not a good idea.

I keep all name variants, be it a simple misspelling in a record,
through the Names tab in a person record. This way, when I'm looking for
a name, I don't care if the name is the canonical one or a variant and
I'm guaranteed to find the individual.

The Group As function (see Dave Scheipers's answer) groups together
persons under the given key (related or not to names, it is your choice
but canonical name is the usual key) in the narrative web report.
Unfortunately (or as expected) the grouping does not occur in the person
list view.

However, you can force the grouping by choosing the canonical name as
"preferred" name.

Tolls are available for your needs; it up to you to decide how you use it.

Patrick

Le 20/09/2019 à 02:39, Dave Scheipers a écrit :

> Hi Ramon
>
> Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but there is a "Group
> As" function in the name editor. I posted how I do use it.
>
> https://sourceforge.net/p/gramps/mailman/message/36617953/
>
> Dave
>
> On Thu, Sep 19, 2019 at 8:21 PM Pamies info <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> Please help-me:
>>
>> How to unify or combine similar surmanes ?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Ramon

Re: coming from Family tree maker / ancestry

Jeff D
Thank you for everyone's help on this.

I was able to finally get the media files connected with the database.

(using replace substring in path).

thanks!

Jeff