converting BSDDB to SQlite3

Rich Lakey

Reading: https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php/DB-API_Database_Backend

I have a question.

But first I have Linux Mint 19.0, Gramps 5.0.1 and have installed sqlite3

Then I need to go to Preferences/Family Tree/Database backend and change BSDDB to SQlite.

Then go to Family Trees/Manage Family Trees select New and create new tree that should show as SQlite database type. Into that Database I then import my backup.

The next part is my question.

directions say: Once you have a database, you can edit the settings.ini file in your grampsdb/*/ directory. from  database.backend:bsddb to
database.backend:sqlite

for my system this seems wrong.  I have ~/.gramps/gramps50/gramps.ini

In that I have:

[database]
autobackup=3
;;backend='bsddb'

Is this what I change to sqlite ?

[database]
autobackup=3
;;backend='sqlite'

Rich

Re: converting BSDDB to SQlite3

Nick Hall
On 03/04/2019 16:13, Rich Lakey wrote:
Once you have a database, you can edit the settings.ini file in your grampsdb/*/ directory.

There is no settings file in the database directory.  The database type is stored in a file called "database.txt" - don't modify it!

The value of the backend variable in the "gramps.ini" file determines the default database backend.  This is the backend used when you create a new family tree.

The "Convert" button in the family tree manager simply creates an XML nbackup and imports it into a new family tree.   You can do this yourself manually.

Re: converting BSDDB to SQlite3

Gary Bussiere
Don't change the gramps.ini file. The page you reference is part of a
GEPS page. (Gramps Enhancement Proposals) Mainly used by the Developers
from what I understand.

The first part seems ok. All your new trees that you create will be
using the SQLite database type.

Gary

On 4/3/19 11:13 AM, Rich Lakey wrote:

> Reading: https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php/DB-API_Database_Backend
>
> I have a question.
>
> But first I have Linux Mint 19.0, Gramps 5.0.1 and have installed sqlite3
>
> Then I need to go to Preferences/Family Tree/Database backend and change
> BSDDB to SQlite.
>
> Then go to Family Trees/Manage Family Trees select New and create new
> tree that should show as SQlite database type. Into that Database I then
> import my backup.
>
> The next part is my question.
>

> directions say: Once you have a database, you can edit the
> |settings.ini| file in your |grampsdb/*/| directory. from
> |database.backend:bsddb to |
> ||database.backend:sqlite||
>
> ||for my system this seems wrong.  I have ~/.gramps/gramps50/gramps.ini||
>
> ||In that I have:||
>
> ||[database]
> autobackup=3
> ;;backend='bsddb'||
>
> ||Is this what I change to sqlite ?||

> autobackup=3
> ;;backend='sqlite'||||

Re: converting BSDDB to SQlite3

GRAMPS - User mailing list
The User docs on changing the .ini file are extremely superficial. I think Nick has enough respect for users to expect us to know that changing an .ini file is an Advanced Skill.

So it might be better to simply caution that users without a database background should use the GUI instead of editting the .ini directly. It may take longer but it's safer.

-Brian

On Wed, Apr 3, 2019 at 14:31, Gary B
Don't change the gramps.ini file. The page you reference is part of a
GEPS page. (Gramps Enhancement Proposals) Mainly used by the Developers
from what I understand.

The first part seems ok. All your new trees that you create will be
using the SQLite database type.

Gary

On 4/3/19 11:13 AM, Rich Lakey wrote:

> Reading: https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php/DB-API_Database_Backend
>
> I have a question.
>
> But first I have Linux Mint 19.0, Gramps 5.0.1 and have installed sqlite3
>
> Then I need to go to Preferences/Family Tree/Database backend and change
> BSDDB to SQlite.
>
> Then go to Family Trees/Manage Family Trees select New and create new
> tree that should show as SQlite database type. Into that Database I then
> import my backup.
>
> The next part is my question.
>

> directions say: Once you have a database, you can edit the
> |settings.ini| file in your |grampsdb/*/| directory. from
> |database.backend:bsddb to |
> ||database.backend:sqlite||
>
> ||for my system this seems wrong.  I have ~/.gramps/gramps50/gramps.ini||
>
> ||In that I have:||
>
> ||[database]
> autobackup=3
> ;;backend='bsddb'||
>
> ||Is this what I change to sqlite ?||

> autobackup=3
> ;;backend='sqlite'||||

Re: converting BSDDB to SQlite3

Gary Bussiere
Sorry, Maybe I should have said 'He didn't need to change the gramps.ini
file'. The [database] part will change to 'SQLite' if changed from BSDDB
though the Preferences Screen. No need to edit.

Gary

On 4/3/19 3:55 PM, Emyoulation--- via Gramps-users wrote:

> [...]
>      > Then I need to go to Preferences/Family Tree/Database backend and
>     change
>      > BSDDB to SQlite.
>      >
>      > Then go to Family Trees/Manage Family Trees select New and create
>     new
>      > tree that should show as SQlite database type. Into that Database
>     I then
>      > import my backup.
>      >
>      > The next part is my question.
>      >
>      >
>      > directions say: Once you have a database, you can edit the
>      > |settings.ini| file in your |grampsdb/*/| directory. from
>      > |database.backend:bsddb to |
>      > ||database.backend:sqlite||
>      >
>      > ||for my system this seems wrong.  I have

Rich,

Please take notes on any hiccups along the way.

They'd make useful additions to the online manual.

-Brian

On Wed, Apr 3, 2019 at 20:46, Rich Lakey