corrupt database

Duncan Lithgow
upon opening gramps this evening I get:

Error reading /home/username/lithgow-schmidt/data.gramps

The file is probably either corrupt or not a
valid GRAMPS database.

What do I do now?
I've tried renaming the .bak so I can open it. It's fine but missing
tons of the work I've done, it's actually surprisingly old.

The only thing I can think of that it might have found odd was that last
time I used it I put quite a biot of text into the 'notes' tab of the
person editor. About 3 a4 pages worth to sort out later. Surely that
can't be the problem?

I'll try and stay calm for now, I only had 170 people. Breath in ...
breath out ...

Duncan

Re: corrupt database

Alex Roitman
Duncan,

On Tue, 2005-09-20 at 23:46 +0200, Duncan Lithgow wrote:
> upon opening gramps this evening I get:
>
> Error reading /home/username/lithgow-schmidt/data.gramps
>
> The file is probably either corrupt or not a
> valid GRAMPS database.

Are you sure that this data.gramps file is actually the XML data file?
If you say:
   $ zless /home/username/lithgow-schmidt/data.gramps
does it look sane?

If this is actually grdb file (even though called data.gramps) then it
would explain the problem. If it is XML data, send it to me (privately,
not to the list) and I'll take a look.

> What do I do now?

Stay calm, most likely everything is fine.

Alex