curious student

HeleneDemanet
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: curious student

Peter Hewett-2
Hi Hélène
Yes, Gedcom is widely used for transferring data. It isn't very good,
and is interpreted slightly different in some software. But there aren't
any better alternatives (that I know of).
The folk at FHISO are aiming to come up with a modern standard for
genealogy data. It will be great if a comprehensive and public standard
can be developed and implemented by all the different software.
https://fhiso.org/

HTH

Peter

------------------------
From: Helenedemanet <[hidden email]>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2017 10:55:37 -0700 (MST)
To: [hidden email]
Subject: [Gramps-users] curious student

> Hello everyone!
>
> I'm a university student doing a paper on the evolution of genealogy, after
> a few readings I still have some questions that I hope you can bring some
> answers to, if you don't mind :)
>
> So I've red up a lot about GEDCOM, but the most recent articles (around
> 2010) I found we're putting XML forward as a better format. Is that what you
> think? Is GEDCOM still widely used by amateurs and/or academics?
>
> And, secondly, I'm quite interested in what you are doing with GRAMPS. But
> can you explain to me please the concrete differences with ancestry.com? Is
> GRAMPS linked in any way or not? Have you used it?
>
> Sorry if it seems a bit ignorant I'm just beginning to dive in the subject.
>
> thank you for your time & help ! If you know of any reference that can help
> me, please do tell :)
>
> Hélène
>

> --
> Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-User-f1807095.html

Re: curious student

phil wharram

Hi Helene

GRAMPS is a stand alone computer program similar to BrothersKeeper,
Family Tree MAker etc (except it is free).

Ancestry, FindMyPast, FamilySearch are all web based repositories of
vast amount of historical data with the added facility to construct
family trees

The main difference is that the stand alone programs contain data you
have found and checked against the original documents etc. The family
trees on the websites can be like Wiki filled with junk, and
differentiating the quality trees can be difficult

Regards
Phil
On 05/11/2017 17:55, HeleneDemanet wrote:

> Hello everyone!
>
> I'm a university student doing a paper on the evolution of genealogy, after
> a few readings I still have some questions that I hope you can bring some
> answers to, if you don't mind :)
>
> So I've red up a lot about GEDCOM, but the most recent articles (around
> 2010) I found we're putting XML forward as a better format. Is that what you
> think? Is GEDCOM still widely used by amateurs and/or academics?
>
> And, secondly, I'm quite interested in what you are doing with GRAMPS. But
> can you explain to me please the concrete differences with ancestry.com? Is
> GRAMPS linked in any way or not? Have you used it?
>
> Sorry if it seems a bit ignorant I'm just beginning to dive in the subject.
>
> thank you for your time & help ! If you know of any reference that can help
> me, please do tell :)
>
> Hélène
>

> --
> Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-User-f1807095.html

Re: curious student

There *are* better alternatives.  But software developers must support the
software, and you run into:
(1) a chicken-egg problem, and
(2) more importantly, a company's understandable desire to not make it too
easy to move all your data out of their software.

On 11/05/2017 12:22 PM, Peter Hewett wrote:

> Hi Hélène
> Yes, Gedcom is widely used for transferring data. It isn't very good,
> and is interpreted slightly different in some software. But there aren't
> any better alternatives (that I know of).
> The folk at FHISO are aiming to come up with a modern standard for
> genealogy data. It will be great if a comprehensive and public standard
> can be developed and implemented by all the different software.
> https://fhiso.org/
>
> HTH
>
> Peter
>

> ------------------------
> From: Helenedemanet <[hidden email]>
> Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2017 10:55:37 -0700 (MST)
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [Gramps-users] curious student
>
>> Hello everyone!
>>
>> I'm a university student doing a paper on the evolution of genealogy, after
>> a few readings I still have some questions that I hope you can bring some
>> answers to, if you don't mind :)
>>
>> So I've red up a lot about GEDCOM, but the most recent articles (around
>> 2010) I found we're putting XML forward as a better format. Is that what you
>> think? Is GEDCOM still widely used by amateurs and/or academics?
>>
>> And, secondly, I'm quite interested in what you are doing with GRAMPS. But
>> can you explain to me please the concrete differences with ancestry.com? Is
>> GRAMPS linked in any way or not? Have you used it?
>>
>> Sorry if it seems a bit ignorant I'm just beginning to dive in the subject.
>>
>> thank you for your time & help ! If you know of any reference that can help
>> me, please do tell :)
>>
>> Hélène

Re: curious student

Tina N Fields
Hello Helene,

As I understand it, the GEDCOM is the standard format for transmitting
genealogical data. It is a text file in a specific format, a global
standard. However, as has already been noted by others, not all software
products interpret (or generate) them identically, which diminishes its
practical use as a universal standard.

Since all it is intended to be is a container for the data to be
transmitted, plain text is an excellent vehicle, allowing all -
regardless of operating system platform - to have clear access to the
transmitted data.

Kind regards,
TNF

Tina Norris Fields