customizing place title field in gramps 4.1

customizing place title field in gramps 4.1

Eric Doutreleau
Hi

Is there a way to customize place title field in gramps 4.1?
i would like to change the default behaviour.

Re: customizing place title field in gramps 4.1

Nick Hall
On 30/06/14 11:04, Eric Doutreleau wrote:
> Is there a way to customize place title field in gramps 4.1?

Gramps will automatically populate the place title field for you.
However, you can enter any text you want.

> i would like to change the default behaviour.

What functionality do you want?

Re: customizing place title field in gramps 4.1

Eric Doutreleau
Hi

For example i would like to be able to customize the place title.
i export my data to the french site geneanet and they have some
requirements about place format.
right now i follow them by hand but when i edit places i have to redo it
by hand to change the title from the default behaviour.

for example the title for town would be
town,zip code , county , region, country

but for country it will ne
,,,,,country.

Le 30/06/2014 17:43, Nick Hall a écrit :

> On 30/06/14 11:04, Eric Doutreleau wrote:
>> Is there a way to customize place title field in gramps 4.1?
> Gramps will automatically populate the place title field for you.
> However, you can enter any text you want.
>

>> i would like to change the default behaviour.
> What functionality do you want?
>

> Nick.

Re: customizing place title field in gramps 4.1

enno
Hi Nick,

> For example i would like to be able to customize the place title.
> i export my data to the french site geneanet and they have some
> requirements about place format.
> right now i follow them by hand but when i edit places i have to redo it
> by hand to change the title from the default behaviour.
>
> for example the title for town would be
> town,zip code , county , region, country
>
> but for country it will ne
> ,,,,,country.
My own situation is probably worse than Eric's, because I export to
Dutch sites, to Geneanet, which is located in France, but entirely
multi-lingual, and to Ancestry and FamilySearch, which both seem to
Americanize everything.

Add to that that I prefer to keep titles short, and omit the country
when it is my own, and mostly skip the province too, because most place
names are unique anyway, and the result is that there is no title that
fits all, except for using place (city, village) names only, and let the
sites guess.

GedcomX tries to solve this by allowing multiple titles with a lang
variable added to them, but I'm not even sure whether that is enough,
meaning that I don't know whether Ancestry and FamilySearch speak the
same English, or what they think English is, nor what language to use
for Geneanet. EU maybe? Or NL?

regards,