data/man/gramps.1.in

Peter Landgren
Hi,

I noticed that data/man/gramps.1.in and data/man/fr/gramps.1.in has been added
when I did svn up.

Maybe  I should create a data/man/sv/gramps.1.in. I have never worked with
that type of file. Is there some utility for this type of file, like kbabel
for po-files?

/Peter

Re: data/man/gramps.1.in

Benny Malengier

2008/1/14, Peter Landgren <[hidden email]>:
Hi,

I noticed that data/man/gramps.1.in and data/man/fr/gramps.1.in has been added
when I did svn up.

Maybe  I should create a data/man/sv/gramps.1.in. I have never worked with
that type of file. Is there some utility for this type of file, like kbabel
for po-files?

I don't know and even don't know how the installation works. These files where present  in branch22, we have just upgraded them to reflect the changes.
Doing make and going into the dir data/man and doing 'make install' installs it after which you can test it.

Re: data/man/gramps.1.in

Alex Roitman
On Mon, 2008-01-14 at 20:58 +0100, Benny Malengier wrote:

> 2008/1/14, Peter Landgren <[hidden email]>:
>         Hi,
>
>         I noticed that data/man/gramps.1.in and
>         data/man/fr/gramps.1.in has been added
>         when I did svn up.
>
>         Maybe  I should create a data/man/sv/gramps.1.in. I have never
>         worked with
>         that type of file. Is there some utility for this type of
>         file, like kbabel
>         for po-files?
No idea if there's a tool. I edited gramps.1.in by trial and error.
I am sure there's a lot of docs online about troff/nroff language
that is used for man pages, but I started with an already existed
man page and re-used what was obvious in way of formatting.

If you wish, you may write the data/man/sv/gramps.1.in file, similar
to the main one and the French translation. The plain text editor
should be fine IMHO.

> I don't know and even don't know how the installation works. These
> files where present  in branch22, we have just upgraded them to
> reflect the changes.
> Doing make and going into the dir data/man and doing 'make install'
> installs it after which you can test it.

You can test without installing:
   $ man ./gramps.1.in

The only difference between gramps.1.in and the final gramps.1 is the
version that gets substituted by the configure script.

Once you are happy, you should add "sv" to the SUBDIRS list
in the data/man/Makefile.am so that the new man page is included
in the make/install/package routine.

If somebody takes up maintaining the man page, please feel free
to update the date (says "August 2005") and change the current
maintainer info (says that I am the maintainer, which is no
longer true).

Alex

--
Alexander Roitman   http://gramps-project.org