date format

Dionysis Boukouvalas

Is it possible to have a date format of DD/MM/YYYY, e.g. 21/05/1973?

I don't seem to get the choice in preferences.

Re: date format

Tony Gordon
On 14/06/17 20:38, Dionysis Boukouvalas wrote:

Is it possible to have a date format of DD/MM/YYYY, e.g. 21/05/1973?

I don't seem to get the choice in preferences.

Try "Numerical". That works for me.

Tony

Re: date format

enno

Op 14-06-17 om 11:24 schreef Tony Gordon:
On 14/06/17 20:38, Dionysis Boukouvalas wrote:

Is it possible to have a date format of DD/MM/YYYY, e.g. 21/05/1973?

I don't seem to get the choice in preferences.

Try "Numerical". That works for me.
Isn't that the other way around, like 2017-06-14 ?

I'm in The Netherlands, and modified my copy of Gramps 3.4 to accept 14-06-2017. I can provide the code if someone makes a feature request for this.

Re: date format

John W. Kitz-3
Tony,

On 2017-06-14 11:24, Tony Gordon wrote:
> On 14/06/17 20:38, Dionysis Boukouvalas wrote:
>
>> Is it possible to have a date format of DD/MM/YYYY, e.g. 21/05/1973?

 From the menu bar select Edit -> Preferences -> Display -> Date format,
the rest should be self explanatory.

>> I don't seem to get the choice in preferences.
>  Try "Numerical". That works for me.
>
> Tony

Regards, Jk.

Re: date format

Serge Noiraud-2
Le 14/06/2017 à 10:38, Dionysis Boukouvalas a écrit :

Is it possible to have a date format of DD/MM/YYYY, e.g. 21/05/1973?

I don't seem to get the choice in preferences.

In the preferences, I selected system default (J/M/A)
My language is french.

Serge

Re: date format

Paul Franklin-5
On 6/14/17, Enno Borgsteede <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Op 14-06-17 om 11:24 schreef Tony Gordon:
>> On 14/06/17 20:38, Dionysis Boukouvalas wrote:
>>>
>>> Is it possible to have a date format of DD/MM/YYYY, e.g. 21/05/1973?
>>>
>>> I don't seem to get the choice in preferences.
>>>
>> Try "Numerical". That works for me.
> Isn't that the other way around, like 2017-06-14 ?

Dates like 2017-06-14 are "ISO" -- the first (and default) choice.

Dates like 14/6/2017 (or 6/14/2017) are "numerical" -- the
second choice.  Note that the numerical format depends on
the locale you are in, and so it varies around the world.
(More so in 5.0.0 than in 4.2.5.)  So it might be 14.6.2017
for some people, for example.

Re: date format

On 06/14/2017 03:38 AM, Dionysis Boukouvalas wrote:

Is it possible to have a date format of DD/MM/YYYY, e.g. 21/05/1973?

I don't seem to get the choice in preferences.

This should be frowned upon for the same reason that MM/DD/YYYY is: a third party that you give a document to can't tell when 06/04/1973 is.

Only YYYY-MM-DD and DD-Alpha-YYYY are explicit.

Re: date format

Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI
On Wed, 14 Jun 2017 12:46:01 -0500
Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Only YYYY-MM-DD and DD-Alpha-YYYY are explicit.

Surely, DD/MM/YYYY are explicit about 2/3 of the time, when DD is greater than 12, not to mention that MM/DD/YYYY is used by less than 5% of the world population...  ;-3)

Cheers,

Ron.
--
           As a computer, I find your faith in technology amusing.

                   -- http://www.olgiati-in-paraguay.org --

Re: date format

On 06/14/2017 01:02 PM, Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Jun 2017 12:46:01 -0500
> Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Only YYYY-MM-DD and DD-Alpha-YYYY are explicit.
> Surely, DD/MM/YYYY are explicit about 2/3 of the time,

That's like telling the judge, "But I drive sober 2/3 of the time!!!"

> when DD is greater than 12, not to mention that MM/DD/YYYY is used by less than 5% of the world population...  ;-3)

And why I dislike it as much as DD/MM/YYYY.

Re: date format

Simon C. Tremblay
According to this table,

the despised MDY is potentially used by 850 Millions people, most notably the US. A lot more than 5% of the global population.

Makes sense when you think of it. It follows the way a date is written in English: June 14th, 2017.

Us Canadians, with a clear goal of not hurting anyone's feeling and confusing everyone equally, are using all three.

Simon

On 14 June 2017 at 14:02, Renaud OLGIATI <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, 14 Jun 2017 12:46:01 -0500
Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Only YYYY-MM-DD and DD-Alpha-YYYY are explicit.

Surely, DD/MM/YYYY are explicit about 2/3 of the time, when DD is greater than 12, not to mention that MM/DD/YYYY is used by less than 5% of the world population...  ;-3)

Cheers,

Ron.
--
           As a computer, I find your faith in technology amusing.

Re: date format

Peter (chamdo4ever)
On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 2:28 PM, Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 06/14/2017 01:02 PM, Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 14 Jun 2017 12:46:01 -0500
>> Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Only YYYY-MM-DD and DD-Alpha-YYYY are explicit.
>>
>> Surely, DD/MM/YYYY are explicit about 2/3 of the time,
>

> That's like telling the judge, "But I drive sober 2/3 of the time!!!"

+1

>> when DD is greater than 12, not to mention that MM/DD/YYYY is used by less
>> than 5% of the world population...  ;-3)
>

> And why I dislike it as much as DD/MM/YYYY.

+1

Re: date format

Peter Merchant
On 14/06/17 23:03, Simon C. Tremblay wrote:
According to this table,

the despised MDY is potentially used by 850 Millions people, most notably the US. A lot more than 5% of the global population.

Makes sense when you think of it. It follows the way a date is written in English: June 14th, 2017.

Us Canadians, with a clear goal of not hurting anyone's feeling and confusing everyone equally, are using all three.

Simon

On 14 June 2017 at 14:02, Renaud OLGIATI <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, 14 Jun 2017 12:46:01 -0500
Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Only YYYY-MM-DD and DD-Alpha-YYYY are explicit.

Surely, DD/MM/YYYY are explicit about 2/3 of the time, when DD is greater than 12, not to mention that MM/DD/YYYY is used by less than 5% of the world population...  ;-3)

Cheers,

Ron.
--
           As a computer, I find your faith in technology amusing.

As a Canadian living in England for nearly 40 years, it took me a long time to get my date format sorted, but now I prefer yyyy-mm-dd for most uses, especially file/folder names, as they display nicely in chronological format.

PM

NdK

Re: date format

NdK
Il 15/06/2017 09:17, Peter Merchant ha scritto:

> but now I prefer yyyy-mm-dd for most uses, especially> file/folder names, as they display nicely in  chronological format.
Me too. Too bad for "Y10k bug" that will mess the nice order... But it
will be someone else's problem :)

BYtE,
 Diego

Re: date format

On 06/15/2017 02:17 AM, Peter Merchant wrote:
[snip]

> but now I prefer yyyy-mm-dd for most uses, especially file/folder names,
> as they display nicely in chronological format.

Yeah, I've never understood why people make folder names like mmddyyyy and
ddmmyyyy.  Makes zero sense.