det_descendant_report suggestions

Jean Johnson
hi,

I realize that developer time needs to be spent on the overall development of GRAMPS and how it stores data rather than on a small area such as endnotes of a particular report. So please store these comments away till the time comes that this can be addressed.

I have given a lot of thought to possible improvements to the endnotes of Det_Descendant_Report. Currently the list of sources generated in endnotes is a list of source titles. If the source title is "1840 US Federal Census" not much info is given to the reader since there are many rolls and pages to the census. But adding the data from the field "Vol/Page"  would improve the endnotes. A small problem arises when the source is used multiple times with different data in the "Vol/Page" field. What would be the best way to list the sources in the endnotes?

One solution would be to give the second reference a different number value in the endnotes list, say the first number not being used in the endnotes.

Pros
- a lot more information is given , improving the usefulness of the endnotes

Cons
-more notations in endnotes making endnote section longer.

- The title of the source will be showing up with a lot of different numbers. For example:

 1. 1840 census. Series: XXX; Roll: XXX; Page: XXX

 2. Some Book Title. Chp 2; P. 123 [If an author is listed that can be included too]

 3. .....

 4. 1840 census. Series:XXX; Roll: XYZ: Page: WA

Another solution would be to give the first reference the number, say "1" and to give the first reference to have a different "Vol/Page" , say "1-1". The second reference to have a different "Vol/Page" than source "1" or source "1-1" would be listed as source "1-2" and so forth. For example:

  1. 1840 US Federal Census. Series: XXX; Roll: XXX; Page: XXX

 1-1. Series:XXX; Roll: XYZ; Page: WAB

 1-2. Series: XXX; Roll: XXX; Page: YYY

  2. Some Book Title. Chp 2; P. 123 [If an author is listed that can be included too]

Pros
- a lot of information is being given as with the first solution above.

-there would be a grouping of all pages used from a particular source title.

-The title would only be listed with whole numbers not with 1-1 or 1-2 or 1-3. In these only the "Vol/Page" would be listed.

Cons
-if the user is not consistent and lists sources, for example: "Vol 1, p 10" and also "volume 1, page 10". I f this were to happen the endnotes would not look so good but the user could leave it alone, if he wants to do that, because look good or not a lot of information is being given in the report's endnotes. Or he could take the small amount of time to make the "Vol/Page" field uniform and then regenerate/overwrite the report.

-this may not be the standard way

-as with the first solution the endnote section will be longer.

As for me, I think I would be happy with either idea or possibly some other idea. But while I don't want to steer the main talk away from GRAMPS's overall way of storing data and improvements. Are there any left? Isn't it perfect right now? I really love GRAMPS :) Yet my concern is still to increase the information delivered in the endnotes which would increase their usefulness.

Jean Johnson

Re: det_descendant_report suggestions

bm-7
Jean,

A third option would be to add page, chapter, volume with the
person/event where
the source is coupled too. In literature, one sees sometimes, but rarely, the
solution you present. One more has a sentence like: 'See page 3 of [1]' where
[1] refers to the endnotes section.

I see in the wiki that this report does not have a report specification
yet, see
http://developers.gramps-project.org/tiki-index.php?page=ReportSpecifications
You might consider making an outline of specification, and to add your
suggestion as option (eg Endnotes: 1/as today (collapsed list) 2/Your
suggestion (expanded list with reference info) 3/...)

If working on the wiki sounds like too much work (see howto:
http://developers.gramps-project.org/tiki-index.php?page=HelpOnEditing), you
best make this a feature request on bugs.gramps-project.org, so it does
not get
forgotten. A howto for that exists too:
http://developers.gramps-project.org/tiki-index.php?page=HowToReportBugs

Benny

> [...]
> and also "volume 1, page 10". I f this were to happen the endnotes would not
> look so good but the user could leave it alone, if he wants to do that,
> because look good or not a lot of information is being given in the report's
> endnotes. Or he could take the small amount of time to make the "Vol/Page"
> field uniform and then regenerate/overwrite the report.
>
> -this may not be the standard way
>
> -as with the first solution the endnote section will be longer.
>
> As for me, I think I would be happy with either idea or possibly some other
> idea. But while I don't want to steer the main talk away from GRAMPS's
> overall way of storing data and improvements. Are there any left? Isn't it
> perfect right now? I really love GRAMPS :) Yet my concern is still to
> increase the information delivered in the endnotes which would increase

Richard Taylor-2
Jean

I you have the time, and you don't want these useful suggestions to get lost,
it would worth adding them to the ReportSpecification page on the developers
wiki
(http://developers.gramps-project.org/tiki-index.php?page=ReportSpecifications).

Regards

Richard