disconnected individual

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

disconnected individual

Laura Mellen
Hello all,

Finally had a chance to mess with GRAMPS for a bit and have quite a mess in my file and I'm trying to fix some of the stuff.

On my Gramplet page I have "disconnected individual" list of 60 people and when I double click it generates a list of those people. I would like to be able to print that list off.

I tried selecting all and copy/paste into a word processor with no luck. I also tried creating a custom filter and then copy/paste...no luck there either. I also took my filter-generated list and tried to move it to "clipboard". This generated and unexpected error and I was unable to file an error report because it took me to a page at gramps for which I did not know what to do. I finally had to do "print screen" about 5 times to get my list of people to print...there has to be an easier way. Am I just not seeing it?

A second question about disconnected individuals; just what are they? Some do appear to be totally disconnected to anyone. In fact, they are from a different family tree. I have no clue how they got in this family tree unless it was last year when I imported the gedcom.

But some of the individuals ARE attached to others in the tree. Why then would their name(s) appear on this "disconnected" list?

I have many other questions but can only work with GRAMPS a very little bit due to time-restraints so I'll start with just these two questions.

Thank you,
Laura





Use video conversation to talk face-to-face with Windows Live Messenger. Get started.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sponsored by: SourceForge.net Community Choice Awards: VOTE NOW!
Studies have shown that voting for your favorite open source project,
along with a healthy diet, reduces your potential for chronic lameness
and boredom. Vote Now at http://www.sourceforge.net/community/cca08
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: disconnected individual

Peter Landgren
Laura,
I have two suggestions:
> Hello all,
>
> Finally had a chance to mess with GRAMPS for a bit and have quite a mess in my file and I'm trying to fix some of the stuff.
>
> On my Gramplet page I have "disconnected individual" list of 60 people and when I double click it generates a list of those people. I would like to be able to print that list off.
>
> I tried selecting all and copy/paste into a word processor with no luck. I also tried creating a custom filter and then copy/paste...no luck there either. I also took my filter-generated list and tried to move it to "clipboard". This generated and unexpected error and I was unable to file an error report because it took me to a page at gramps for which I did not know what to do. I finally had to do "print screen" about 5 times to get my list of people to print...there has to be an easier way. Am I just not seeing it?
Go to Peoples view and filter out "Disconnected people". Then go to "Family Trees>Export View" and export this view to a CSV file, which you can load into a spreadsheet or text editor.

>
> A second question about disconnected individuals; just what are they? Some do appear to be totally disconnected to anyone. In fact, they are from a different family tree. I have no clue how they got in this family tree unless it was last year when I imported the gedcom.
>
> But some of the individuals ARE attached to others in the tree. Why then would their name(s) appear on this "disconnected" list?

Is it possible that you have duplicate people? One that is "free" and one that is connected?
Regards,
 
Peter Landgren
Talken Hagen
671  94 Brunskog
SWEDEN

0570-530 21
070-635 4719
[hidden email]
skype:pgl4820.2

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sponsored by: SourceForge.net Community Choice Awards: VOTE NOW!
Studies have shown that voting for your favorite open source project,
along with a healthy diet, reduces your potential for chronic lameness
and boredom. Vote Now at http://www.sourceforge.net/community/cca08
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: disconnected individual

Laura Mellen
Thank you Peter, that did it!

As for the second problem, you are right, they were duplicates. Thank you for all your help.

Sincerely,
Laura


>
> Laura,
> I have two suggestions:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > Finally had a chance to mess with GRAMPS for a bit and have quite a mess in my file and I'm trying to fix some of the stuff.
> >
> > On my Gramplet page I have "disconnected individual" list of 60 people and when I double click it generates a list of those people. I would like to be able to print that list off.
> >
> > I tried selecting all and copy/paste into a word processor with no luck. I also tried creating a custom filter and then copy/paste...no luck there either. I also took my filter-generated list and tried to move it to "clipboard". This generated and unexpected error and I was unable to file an error report because it took me to a page at gramps for which I did not know what to do. I finally had to do "print screen" about 5 times to get my list of people to print...there has to be an easier way. Am I just not seeing it?
> Go to Peoples view and filter out "Disconnected people". Then go to "Family Trees>Export View" and export this view to a CSV file, which you can load into a spreadsheet or text editor.
>
> >
> > A second question about disconnected individuals; just what are they? Some do appear to be totally disconnected to anyone. In fact, they are from a different family tree. I have no clue how they got in this family tree unless it was last year when I imported the gedcom.
> >
> > But some of the individuals ARE attached to others in the tree. Why then would their name(s) appear on this "disconnected" list?
>
> Is it possible that you have duplicate people? One that is "free" and one that is connected?
> Regards,
>
> Peter Landgren
> Talken Hagen
> 671 94 Brunskog
> SWEDEN
>
> 0570-530 21
> 070-635 4719
> [hidden email]
> skype:pgl4820.2


Use video conversation to talk face-to-face with Windows Live Messenger. Get started.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sponsored by: SourceForge.net Community Choice Awards: VOTE NOW!
Studies have shown that voting for your favorite open source project,
along with a healthy diet, reduces your potential for chronic lameness
and boredom. Vote Now at http://www.sourceforge.net/community/cca08
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

disconnected individuals part 2

Laura Mellen
In reply to this post by Peter Landgren
Hello again,

In digging deeper, I have discovered many of my disconnected individuals are siblings of those already in my tree. However, in most cases, there are no parents. Upon creating my gramps files from a gedcom, it took these siblings and disconnected them.

When a person in my tree passes away I list the siblings if shown in the paper. Or perhaps it's from a wedding that shows "siblings" I'm not sure. But I do know that I don't have a name for the parents.

How can I connect them as siblings to others already in my database when there are no known parent names?

Thank you!
Laura


> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Gramps-users] disconnected individual
> Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 08:32:04 +0200
> CC: [hidden email]
>
> Laura,
> I have two suggestions:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > Finally had a chance to mess with GRAMPS for a bit and have quite a mess in my file and I'm trying to fix some of the stuff.
> >
> > On my Gramplet page I have "disconnected individual" list of 60 people and when I double click it generates a list of those people. I would like to be able to print that list off.
> >
> > I tried selecting all and copy/paste into a word processor with no luck. I also tried creating a custom filter and then copy/paste...no luck there either. I also took my filter-generated list and tried to move it to "clipboard". This generated and unexpected error and I was unable to file an error report because it took me to a page at gramps for which I did not know what to do. I finally had to do "print screen" about 5 times to get my list of people to print...there has to be an easier way. Am I just not seeing it?
> Go to Peoples view and filter out "Disconnected people". Then go to "Family Trees>Export View" and export this view to a CSV file, which you can load into a spreadsheet or text editor.
>
> >
> > A second question about disconnected individuals; just what are they? Some do appear to be totally disconnected to anyone. In fact, they are from a different family tree. I have no clue how they got in this family tree unless it was last year when I imported the gedcom.
> >
> > But some of the individuals ARE attached to others in the tree. Why then would their name(s) appear on this "disconnected" list?
>
> Is it possible that you have duplicate people? One that is "free" and one that is connected?
> Regards,
>
> Peter Landgren
> Talken Hagen
> 671 94 Brunskog
> SWEDEN
>
> 0570-530 21
> 070-635 4719
> [hidden email]
> skype:pgl4820.2


It’s a talkathon – but it’s not just talk. Check out the i’m Talkathon.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sponsored by: SourceForge.net Community Choice Awards: VOTE NOW!
Studies have shown that voting for your favorite open source project,
along with a healthy diet, reduces your potential for chronic lameness
and boredom. Vote Now at http://www.sourceforge.net/community/cca08
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: disconnected individuals part 2

Martin AA6E
(This releases a bunch of pent-up questions...)

I have a related question.  Is there a preferred way to show names and
persons that are unknown?  Many times, alas, we know a mother's name but
not her maiden name.  Sometimes I see a name like "Mary UNKNOWN", but
this makes for odd looking reports.  Likewise, "Mary ?".

To my mind, gramps should carry a flag with each given and family name,
which would allow for an unknown name.  This would be better than
creating one called "UNKNOWN" or "?".  Report writers could then deal
with that situation in some intelligent way.

Another case that occurs to me:  What if we have an uncertain name?  
I.e., we _think_ it's Mary, but we are unsure.  I suppose this can be
handled by declaring the source to have  "Low Confidence", but the
uncertainty is "hidden" (several dialogs down) to the casual browser.

And yet one more question: How to deal with the possibility of
multiple,  low-reliability sources?  For example, I have one ancestor
with 2 or 3 birth dates!  For now, I am including them all as "low
confidence" sources, but I wonder if there's a better way?

I imagine you could generalize an "unknown" flag to be a confidence
variable (0=unknown, 10=certain), which could be displayed next to any
database field.  As usual, it's easier to suggest than to implement!

Cheers,
Martin

Laura Mellen wrote:

> Hello again,
>
> In digging deeper, I have discovered many of my disconnected
> individuals are siblings of those already in my tree. However, in most
> cases, there are no parents. Upon creating my gramps files from a
> gedcom, it took these siblings and disconnected them.
>
> When a person in my tree passes away I list the siblings if shown in
> the paper. Or perhaps it's from a wedding that shows "siblings" I'm
> not sure. But I do know that I don't have a name for the parents.
>
> How can I connect them as siblings to others already in my database
> when there are no known parent names?
>
> Thank you!
> Laura


--
Martin Ewing, AA6E
[hidden email]
+1-203-315-5160



-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sponsored by: SourceForge.net Community Choice Awards: VOTE NOW!
Studies have shown that voting for your favorite open source project,
along with a healthy diet, reduces your potential for chronic lameness
and boredom. Vote Now at http://www.sourceforge.net/community/cca08
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: disconnected individuals part 2

Benny Malengier
In reply to this post by Laura Mellen
Version 3.0.1 should allow the creation of families without parents. So you could make a family, and add the siblings.
I rewrote the relationship calculator for 3.0.x and allowed for this use case, but it might be that not all reports/tools have been adapted to allow for it.
Let us know if making parentless family resolves the disconnectedness of the person.

Benny

2008/7/14 Laura Mellen <[hidden email]>:
Hello again,

In digging deeper, I have discovered many of my disconnected individuals are siblings of those already in my tree. However, in most cases, there are no parents. Upon creating my gramps files from a gedcom, it took these siblings and disconnected them.

When a person in my tree passes away I list the siblings if shown in the paper. Or perhaps it's from a wedding that shows "siblings" I'm not sure. But I do know that I don't have a name for the parents.

How can I connect them as siblings to others already in my database when there are no known parent names?

Thank you!
Laura


> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Gramps-users] disconnected individual
> Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 08:32:04 +0200
> CC: [hidden email]
>
> Laura,
> I have two suggestions:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > Finally had a chance to mess with GRAMPS for a bit and have quite a mess in my file and I'm trying to fix some of the stuff.
> >
> > On my Gramplet page I have "disconnected individual" list of 60 people and when I double click it generates a list of those people. I would like to be able to print that list off.
> >
> > I tried selecting all and copy/paste into a word processor with no luck. I also tried creating a custom filter and then copy/paste...no luck there either. I also took my filter-generated list and tried to move it to "clipboard". This generated and unexpected error and I was unable to file an error report because it took me to a page at gramps for which I did not know what to do. I finally had to do "print screen" about 5 times to get my list of people to print...there has to be an easier way. Am I just not seeing it?
> Go to Peoples view and filter out "Disconnected people". Then go to "Family Trees>Export View" and export this view to a CSV file, which you can load into a spreadsheet or text editor.
>
> >
> > A second question about disconnected individuals; just what are they? Some do appear to be totally disconnected to anyone. In fact, they are from a different family tree. I have no clue how they got in this family tree unless it was last year when I imported the gedcom.
> >
> > But some of the individuals ARE attached to others in the tree. Why then would their name(s) appear on this "disconnected" list?
>
> Is it possible that you have duplicate people? One that is "free" and one that is connected?
> Regards,
>
> Peter Landgren
> Talken Hagen
> 671 94 Brunskog
> SWEDEN
>
> 0570-530 21
> 070-635 4719
> [hidden email]
> skype:pgl4820.2


It's a talkathon – but it's not just talk. Check out the i'm Talkathon.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sponsored by: SourceForge.net Community Choice Awards: VOTE NOW!
Studies have shown that voting for your favorite open source project,
along with a healthy diet, reduces your potential for chronic lameness
and boredom. Vote Now at http://www.sourceforge.net/community/cca08
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users



-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sponsored by: SourceForge.net Community Choice Awards: VOTE NOW!
Studies have shown that voting for your favorite open source project,
along with a healthy diet, reduces your potential for chronic lameness
and boredom. Vote Now at http://www.sourceforge.net/community/cca08
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: disconnected individuals part 2

Laura Mellen
In reply to this post by Martin AA6E
Thanks all for the heads-up that 3.0 will allow me to create a parent-less family. I have the one "sibling" in the family and will now try and add these disconnected individuals even though there are no parents. I think I didn't dig deep enough because I was unable to figure out how to do it. It's nice to know at least that 3.0 will support it. That means there is a way!

Martin; when I have an unknown name I insert a question mark in place of that name. I've been doing it this way for 10 years now (not with GRAMPS but FTM software). It's too late for me to change this now and it works for me because I know why the question mark is there.  :)

As far as confidence level; I've been inserting/using the low-confidence name and then in SOURCES marking where I got the info...this is, until a better-sourced name comes along. I've not been doing much data entry with GRAMPS and sources there, so have not had this occur using GRAMPS software of anywhere. I've been slow to catch on to how very different "sources" are in GRAMPs and I've also really slowed down on working on my gen lately so I haven't had this happen yet in GRAMPS.

Thanks again,
Laura


> Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 12:22:54 -0400
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Gramps-users] disconnected individuals part 2
>
> (This releases a bunch of pent-up questions...)
>
> I have a related question. Is there a preferred way to show names and
> persons that are unknown? Many times, alas, we know a mother's name but
> not her maiden name. Sometimes I see a name like "Mary UNKNOWN", but
> this makes for odd looking reports. Likewise, "Mary ?".
>
> To my mind, gramps should carry a flag with each given and family name,
> which would allow for an unknown name. This would be better than
> creating one called "UNKNOWN" or "?". Report writers could then deal
> with that situation in some intelligent way.
>
> Another case that occurs to me: What if we have an uncertain name?
> I.e., we _think_ it's Mary, but we are unsure. I suppose this can be
> handled by declaring the source to have "Low Confidence", but the
> uncertainty is "hidden" (several dialogs down) to the casual browser.
>
> And yet one more question: How to deal with the possibility of
> multiple, low-reliability sources? For example, I have one ancestor
> with 2 or 3 birth dates! For now, I am including them all as "low
> confidence" sources, but I wonder if there's a better way?
>
> I imagine you could generalize an "unknown" flag to be a confidence
> variable (0=unknown, 10=certain), which could be displayed next to any
> database field. As usual, it's easier to suggest than to implement!
>
> Cheers,
> Martin
>
> Laura Mellen wrote:
> > Hello again,
> >
> > In digging deeper, I have discovered many of my disconnected
> > individuals are siblings of those already in my tree. However, in most
> > cases, there are no parents. Upon creating my gramps files from a
> > gedcom, it took these siblings and disconnected them.
> >
> > When a person in my tree passes away I list the siblings if shown in
> > the paper. Or perhaps it's from a wedding that shows "siblings" I'm
> > not sure. But I do know that I don't have a name for the parents.
> >
> > How can I connect them as siblings to others already in my database
> > when there are no known parent names?
> >
> > Thank you!
> > Laura
>
>
> --
> Martin Ewing, AA6E
> [hidden email]
> +1-203-315-5160
>
>
>
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Sponsored by: SourceForge.net Community Choice Awards: VOTE NOW!
> Studies have shown that voting for your favorite open source project,
> along with a healthy diet, reduces your potential for chronic lameness
> and boredom. Vote Now at http://www.sourceforge.net/community/cca08
> _______________________________________________
> Gramps-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users


Use video conversation to talk face-to-face with Windows Live Messenger. Get started.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sponsored by: SourceForge.net Community Choice Awards: VOTE NOW!
Studies have shown that voting for your favorite open source project,
along with a healthy diet, reduces your potential for chronic lameness
and boredom. Vote Now at http://www.sourceforge.net/community/cca08
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

disconnected individual, part 3

Laura Mellen
In reply to this post by Peter Landgren
Thanks to the list I now know I can add a disconnected individual that is a sibling when the parents are unknown. However, I don't know how! I had to create a way to do this. Can someone please tell me if it's ok they way I did this?? Seems to be.

I typed in the sibling name and made it active in the RELATIONSHIP view. Next to PARENTS, I can click "add" and a message states that I can "add person as a child to existing family". However, it does not let me actually DO this. GRAMPS v3.0 wants me to then select a family from a pre-determined list of names instead of "Blank" and "blank" (parents unknown) which is the family on my screen.

So I created a "name" for the unknown dad and made that name "question mark, (?)" Once I created the dad's name, which is just really a question mark, THEN it let me add the disconnected individual as a sibling to the active person.

It seems to work ok this way and unless someone sees an error in doing this this way, I'll continue adding other disconnected siblings to their question mark fathers after I create them. I hope this makes sense!

Sincerely,
laura


Need to know now? Get instant answers with Windows Live Messenger. IM on your terms.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sponsored by: SourceForge.net Community Choice Awards: VOTE NOW!
Studies have shown that voting for your favorite open source project,
along with a healthy diet, reduces your potential for chronic lameness
and boredom. Vote Now at http://www.sourceforge.net/community/cca08
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: disconnected individual, part 3

Jim Winfrey
On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 4:35 PM, Laura Mellen <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> So I created a "name" for the unknown dad and made that name "question mark,
> (?)" Once I created the dad's name, which is just really a question mark,
> THEN it let me add the disconnected individual as a sibling to the active
> person.
>
Laura,

Long ago when I had about 400 women with unknown surnames, I started
using the husband's surname bound by parens, so for me it would look
like (Winfrey).  For unknown given names I use (?).  It works for me
and makes it a little easier to find folks.  So, to start a family
with unknown parents, I would create, in my case, a man named (?)
Winfrey and a spouse named (?) (Winfrey).

Jim

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by the Moblin Your Move Developer's challenge
Build the coolest Linux based applications with Moblin SDK & win great prizes
Grand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event anywhere in the world
http://moblin-contest.org/redirect.php?banner_id=100&url=/
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: disconnected individual, part 3

Martin Ewing
Gramps gives you the ability to select whether "Mary Smith" is a birth
name / married name / "AKA" or "unknown".  Wouldn't that be the
"right" way to handle a married woman whose maiden name was unknown?

There must be many ways to do this.  I guess the question is what
would be most "standard", i.e. transportable to other gen. systems?

Martin

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 3:41 PM, Jim Winfrey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 4:35 PM, Laura Mellen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>
>> So I created a "name" for the unknown dad and made that name "question mark,
>> (?)" Once I created the dad's name, which is just really a question mark,
>> THEN it let me add the disconnected individual as a sibling to the active
>> person.
>>
> Laura,
>
> Long ago when I had about 400 women with unknown surnames, I started
> using the husband's surname bound by parens, so for me it would look
> like (Winfrey).  For unknown given names I use (?).  It works for me
> and makes it a little easier to find folks.  So, to start a family
> with unknown parents, I would create, in my case, a man named (?)
> Winfrey and a spouse named (?) (Winfrey).
>
> Jim
>
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------
> This SF.Net email is sponsored by the Moblin Your Move Developer's challenge
> Build the coolest Linux based applications with Moblin SDK & win great prizes
> Grand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event anywhere in the world
> http://moblin-contest.org/redirect.php?banner_id=100&url=/
> _______________________________________________
> Gramps-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
>

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by the Moblin Your Move Developer's challenge
Build the coolest Linux based applications with Moblin SDK & win great prizes
Grand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event anywhere in the world
http://moblin-contest.org/redirect.php?banner_id=100&url=/
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users