find "unconnected" families or persons

Oliver Lehmann
Hi,

I want to split my tree up into two trees. I marked all persons I want
to move into a new tree. I plan to do a backup with only the persons
with the mark and then and create a second tree out of this backup.
In the main tree I would just delete all persons with the mark and
would then clean up unreferenced objects multiple times.

I made some dry runs and noticed that I missed to mark 4 people and
fixed that. I noticed this by looking through it. So there is no
guarantee I didn't missed more people.

Is there a possibility in GRAMPS to find "unconnected" people or
families or small islands of connected people without any
connection to the "main tree"?

Best regards,
Oliver

Re: find "unconnected" families or persons

Lionel Haslam

You might try Utilities, "Not Related" to identify disconnected people remaining in the tree. I have used that a number of times and it has worked well. Just, then, tag those people and remove them in the People screen.

Lionel

Re: find "unconnected" families or persons

paul womack
Oliver Lehmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to split my tree up into two trees.

I would recommend not doing this.

   BugBear

Re: find "unconnected" families or persons

Peter Merchant
On 30/10/2018 08:48, paul womack wrote:
Oliver Lehmann wrote:
Hi,

I want to split my tree up into two trees.

I would recommend not doing this.

  BugBear

In 2017 we had a discussion about this. One recommendation was as follows:

Sorry, because in Thunderbird I discovered that I had every message twice- something to do with re-instating T-Bird after a system rebuild I expect - and I started deleting the duplicates and it all went wonky, I seem to have lost the email about tagging people in different colours for each branch of the family. It was about February 2017. perhaps someone else can reconstitute it.

And if you are determined to do it:

It's a two part filter.

The first filter you select the ancestors of the person you want it for.

In Person filters, create a filter
      Ancestral Filers >> Ancestors of <person>

There is another similar ancestors of... option that allows you to limit how many generations back you may wish to go.

The second filter finds all the descendants based upon the first filter
      Descendant filters >> Descendants family members of <filter1 name> match

This will give you the family members and their spouses. It will not include the parents, or any step children/previous marriages from the spouses. If these are wanted, there is a way to get these too. Let me know.

Then you export.

Select the export format Gramps (xml) family tree. Do not select the option with the media.

Select the export options
      Privacy Filter >> check the box to exclude things marked private (or not)
      Person Filter >> Select the filter name (filter2 above)
      Reference Filter >> Do not include records not linked to a selected person

Once you have the exported tree, create a new empty database and import the just exported file. Make sure the preferences point to the directory where you keep your media files. The media should show up for this pruned tree. If everything is looking good, you can now do a backup but this time choose the option to include the media files. You'll get the pruned database and just the media files that it will need.

I hope this helps,

On Sat, Feb 25, 2017 at 12:05 PM, Phylis Sophical <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote
> I'd temporarily "snip" that person out of the whole tree, export everyone
> related to "him" (excluding private records), then load into another tree
> for a more careful exclusion of records.

Ron, what do you mean by 'snip'? How do I Export *just *those related to
him?

Re: find "unconnected" families or persons

Oliver Lehmann

I have a "2nd husband" of an ancestor which is not DNA related to me
but obviousle raised the child which is my ancestor. I just research
this husband out of interest and have also contact to other descendants
of him which might be interested in my research in the future (or not...).

Because my tree mostly focusses on "DNA depending" ancestors, I feel
a polution here with all those ancestors of him that I want to split
the tree as well as all media which goes with that subtree.

Best regards,
Oliver

paul womack <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Oliver Lehmann wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I want to split my tree up into two trees.
>
> I would recommend not doing this.
>
>   BugBear

Re: find "unconnected" families or persons

David Blakey
So Paul (or anyone)

I have the exact opposite problem.  I have a whole whack of folks who have become disconnected from my main tree.  Can you offer any suggestions or steps to identify how I might reconnect them?

Thanks, Dave

On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 4:40 PM Paul Culley <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Lionel,

this one was a good hint! Thank you I discovered 3 people which where
disconnected already all the time :)

Best regards,
Oliver

Lionel Haslam <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You might try Utilities, "Not Related" to identify disconnected
> people remaining in the tree. I have used that a number of times and
> it has worked well. Just, then, tag those people and remove them in
> the People screen.
>
> Lionel

GRAMPS - User mailing list
I have a number of branches that being worked that (optimistically) will eventually splice into my tree... but still have a missing twig.

To keep these wilting branches from popping up with the "Not Related" utility, I keep a fake family where the mosr promising link from each of these branches has been 'adopted' or 'fostered' as a sibling. One of the parents is a Bookmarked fictitious person named 'NotRelated Placeholder'

When it is necessary to mask them from the "Not Related" utility, I set myself as a parent of that Placeholder.

When I want to see if a merge has connected one of these working branches, I delete myself from that marriage and make Placeholder the Active Person with me as the Home Person. Then the Deep Connections will identify if any of the adoptees has been connected and how. Then they can be dropped from the 'working/ToDo' family.

This makes the Unrelated list much more workable.

On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 14:04, Oliver Lehmann