Quantcast

gedcom to Gedmatch problem

Connie
Latest gramps version, Windows Vista 32bit ;(  I have tried everything I can think of to successfully upload a gedcom (~1 mb file) to Gedmatch. I contacted support and the only suggestion was to make it smaller, omit notes, etc, which I'd already tried to do. I've gotten two different errors:
(607) ERROR: Unable to properly interpret your GEDCOM file. The problem may be caused by some incompatibility between our software and the genealogy program you are using. Make sure you have character encoding set to UTF-8 in your genealogy program before you export the GEDCOM. Contact site administrator if you need help.

and when I tried to add filters it seemed to be processing, Line 70000 - Individual 0 so far... (1023) ERROR: Unable to properly interpret your GEDCOM file. The problem may be caused by some incompatibility between our software and the genealogy program you are using. Make sure you have character encoding set to UTF-8 in your genealogy program before you export the GEDCOM. Contact site administrator if you need help.

Has anyone successfully uploaded a gedcom? Am I doing something wrong? I was hoping to also upload to Wikitree at some point too.

Kind Regards,
Connie

Re: gedcom to Gedmatch problem

Ron Johnson

I successfully uploaded to gedmatch.

On approximately line 13, the file should specify the encoding.  (You might need to open it using notepad++ instead of notepad.)

Here's what mine looks like:
0 HEAD
1 SOUR Gramps
2 VERS 4.2.5
2 NAME Gramps
1 DATE 5 APR 2017
2 TIME 23:28:38
1 SUBM @SUBM@
1 FILE /home/ron/Gilbert-Bakewell_v21.ged
1 COPR Copyright (c) 2017 .
1 GEDC
2 VERS 5.5.1
2 FORM LINEAGE-LINKED
1 CHAR UTF-8
1 LANG English

On 04/29/2017 08:22 AM, AquarianEssence wrote:
[...]

We (Gramps developers) try really hard to make sure our Gedcom exports are compatible with the standard.  Our Gedcom exports do use the UTF-8 character encoding standard.

If you would like I could examine your Gedcom file that you are trying to upload and see if can be imported into several different programs that I have available.  Email directly to me, NOT the list if you want to do this, I promise I will protect any private data 🙄.

It would also be helpful if you tell us exactly which Gramps version you use; we get a lot of reports and some folks seem to be able to find some of our alpha or beta software (which is in fact the latest...).

Paul Culley

On Sat, Apr 29, 2017 at 8:22 AM, AquarianEssence <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hello Connie,

Latest gramps version, Windows Vista 32bit ;(  I have tried everything I can think of to successfully upload a gedcom (~1 mb file) to Gedmatch. I contacted support and the only suggestion was to make it smaller, omit notes, etc, which I'd already tried to do. I've gotten two different errors:
(607) ERROR: Unable to properly interpret your GEDCOM file. The problem may be caused by some incompatibility between our software and the genealogy program you are using. Make sure you have character encoding set to UTF-8 in your genealogy program before you export the GEDCOM. Contact site administrator if you need help.
Like Paul, I can upload a Gramps GEDCOM myself. I tried a full tree, and after processing more than 800,000 lines, it told me that I had too many persons in it, so I exported a smaller tree consisting of me and my ancestors, and that went OK.

and when I tried to add filters it seemed to be processing, Line 70000 - Individual 0 so far... (1023) ERROR: Unable to properly interpret your GEDCOM file. The problem may be caused by some incompatibility between our software and the genealogy program you are using. Make sure you have character encoding set to UTF-8 in your genealogy program before you export the GEDCOM. Contact site administrator if you need help.
This one is odd. When my import reached line 70000, I saw a real individual number, not 0, so there is something wrong that only GedMatch may know. Did you try contacting them?

My instinct says that maybe you have an odd character in a name or a note, something that is not properly translated to UTF-8 for some reason. Do you have persons with accents or umlauts in their names? Did you import data from another program that you may have used before Gramps?

The site may have some log files that contain some more specific information, so I hope that you can get in touch with them and ask, or send a ZIPped GEDCOM to a contact mail so they can do more tests. I am personally not aware of Gramps sending illegal codes, but who knows?

regards,