gedcom.xml??

prculley
I was looking at the libgedcom code coverage and noted that we have a couple of classes that appear to not be getting (fully) executed.  It looks like they are involved in reading a file called gedcom.xml, which was once in the data directory, but seems to have been removed around 2010-11-14 by Jérôme Rapinat.

Does anyone know why we should keep code like this around?

Paul Culley

Re: gedcom.xml??

DS Blank
On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 12:53 PM, Paul Culley <[hidden email]> wrote:
I was looking at the libgedcom code coverage and noted that we have a couple of classes that appear to not be getting (fully) executed.  It looks like they are involved in reading a file called gedcom.xml, which was once in the data directory, but seems to have been removed around 2010-11-14 by Jérôme Rapinat.

Does anyone know why we should keep code like this around?

No. If it isn't used, and isn't part of an API, it should go. There will always be copies in the repository, in case someone wants to revive it later.

-Doug

Paul Culley

Re: gedcom.xml??

Ah yes, I remember!

https://github.com/gramps-project/gramps/commit/68cbdafaddae4c5ee69cf85009fd896e2e083705

On a previous import, some custom tags or handling were supported.
"gedcom.xml" was the file where definition (specifications?) were stored.

As gedcom import had been reviewed[1] and did not use
this file anymore, it has been removed from source.

Also, some programs used one way on one version and a
different way on the next version. So, to maintain this was also
a problem.

[1] https://github.com/gramps-project/gramps/commits/68cbdafaddae4c5ee69cf85009fd896e2e083705/src/plugins/import/ImportGedcom.py

En date de : Mer 24.8.16, Doug Blank <[hidden email]> a écrit :

 Objet: Re: [Gramps-devel] gedcom.xml??
 À: "Paul Culley" <[hidden email]>
 Cc: "Gramps Developers" <[hidden email]>
 Date: Mercredi 24 août 2016, 20h09