gender dependent translation of "spouse"?

gender dependent translation of "spouse"?

Janusz S. Bień

Hi!

I consider preparing, primarily for my personal use, an
improved/alternative version of Polish po file.

For the time being I'm interested only in phrases occuring in detailed
descendant and ascestral text reports. I have no specific deadline but
it would be nice to have it before the end of June.

I see that in Russian we have

Супруг(а):

which seems acceptable. However for Polish it would be

Małżonek/małżonka

which is cumbersome. I never seen any abbreviation of this into, say,
Małżonek(nka).

I found the section "11.2.5 Using contexts for solving ambiguities" in
the gettext manual but it's not clear for me whether this approach is
applicable in this case.

I used to do some some translation of po files but never was fluent in
it. I tried almost all tools available but recently used poedit. I
intend to work on my own fork of the repository.

I'm looking forward to your suggestions.

Best regards

Janusz

--
             ,
Janusz S. Bien

Re: gender dependent translation of "spouse"?

Nick Hall
On 05/03/2019 11:54, Janusz S. Bień wrote:
> I'm looking forward to your suggestions.

The obvious solution would be for us to provide context strings for
translators:  "male|spouse" and "female|spouse".

I'm not sure how much work this would involve though.

On Tue, Mar 05 2019 at 15:35 +00, Nick Hall wrote:
> On 05/03/2019 11:54, Janusz S. Bień wrote:
>> I'm looking forward to your suggestions.
>
> The obvious solution would be for us to provide context strings for
> translators:  "male|spouse" and "female|spouse".
>
> I'm not sure how much work this would involve though.

I think it would be a good long time investment.

Personally I'm interested, at least at the moment, only in

#: ../gramps/gui/merge/mergeperson.py:249
#: ../gramps/gui/selectors/selectperson.py:100
#: ../gramps/gui/widgets/reorderfam.py:90
#: ../gramps/plugins/gramplet/children.py:98
#: ../gramps/plugins/lib/libpersonview.py:105
#: ../gramps/plugins/textreport/familygroup.py:570
#: ../gramps/plugins/view/relview.py:1385
msgid "Spouse"
msgstr "Małżonek"

My knowledge of python is close to zero, but if you provide me with an
example, I can perhaps adjust other occurences of the message.

Best regards

Janusz

--
             ,

On 05/03/2019 16:01, Janusz S. Bień wrote:
> My knowledge of python is close to zero, but if you provide me with an
> example, I can perhaps adjust other occurences of the message.

It's not that easy.  Each file may require a different approach.

Re: gender dependent translation of "spouse"?

With the exception of mergeperson and relview, all of the "Spouse" terms are very generic, they are used for column titles and could refer to either the male or female gender depending on the row value.  The mergeperson and relview could be adapted to show different translation context strings by examining the gender of the spouse and adapting the string accordingly.

I think that you will have to come up with a generic term for "Spouse"or maybe the synonym "partner", if in your language the 'małżonek' doesn't apply to both genders.

But none of these are the reports you mentioned...

Paul C.

On Tue, Mar 05 2019 at 11:38 -06, Paul Culley wrote:
> With the exception of mergeperson and relview, all of the "Spouse"
> terms are very generic, they are used for column titles and could
> refer to either the male or female gender depending on the row value.
> The mergeperson and relview could be adapted to show different
> translation context strings by examining the gender of the spouse and
> adapting the string accordingly.

I understand that in general the problem is difficult.

> I think that you will have to come up with a generic term for
> "Spouse"or maybe the synonym "partner", if in your language the
> 'małżonek' doesn't apply to both genders.

In principle it does not, but in some context, like a table header, it
seems it is acceptable.

> But none of these are the reports you mentioned...

And I am interested primarily in detdescendantreport.py.

Best regards

Janusz

--
             ,