genealogical-symbol-enabled fonts

brian fitzgerald
I have installed 5.1 in Mint and get a message to install the python3
module 'fontconfig' when I check the box "Use genealogical  symbols"
option in Edit-Preferences.

Prerequisites checker has an asterisk next to Gostscript 9.26 and says
"python-fontconfig not found"

Synaptic says I do have python-fontconfig installed (plus a load of
other fontconfig related libraries).  Note: it does not say
python3-fontconfig!

Anyone got any ideas how to install or obtain the version that Gramps
5.1 looks for (requires 0.5.x)

How do you do that in Mint19.1 using synaptic? Doesn't seem to be an
available option. Is the version of Ghostscript correct?

Thanks in advance

Re: genealogical-symbol-enabled fonts

Tom Hughes
On 26/08/2019 20:24, brian wrote:

> I have installed 5.1 in Mint and get a message to install the python3
> module 'fontconfig' when I check the box "Use genealogical  symbols"
> option in Edit-Preferences.

I've got genealogical symbols in Fedora even though I haven't
enabled them! I wish I knew how to turn them off...

Tom

--
Tom Hughes ([hidden email])
http://compton.nu/

Re: genealogical-symbol-enabled fonts

Dave Scheipers
I just filed a bug report

Short term, you can edit the  \gramps\gen\utils\symbol.py

In the file, there is a list of the of the symbols by Name, Unicode,
and then Substitution.

The Unicode are the symbols with the "Use Symbols" checked.

The Substitution text is what displays when "Use Symbols" is
unchecked. Edit this column with the word label (Birth, Baptism, etc)
that you want. Full words or abbreviations.

DO NOT ADD or DELETE anything, just change the Substitution column.

On 8/26/19 2:24 PM, brian wrote:
I have installed 5.1 in Mint and get a message to install the python3 module 'fontconfig' when I check the box "Use genealogical  symbols" option in Edit-Preferences.

Prerequisites checker has an asterisk next to Gostscript 9.26 and says "python-fontconfig not found"

Synaptic says I do have python-fontconfig installed (plus a load of other fontconfig related libraries).  Note: it does not say python3-fontconfig!

Anyone got any ideas how to install or obtain the version that Gramps 5.1 looks for (requires 0.5.x)

How do you do that in Mint19.1 using synaptic? Doesn't seem to be an available option. Is the version of Ghostscript correct?

This is where the command line shows it's worth.

$ apt-cache search python fontconfig
python-fontconfig - python bindings for the Fontconfig library
python-fontconfig-dbg - python bindings for the Fontconfig library (debug build)
python3-fontconfig - python bindings for the Fontconfig library for Python3
python3-fontconfig-dbg - python bindings for the Fontconfig library for Python3 (debug build)

From these search results, I'm going to install python3-fontconfig.

Re: genealogical-symbol-enabled fonts

Michel Vuijlsteke-2
Quick somewhat related question: did anyone get this working with GrampsAIO64 5.1.0?

Michel

On Mon, 26 Aug 2019 at 21:25, brian <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have installed 5.1 in Mint and get a message to install the python3
module 'fontconfig' when I check the box "Use genealogical  symbols"
option in Edit-Preferences.

Re: genealogical-symbol-enabled fonts

Dave Scheipers
Hi Michael

If you have 5.1 installed, it is already working.  Look at the
Relationship view. The text symbols have replaced the labels for
birth, death, marriage and divorce.

In Preferences, you can enable Graphical symbols. You first have to
"Try to Find" the symbols in the existing font files on your computer.
If the search finds any fonts that have the symbols (most do not) then
you select which font to use and select which symbol you want for
death events. Then you can select "Use Symbols". To be clear, you are
using the symbols, the check box is for the graphical symbols.

The font you select for symbols will not affect the font of the text itself.

HTH Dave

On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 7:12 PM Michel Vuijlsteke <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Quick somewhat related question: did anyone get this working with GrampsAIO64 5.1.0?
>
> Michel
>
> On Mon, 26 Aug 2019 at 21:25, brian <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I have installed 5.1 in Mint and get a message to install the python3
>> module 'fontconfig' when I check the box "Use genealogical  symbols"
>> option in Edit-Preferences.

Re: genealogical-symbol-enabled fonts

Michel Vuijlsteke-2
Hm. I don't get any "special" symbols. I get Segoe UI found as a font, but I can't select the "use symbols" checkbox, so this is what I see:

* 1868-01-23, + 1943-06-17
oo: 1888-02-15 in Ledeberg
o|o: 1896-07-29

Personally I'd prefer
  • birth: ° (degree sign - U+00B0) or ∗ (asterisk operator - U+2217)
  • death:  † (dagger - U+2020)
  • marriage:  ⚭ (marriage symbol - U+26AD)
  • divorce: ⚮ (divorce sign - U+26AE)
I'll file an issue.

On Wed, 28 Aug 2019 at 01:34, Dave Scheipers <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Michael

If you have 5.1 installed, it is already working.  Look at the
Relationship view. The text symbols have replaced the labels for
birth, death, marriage and divorce.

In Preferences, you can enable Graphical symbols. You first have to
"Try to Find" the symbols in the existing font files on your computer.
If the search finds any fonts that have the symbols (most do not) then
you select which font to use and select which symbol you want for
death events. Then you can select "Use Symbols". To be clear, you are
using the symbols, the check box is for the graphical symbols.

The font you select for symbols will not affect the font of the text itself.

HTH Dave

On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 7:12 PM Michel Vuijlsteke <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Quick somewhat related question: did anyone get this working with GrampsAIO64 5.1.0?
>
> Michel
>
> On Mon, 26 Aug 2019 at 21:25, brian <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I have installed 5.1 in Mint and get a message to install the python3
>> module 'fontconfig' when I check the box "Use genealogical  symbols"
>> option in Edit-Preferences.

Re: genealogical-symbol-enabled fonts

Dave Scheipers
Under the "Try to Find" Segoe UI is listed, but did you actually
select it? Open the list and select it. There may be other fonts
available. Then select a Death symbol. Then the "Use Symbol should
become available.

You can edit the  \gramps\gen\utils\symbol.py file to set your own symbols.

On Wed, Aug 28, 2019 at 5:59 AM Michel Vuijlsteke <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hm. I don't get any "special" symbols. I get Segoe UI found as a font, but I can't select the "use symbols" checkbox, so this is what I see:
>
> * 1868-01-23, + 1943-06-17
> oo: 1888-02-15 in Ledeberg
> o|o: 1896-07-29
>
> Personally I'd prefer
>
> birth: ° (degree sign - U+00B0) or ∗ (asterisk operator - U+2217)
> death:  † (dagger - U+2020)
> marriage:  ⚭ (marriage symbol - U+26AD)
> divorce: ⚮ (divorce sign - U+26AE)
>
> I'll file an issue.
>

> On Wed, 28 Aug 2019 at 01:34, Dave Scheipers <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Michael
>>
>> If you have 5.1 installed, it is already working.  Look at the
>> Relationship view. The text symbols have replaced the labels for
>> birth, death, marriage and divorce.
>>
>> In Preferences, you can enable Graphical symbols. You first have to
>> "Try to Find" the symbols in the existing font files on your computer.
>> If the search finds any fonts that have the symbols (most do not) then
>> you select which font to use and select which symbol you want for
>> death events. Then you can select "Use Symbols". To be clear, you are
>> using the symbols, the check box is for the graphical symbols.
>>
>> The font you select for symbols will not affect the font of the text itself.
>>
>> HTH Dave
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 7:12 PM Michel Vuijlsteke <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Quick somewhat related question: did anyone get this working with GrampsAIO64 5.1.0?
>> >
>> > Michel

Re: genealogical-symbol-enabled fonts

Michel Vuijlsteke-2
I did select Segoe and a death symbol, but I can't check the checkbox.

M.

On Wed, 28 Aug 2019 at 13:48, Dave Scheipers <[hidden email]> wrote:
Under the "Try to Find" Segoe UI is listed, but did you actually
select it? Open the list and select it. There may be other fonts
available. Then select a Death symbol. Then the "Use Symbol should
become available.

You can edit the  \gramps\gen\utils\symbol.py file to set your own symbols.

On Wed, Aug 28, 2019 at 5:59 AM Michel Vuijlsteke <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hm. I don't get any "special" symbols. I get Segoe UI found as a font, but I can't select the "use symbols" checkbox, so this is what I see:
>
> * 1868-01-23, + 1943-06-17
> oo: 1888-02-15 in Ledeberg
> o|o: 1896-07-29
>
> Personally I'd prefer
>
> birth: ° (degree sign - U+00B0) or ∗ (asterisk operator - U+2217)
> death:  † (dagger - U+2020)
> marriage:  ⚭ (marriage symbol - U+26AD)
> divorce: ⚮ (divorce sign - U+26AE)
>
> I'll file an issue.
>

> On Wed, 28 Aug 2019 at 01:34, Dave Scheipers <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Michael
>>
>> If you have 5.1 installed, it is already working.  Look at the
>> Relationship view. The text symbols have replaced the labels for
>> birth, death, marriage and divorce.
>>
>> In Preferences, you can enable Graphical symbols. You first have to
>> "Try to Find" the symbols in the existing font files on your computer.
>> If the search finds any fonts that have the symbols (most do not) then
>> you select which font to use and select which symbol you want for
>> death events. Then you can select "Use Symbols". To be clear, you are
>> using the symbols, the check box is for the graphical symbols.
>>
>> The font you select for symbols will not affect the font of the text itself.
>>
>> HTH Dave
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 7:12 PM Michel Vuijlsteke <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Quick somewhat related question: did anyone get this working with GrampsAIO64 5.1.0?
>> >
>> > Michel

Re: genealogical-symbol-enabled fonts

Dave Scheipers
Then that's a bug!