gpkg.media file

Richard Troxel
I recently changed computers. I carefully backed up all my "Gramps" media files and restored them with the same directory path which existed in my Gramps family database. I installed Gramps 5.0.1 and set the "Base path of relative media paths:" to point to correct location. I then imported my backed up database.  To my surprise, a new file was created which named [my name].gpkg.media. This file contains all the media files and Gramps now sees those files and not the directory which I created. This would be fine but my work is not finished yet and I have more files to add. What am I supposed to do?

Re: gpkg.media file

Dave Scheipers
Hi Richard

You do not say which operating system.

On Windows, the gpkg media import extracts the media files to
c:\user\yourusername\

You can move and rename this folder to your desired location and name.
Then make sure the media path in Gramps Preferences points to this
folder.

If you now have two duplicate sets of media records, you can simply delete the
c:\user\yourusername\ copy.

HTH Dave

On Sun, Apr 14, 2019 at 8:18 PM Richard Troxel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I recently changed computers. I carefully backed up all my "Gramps" media files and restored them with the same directory path which existed in my Gramps family database. I installed Gramps 5.0.1 and set the "Base path of relative media paths:" to point to correct location. I then imported my backed up database.  To my surprise, a new file was created which named [my name].gpkg.media. This file contains all the media files and Gramps now sees those files and not the directory which I created. This would be fine but my work is not finished yet and I have more files to add. What am I supposed to do?

Using the Family View

GRAMPS - User mailing list
Does anyone has any thoughts on leveraging the Family View?

I use this View very little and wonder if that is because I lack understanding of how to utilize it correctly. It seems like the context of People, Relationships, Families, & Charts Views should be intimately linked and move together. But the Family View context is only loosely coupled with the others.

I very much like extended the filtering ability in the Filter gramplet for the Family View... finding any family with a "John" father, "Mary" mother and "Thomas" child is very intuitive. But I've found little use for the Family View otherwise. (I access the Edit Family and the Family related Quick Views after opening the Family from the Relationships.)

Comfort in using Gramps seems to be all about understanding the Context of the information. Understanding the View context of the active object and which context is best for modifying and viewing all the attributes of that object.

My discomfort with the Family View could be because Selected/Active Family context isn't synchronized with the Selected/Active Person in the way the Relationship & Chart Views are.  And that, unlike the Relationship view, changing the Active Person context is indirect. (You change Selected/Active Person with a pop-up menu rather than a direct click.)  I expected the Father & Mother to be clickable hyperlinks for changing the Active person... like in the Relationship Views.  And that the Family View selection would sync with the center Family in the Relationship View

The context of the Geography View is an odd duck. The object is a variable context: dependent on the plot, it could be the active person, active family, active Place or active Event, Unfortunately, unlike the other Views, the Status Bar is reactive rather than predictive. That is, you may not know WHICH of these active objects will be Plotted in the Geography View until AFTER you select the plot. (The other place the Status Bar has different behavior is a Preference... where you can choose to append the Relationship to the Home Person for the People View)

Disconnected Contexts.
----------------------------------
The Selected/Active context of the Events and Places View is required... but it seems independent of anything else than a couple options in the Geography View.

Some of the other Views may actually be completely without contextual selection,  The Sources, Citations, Repositories, Media & Notes Views do not have an initial active selection.

Yet the selection dialogs that appear when "share an Existing" record for any of these disconnected context types to another object ignore the Selection/Active record.  It seems like that an active record for these Views could be used as the starting/center Record for the selection dialog... it would make repeatedly linking a Place, Citation, Media object or Note much, MUCH more efficient.

(Example: After creating a Census record, adding that record to the rest of the Family members would be accelerated by remembering that Census type Event as I click on the Edit Person buttons then the Share an Existing Event button for each person in the Relationship View. Likewise adding the same Obituary citation for all the persons in the Relationship View.)

-Brian

Re: Using the Family View

Dave Scheipers
I too use the Family view very little.

I do most of my editing/adding in the Relationship view which gives
easy access to the Family record. When I use it it is often to
preselect the family before printing the Family Group Report which is
rarely.

One enhancement that would be helpful and "link" the Family view with
the other people views....

If I were to edit/add a family from within Relationship or
People/Group to have the "Go" history update for the Family record.
That way, going to the Family view would automatically display the
last family accessed even if the family was accessed from within
another view. This would at least make the view more usable when
needed.

I know that many views and edits are built off common core coding. I
do not know if this history update could/should/need be expand to
other areas but I can see no harm... ie edit an event from within a
people view updates the Events "Go" history, etc.

It would seem that if you were working in Relationships and felt the
need to go to Events, you would probably be interested in the
last/last few events you worked on.

Just some thoughts I have had especially after PaulC created the
Restore History addin.

Dave

On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 12:50 PM Emyoulation--- via Gramps-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>
> Yet the selection dialogs that appear when "share an Existing" record for any of these disconnected context types to another object ignore the Selection/Active record.  It seems like that an active record for these Views could be used as the starting/center Record for the selection dialog... it would make repeatedly linking a Place, Citation, Media object or Note much, MUCH more efficient.
>

> (Example: After creating a Census record, adding that record to the rest of the Family members would be accelerated by remembering that Census type Event as I click on the Edit Person buttons then the Share an Existing Event button for each person in the Relationship View. Likewise adding the same Obituary citation for all the persons in the Relationship View.)

Re: gpkg.media file

Hello Richard,

I recently changed computers. I carefully backed up all my "Gramps" media files and restored them with the same directory path which existed in my Gramps family database. I installed Gramps 5.0.1 and set the "Base path of relative media paths:" to point to correct location. I then imported my backed up database.  To my surprise, a new file was created which named [my name].gpkg.media.
You mean a folder, right? Gramps always does this when you import a backup with media, and it does that to make sure that the restored media don't overwrite anything else.
This file contains all the media files and Gramps now sees those files and not the directory which I created. This would be fine but my work is not finished yet and I have more files to add. What am I supposed to do?

If you have all media in the right place already, the easiest thing to do is change the base path to where they already are, and let the media manager, or check & repair, figure out of they are really there. If so, you can delete the .media folder.

An alternative is to rename the .gpkg file to .gz, run gunzip or 7-zip to unpack that, and then find the data.gramps file that was extracted from the archive. If you import that, you will find that it has all the old media paths.

Re: Using the Family View

StoltHD
I find it a little strange to use to...

If at least an Event added to the Family would also be reflected/added to the children that was born in the time range of an Family Event, then we could have added all shared Family Event there...
But the Events you add only get added to the parents, not the Children...
And its not possible to add Events to the Children in the Family View, Only Citations and Notes...

I wish for a feature where the "Family Events" will be date and time aware, and that Events with Dates will be added also to the children as a Family Event with role Children...

Jaran

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>
> Yet the selection dialogs that appear when "share an Existing" record for any of these disconnected context types to another object ignore the Selection/Active record.  It seems like that an active record for these Views could be used as the starting/center Record for the selection dialog... it would make repeatedly linking a Place, Citation, Media object or Note much, MUCH more efficient.
>

> (Example: After creating a Census record, adding that record to the rest of the Family members would be accelerated by remembering that Census type Event as I click on the Edit Person buttons then the Share an Existing Event button for each person in the Relationship View. Likewise adding the same Obituary citation for all the persons in the Relationship View.)

Re: Using the Family View

Ron Johnson

Family Events are only for marriage-related events (banns, engagement, wedding, separation, divorce, etc).  Other events that happen to family members are Person events which are shared amongst the relevant members.

This is because even when a large family is living together, some events only happen to one or a few of the members.

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>
> Yet the selection dialogs that appear when "share an Existing" record for any of these disconnected context types to another object ignore the Selection/Active record.  It seems like that an active record for these Views could be used as the starting/center Record for the selection dialog... it would make repeatedly linking a Place, Citation, Media object or Note much, MUCH more efficient.
>

> (Example: After creating a Census record, adding that record to the rest of the Family members would be accelerated by remembering that Census type Event as I click on the Edit Person buttons then the Share an Existing Event button for each person in the Relationship View. Likewise adding the same Obituary citation for all the persons in the Relationship View.)

emma9158
One thing I’ve found quite strange with the family view is when it comes to the html-version. If you add a map to persons within your family tree, this map displays all family events for this person, i.e. not for the *person* but for the whole family including all children. Which means that if there is a family with7 children, you will get map-marks regarding all their movements and events during their life-time. However, you never get the name of *which* family member the map marker is related to, and as a result, the map doesn’t make any sense at all.

Emma-Marie

Sent: Tuesday, April 16, 2019 2:02 AM
Subject: Re: [Gramps-users] Using the Family View

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>
> Yet the selection dialogs that appear when "share an Existing" record for any of these disconnected context types to another object ignore the Selection/Active record.  It seems like that an active record for these Views could be used as the starting/center Record for the selection dialog... it would make repeatedly linking a Place, Citation, Media object or Note much, MUCH more efficient.
>

> (Example: After creating a Census record, adding that record to the rest of the Family members would be accelerated by remembering that Census type Event as I click on the Edit Person buttons then the Share an Existing Event button for each person in the Relationship View. Likewise adding the same Obituary citation for all the persons in the Relationship View.)

Peter Merchant
I would like it if someone would do a video showing usage and features of this family view. I am not quite sure how to even get started with it.

Thanks.

PS, you don't have to use your own family, I believe that the royal family is available?

Peter M.
On 16/04/2019 01:14, Emma wrote:
One thing I’ve found quite strange with the family view is when it comes to the html-version. If you add a map to persons within your family tree, this map displays all family events for this person, i.e. not for the *person* but for the whole family including all children. Which means that if there is a family with7 children, you will get map-marks regarding all their movements and events during their life-time. However, you never get the name of *which* family member the map marker is related to, and as a result, the map doesn’t make any sense at all.

Emma-Marie

Re: Using the Family View

StoltHD
Ron,
I know what it is, you don't need to comment just because you see my name !

Doesn't make it less strange in the usage...

If it had been possible to right click an Event and share it with other people it would have made some sense, but, no, to share an Event, you need to go to the person you want to add to the Event, then chose "Share", then find the Event...

It should have been a feature so that if any Event was selected, you could add any person or family you liked right from the view you was standing in i,e, either Family View or Event View..., and you should have the possibility to add multiple people and set Roles and Citations on each of them in that one View... Instead we need 7-8 extra movements to be able to do a simple share of an Event.

And yes, I know you want to have everything as it was in version 1.0, but some of us really would like Gramps to be a functional and easy to use software that make more people to use it, because we actually do see hoqw great a software it is and the potentials that lays in it, and with more users, there come more developers to help...

AND NO, I CAN'T JUST FORK IT AS YOU COMMENTED EARLIER, BECAUSE I'M NOT A DEVELOPER !
But you are really good to chase people away from using Gramps, with some of your answers!

Jaran

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>
> Yet the selection dialogs that appear when "share an Existing" record for any of these disconnected context types to another object ignore the Selection/Active record.  It seems like that an active record for these Views could be used as the starting/center Record for the selection dialog... it would make repeatedly linking a Place, Citation, Media object or Note much, MUCH more efficient.
>

> (Example: After creating a Census record, adding that record to the rest of the Family members would be accelerated by remembering that Census type Event as I click on the Edit Person buttons then the Share an Existing Event button for each person in the Relationship View. Likewise adding the same Obituary citation for all the persons in the Relationship View.)

John Paton
I have been on this list for several years and have always found
comments/posts by Ron Johnson to be helpful, knowledgeable and
informative. I do not know what has engendered such hostility against
Ron from StoltHD but it is in my view completely uncalled for.

John Paton