gramps 4.2.0beta1 windows launchers

Josip
Hi all,
i just uploaded gramps42_launchers_win64.zip to
https://sourceforge.net/projects/gramps/files/Unstable/

It contains launchers for 4.2-beta Windows bundle as they are ones in
4.1 AIO: gramps.exe, grampsw.exe and grampsd.exe

Unzip them to GrampsAIO42\bin folder for use.

They now have mutex support so it is only possible to have one instance
of Gramps running. If you by incident try to run it more then once,
warnings will be printed in console if gramps.exe or grampsd.exe is
used, if you use grampsw.exe then warning dialog will pop-up. In either
case second Gramps instance will not start.

--
Josip

Re: gramps 4.2.0beta1 windows launchers

Helge.Herz-2
Am 28.06.2015 20:32, schrieb Josip:

> Hi all,
> i just uploaded gramps42_launchers_win64.zip to
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/gramps/files/Unstable/
>
> It contains launchers for 4.2-beta Windows bundle as they are ones in
> 4.1 AIO: gramps.exe, grampsw.exe and grampsd.exe
>
> Unzip them to GrampsAIO42\bin folder for use.
>
> They now have mutex support so it is only possible to have one instance
> of Gramps running. If you by incident try to run it more then once,
> warnings will be printed in console if gramps.exe or grampsd.exe is
> used, if you use grampsw.exe then warning dialog will pop-up. In either
> case second Gramps instance will not start.

Great solution, Josip. This was in the past more then one time my way to
destroy a database. Now, in this case it's safe for my doing.
-Helge

Re: gramps 4.2.0beta1 windows launchers

DS Blank
On Sun, Jun 28, 2015 at 4:44 PM, Helge.Herz <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am 28.06.2015 20:32, schrieb Josip:
> Hi all,
> i just uploaded gramps42_launchers_win64.zip to
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/gramps/files/Unstable/
>
> It contains launchers for 4.2-beta Windows bundle as they are ones in
> 4.1 AIO: gramps.exe, grampsw.exe and grampsd.exe
>
> Unzip them to GrampsAIO42\bin folder for use.
>
> They now have mutex support so it is only possible to have one instance
> of Gramps running. If you by incident try to run it more then once,
> warnings will be printed in console if gramps.exe or grampsd.exe is
> used, if you use grampsw.exe then warning dialog will pop-up. In either
> case second Gramps instance will not start.

Great solution, Josip. This was in the past more then one time my way to
destroy a database. Now, in this case it's safe for my doing.

Can this be turned on/off at the command line? This may prevents some users from being able to have two databases open at the same time, which is completely valid and supported.

Also note that with Gramps 5.0, depending on the database backend, users may be able to have multiple instances of gramps on the same database.

Perhaps we should add this code to the core gramps, add a on/off flag, and make it work the same on all OS's. (Although I have had some trouble with gtk and mutex support working well on all operating systems.)

-Doug

-Helge

28. 06. 2015. u 22:56, Doug Blank je napisao/la:
> Can this be turned on/off at the command line? This may prevents some
> users from being able to have two databases open at the same time, which
> is completely valid and supported.

No it can not as is now.
If user needs two databases opened at the same time then they must start
Gramps as usual ("python gramps")

> Also note that with Gramps 5.0, depending on the database backend, users
> may be able to have multiple instances of gramps on the same database.

This is for 4.2 version.
It uses named mutex so it is easy to change or disable for another
Gramps version.

> Perhaps we should add this code to the core gramps, add a on/off flag,
> and make it work the same on all OS's. (Although I have had some trouble
> with gtk and mutex support working well on all operating systems.)

It is a launcher for Windows OS.
They set some environment variables (sometimes bundle dependent)
configure python and initialize them, contains icons of various size,
program manifest etc. Why it must be the same for all?

I see no point in setting mutex inside Gramps. Then we need to start
python and load bunch of Gramps code just to find out that Gramps is
already running.
You like it or not but starting python is slow, cold start especially
(not much Windows user will have them already loaded in memory),
starting Gramps also. When you get this two combined it gets "dog slow".
So slow that i think of adding startup-screen to launcher (at least to
gui version, which btw not works). Problem is that for nice and fast
startup-screen very low-level code must be used but as Gramps is so slow
i may use high-level winapi (even using gtk himself makes difference)

Source is included in download if you interested.
You can find it at src\gramps.c

On Sun, Jun 28, 2015 at 6:26 PM, Josip <[hidden email]> wrote:
28. 06. 2015. u 22:56, Doug Blank je napisao/la:
> Can this be turned on/off at the command line? This may prevents some
> users from being able to have two databases open at the same time, which
> is completely valid and supported.

No it can not as is now.
If user needs two databases opened at the same time then they must start
Gramps as usual ("python gramps")

Ok, I see. As long as there is way to bypass the restrictions.

> Also note that with Gramps 5.0, depending on the database backend, users
> may be able to have multiple instances of gramps on the same database.

This is for 4.2 version.
It uses named mutex so it is easy to change or disable for another
Gramps version.

> Perhaps we should add this code to the core gramps, add a on/off flag,
> and make it work the same on all OS's. (Although I have had some trouble
> with gtk and mutex support working well on all operating systems.)

It is a launcher for Windows OS.
They set some environment variables (sometimes bundle dependent)
configure python and initialize them, contains icons of various size,
program manifest etc. Why it must be the same for all?

I see no point in setting mutex inside Gramps. Then we need to start
python and load bunch of Gramps code just to find out that Gramps is
already running.
You like it or not but starting python is slow, cold start especially
(not much Windows user will have them already loaded in memory),
starting Gramps also. When you get this two combined it gets "dog slow".
So slow that i think of adding startup-screen to launcher (at least to
gui version, which btw not works). Problem is that for nice and fast
startup-screen very low-level code must be used but as Gramps is so slow
i may use high-level winapi (even using gtk himself makes difference)

Source is included in download if you interested.
You can find it at src\gramps.c

I see... I wrongly imagined that it was Python code that was added to the gramps sources.

-Doug

--
Josip