gramps 5.0.0 narweb person page format

Alvin Larson
I am a running gramps on Debian and have started using ver 5.0.0.

On comparing vers 4.2.5 and 5.00 of gramps, I find the following.  The older version is much more neat and compact than the new one.  Apparently, the new version calculates ages for all persons connected to the event and puts them, one per line, in a single column.  This creates a lot of open space.  There is no name or relationship associated with the age so it is not very useful.  I have entered relationship, names and ages with the attributes option, all on a single line for each attribute.  Under Notes, the old version of gramps limits the column width, for that information, to a nice value.  The new version has the same information in a column that is too wide.

The new version uses all of the attributes for an event, adds calculated ages, and puts them under NotesAs a result, a 1930 census has Age: 49, added to a son when it was only intended for the head of the family who was that age.

I am not happy with the way that the new gramps generates narweb pages for individuals and am wondering if others in the news group have similar feelings.  I can supply a graphic illustrating the above comments if I have a personal email. It is too large to add to this message.

I think an option to not have gramps calculate ages and not include all the attributes for the event would be good to have.

Alvin Larson

Re: gramps 5.0.0 narweb person page format

J. Allen Crider-2
Some of what you are seeing is due to changes to make the pages more
readable on a small screen.  I haven't tried looking at the pages on a
smartphone or tablet yet, so I'm not ready to pass judgment on whether
it is better or worse.

I am convinced that there is a bug in 5.0.0 that causes a problem with
shared events in all detailed reports, including Narrative Web, detailed
ancestral report, detailed descendant report, and others, and it sounds
like what you are seeing is the effect of that bug.  Whenever there are
notes or attributes in the Reference Information for a shared event, the
report for one person sharing the event will be correct, having only the
notes and attributes for that person.  The reports for the rest of the
people sharing the event will contain notes and attributes for other
people in addition to the person that is supposed to be included, and
the report for one person will include notes and attributes for all
people sharing the event.  I haven't taken the time to determine what
the sort order is for the extra notes and attributes, although I'm
fairly certain it is not by age.

Like you, I've only noticed this error on census events when dealing
with real data, but I did do a small test case that shows it is related
to the use of Reference Information and not limited to events created
using the Forms addon, so I'm convinced the error is in one or more of
the methods used to retrieve notes and attributes for all reports that
include them.

I submitted a bug report (ID 10720) when I discovered the problem, but
at the time I thought it was only Narrated Web that was affected and I
submitted the bug against that.  After a few exchanges with the Narrated
Web maintainer I did enough testing to show that it had nothing to do
with the Forms addon and that it affected several reports, but I can't
find a way to change severity, reproducibility, etc. on my report after
doing that testing six weeks ago, and I can't tell that anybody on the
development team has even looked at my report other than the maintainer
fo Narrated Web.  Maybe if enough others report that they are affected
also, it will start to get some attention.

Allen Crider

On 10/05/2018 02:03 PM, Alvin Larson wrote:

> I am a running gramps on Debian and have started using ver 5.0.0.
>
> On comparing vers 4.2.5 and 5.00 of gramps, I find the following.  The
> older version is much more neat and compact than the new one.
> Apparently, the new version calculates ages for all persons connected to
> the event and puts them, one per line, in a single column.  This creates
> a lot of open space.  There is no name or relationship associated with
> the age so it is not very useful.  I have entered relationship, names
> and ages with the attributes option, all on a single line for each
> attribute. Under *Notes, *the old version of gramps limits the column
> width, for that information, to a nice value.  The new version has the
> same information in a column that is too wide.
>
> The new version uses all of the attributes for an event, adds calculated
> ages, and puts them under *Notes**. *As a result, a 1930 census has Age:
> 49, added to a son when it was only intended for the head of the family
> who was that age.
>
> I am not happy with the way that the new gramps generates narweb pages
> for individuals and am wondering if others in the news group have
> similar feelings.  I can supply a graphic illustrating the above
> comments if I have a personal email. It is too large to add to this message.
>
> I think an option to not have gramps calculate ages and not include all
> the attributes for the event would be good to have.
>
> Alvin Larson

Re: gramps 5.0.0 narweb person page format

Nick Hall
On 06/10/2018 13:09, J. Allen Crider wrote:

> I submitted a bug report (ID 10720) when I discovered the problem, but
> at the time I thought it was only Narrated Web that was affected and I
> submitted the bug against that.  After a few exchanges with the
> Narrated Web maintainer I did enough testing to show that it had
> nothing to do with the Forms addon and that it affected several
> reports, but I can't find a way to change severity, reproducibility,
> etc. on my report after doing that testing six weeks ago, and I can't
> tell that anybody on the development team has even looked at my report
> other than the maintainer fo Narrated Web.  Maybe if enough others
> report that they are affected also, it will start to get some attention.

I have updated the bug report and will investigate.

Re: gramps 5.0.0 narweb person page format

Alvin Larson

Allen and Nick:

Thank you.  It is good news that the problem with shared events is a bug and will be fixed.

Alvin Larson

On 10/6/18 6:09 AM, J. Allen Crider wrote:
[...]

Reports that are Lists should offer Sort Options

GRAMPS - User mailing list
Text Reports which are lists of things in the database
(Place/Records/Repositories/Sources)

should consider adding Sort Options.

George Baynes