gramps/gramps/webapp

Jeff D
Hi-

In the documentation about the source code (
https://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php/Gramps_4.x_File_Organization
), it mentions webapp code.

But, from the GIT location, I cannot find this webapp source code.

Anybody know the history, or where abouts of the webapp code?

thanks-

Jeff

Re: gramps/gramps/webapp

Brylie Christopher Oxley
Hey Jeff,
Are you interested in contributing to the webapp code?

The main goal for the webapp is to make a multi-user version of Gramps where many people can contribute to a shared lineage graph. To the extent possible, we want to also support a standardized genealogical data model.

Have you worked with Python, Django, and/or Neo4j?

Kind regards,
Brylie

On September 23, 2019 2:01:47 AM GMT+03:00, Sam Manzi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Jeff,

The current attempt outside of the main code of Gramps but as a sub-project is called Gramps-online and can be found here  https://github.com/gramps-project/gramps-online  but for the moment looks to be inactive.

** Historical **

>> Anybody know the history, or where abouts of the webapp code?

That was an old abandoned attempts and the code was removed from mainline Gramps around the release of Gramps 5.x and the code was archived here:
and an older version based on django here

These where both part of GEPS 013

Also the same developer who created gramps-connect forked the gramps code and made Gprime (which is also inactive from what I see).

Kind regards
Sam

On Mon, 23 Sep 2019 at 05:50, Jeff <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi-

In the documentation about the source code (
https://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php/Gramps_4.x_File_Organization
), it mentions webapp code.

But, from the GIT location, I cannot find this webapp source code.

Anybody know the history, or where abouts of the webapp code?

thanks-

Jeff

Re: gramps/gramps/webapp

GRAMPS - Dev mailing list
Dear Jeff,

in case you are interested, I am currently working on another separate web app for Gramps. This is completely independent of the old Gramps-Online/Gramps-Connect (although being partly motivated by it) and started as a hobby project of mine. It does not require a modification of Gramps itself nor a separate database. You can find the code and a demo here:
I'd be happy about contributions or feedback from the community. Possibly this could become a proper Gramps addon in the future (but I am not sure if/how it fits into the addon category).

Cheers,
David

Am Montag, 23. September 2019 01:01 schrieb Sam Manzi <[hidden email]>:

Hi Jeff,

The current attempt outside of the main code of Gramps but as a sub-project is called Gramps-online and can be found here  https://github.com/gramps-project/gramps-online  but for the moment looks to be inactive.

** Historical **

>> Anybody know the history, or where abouts of the webapp code?

That was an old abandoned attempts and the code was removed from mainline Gramps around the release of Gramps 5.x and the code was archived here:
and an older version based on django here

These where both part of GEPS 013

Also the same developer who created gramps-connect forked the gramps code and made Gprime (which is also inactive from what I see).

Kind regards
Sam

On Mon, 23 Sep 2019 at 05:50, Jeff <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi-

In the documentation about the source code (
), it mentions webapp code.

But, from the GIT location, I cannot find this webapp source code.

Anybody know the history, or where abouts of the webapp code?

thanks-

Jeff

Re: gramps/gramps/webapp

Janusz S. Bień
On Mon, Sep 23 2019 at  7:12 +00, David Straub via Gramps-devel wrote:
> Dear Jeff,
>
> in case you are interested, I am currently working on another separate
> web app for Gramps. This is completely independent of the old
> Gramps-Online/Gramps-Connect (although being partly motivated by it)
> and started as a hobby project of mine. It does not require a
> modification of Gramps itself nor a separate database. You can find
> the code and a demo here:
> https://github.com/DavidMStraub/gramps-webapp

You say in the README:

     initial startup of the demo can take up to a minute since it is
     hosted on a free Heroku dyno that sleeps after 30 mins of
     inactivity.

For me nothing is diplayed at https://agile-bayou-66821.herokuapp.com/
despite the fact that I wait much lomger than 1 minute :-(

Best regards

Janusz

--
             ,
Janusz S. Bien

Re: gramps/gramps/webapp

Brylie Christopher Oxley
Very cool David! ☺

On September 23, 2019 10:12:04 AM GMT+03:00, David Straub via Gramps-devel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear Jeff,

in case you are interested, I am currently working on another separate web app for Gramps. This is completely independent of the old Gramps-Online/Gramps-Connect (although being partly motivated by it) and started as a hobby project of mine. It does not require a modification of Gramps itself nor a separate database. You can find the code and a demo here:
I'd be happy about contributions or feedback from the community. Possibly this could become a proper Gramps addon in the future (but I am not sure if/how it fits into the addon category).

Cheers,
David

Am Montag, 23. September 2019 01:01 schrieb Sam Manzi <[hidden email]>:

Hi Jeff,

The current attempt outside of the main code of Gramps but as a sub-project is called Gramps-online and can be found here  https://github.com/gramps-project/gramps-online  but for the moment looks to be inactive.

** Historical **

>> Anybody know the history, or where abouts of the webapp code?

That was an old abandoned attempts and the code was removed from mainline Gramps around the release of Gramps 5.x and the code was archived here:
and an older version based on django here

These where both part of GEPS 013

Also the same developer who created gramps-connect forked the gramps code and made Gprime (which is also inactive from what I see).

Kind regards
Sam

On Mon, 23 Sep 2019 at 05:50, Jeff <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi-

In the documentation about the source code (
), it mentions webapp code.

But, from the GIT location, I cannot find this webapp source code.

Anybody know the history, or where abouts of the webapp code?

thanks-

Jeff

Re: gramps/gramps/webapp

Oldest1

For a number of reasons, I and very interested and have installed the package from github as  per the readme under Windows 10 in it own sub directory, but when trying to run the app using the given command line, Win tells me gramps-webapp is not recognized.

eventually I did find C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Python\Python37\Scripts\gramps_webapp.exe

When I execute it without args as a test, I get

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Python\Python37\Scripts\gramps_webapp-script.py", line 11, in <module>
    load_entry_point('gramps-webapp==0.1', 'console_scripts', 'gramps_webapp')()
  File "C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python37-32\lib\site-packages\pkg_resources\__init__.py", line 489, in load_entry_point
    return get_distribution(dist).load_entry_point(group, name)
  File "C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python37-32\lib\site-packages\pkg_resources\__init__.py", line 2793, in load_entry_point
    return ep.load()
  File "C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python37-32\lib\site-packages\pkg_resources\__init__.py", line 2411, in load
    return self.resolve()
  File "C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python37-32\lib\site-packages\pkg_resources\__init__.py", line 2417, in resolve
    module = __import__(self.module_name, fromlist=['__name__'], level=0)
  File "C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Python\Python37\site-packages\gramps_webapp\api.py", line 19, in <module>
    from .db import Db
  File "C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Python\Python37\site-packages\gramps_webapp\db.py", line 6, in <module>
    from gramps.cli.clidbman import CLIDbManager
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'gramps'

I have Gramps 5.0.1, as well as Python installed on the PC, but obviously, the environment does not seem to be set up properly and I am not experienced enough with python under Windows to sort this out

Arnold

On 2019-09-23 12:12 AM, David Straub via Gramps-devel wrote:
Dear Jeff,

in case you are interested, I am currently working on another separate web app for Gramps. This is completely independent of the old Gramps-Online/Gramps-Connect (although being partly motivated by it) and started as a hobby project of mine. It does not require a modification of Gramps itself nor a separate database. You can find the code and a demo here:
I'd be happy about contributions or feedback from the community. Possibly this could become a proper Gramps addon in the future (but I am not sure if/how it fits into the addon category).

Cheers,
David

Am Montag, 23. September 2019 01:01 schrieb Sam Manzi [hidden email]:

Hi Jeff,

The current attempt outside of the main code of Gramps but as a sub-project is called Gramps-online and can be found here  https://github.com/gramps-project/gramps-online  but for the moment looks to be inactive.

** Historical **

>> Anybody know the history, or where abouts of the webapp code?

That was an old abandoned attempts and the code was removed from mainline Gramps around the release of Gramps 5.x and the code was archived here:
and an older version based on django here

These where both part of GEPS 013

Also the same developer who created gramps-connect forked the gramps code and made Gprime (which is also inactive from what I see).

Kind regards
Sam

On Mon, 23 Sep 2019 at 05:50, Jeff <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi-

In the documentation about the source code (
), it mentions webapp code.

But, from the GIT location, I cannot find this webapp source code.

Anybody know the history, or where abouts of the webapp code?

thanks-

Jeff

Re: gramps/gramps/webapp

GRAMPS - Dev mailing list
Dear Arnold,

thanks for the feedback. I haven't thought about or tested this on Windows, but I will have a look. I opened an issue, we can continue the discussion there.

Best,
David

Dear Jeff,