gramps on Centos 7

has anyone succeed installing gramps on Centos 7? The dependencies are giving me a hard time.

Regards,

Hans

Re: gramps on Centos 7

Paul Franklin-5
On 10/8/17, Hans Michael Goossen wrote:
> has anyone succeed installing gramps on Centos 7?

Well, I don't run Centos so I am the wrong person to try
to answer you, but I certainly remember other users saying
that Centos tries not to fail, and one way they approach that
goal is to only (I believe) use very old libraries and programs.

So the last I heard they don't have enough new things to run
the current (4.2.6) gramps.

But if you only want "gramps" -- as opposed to the latest and
greatest "gramps" -- this certainly exists for instance:

https://centos.pkgs.org/7/epel-testing-x86_64/gramps-3.4.8-1.el7.noarch.rpm.html

Re: gramps on Centos 7

Peter Morgan
Hi everyone.

I run the science version of Centos 7.3 for my science work. Until Feb
of this year we also ran Gramps, a 4.05 version of Gramps under CENTOS.
We desired some of the newer features of GRAMPS

There was much correspondence between myself and Enno Borgsteede,
([hidden email]) and Paul Franklin ([hidden email]). In the end
I walked away and made a MINT machine for my wife and Gramps.

I did manage to get the new Berkley data base stuff to work. This was
one of the issues as the license of Berkley changed. This is one of the
issues that you will face. I also managed to get Python 2.7 to co exist
with Python 3.4. Another large problem. Much of science still runs the
2.7 version of Python.

I may have been close but the effort was large and there was no
guarantee that things would not break with changes to CENTOS where I
have applications that need to be validated with upgrades. So I walked
away and installed MINT.

Yes Paul is correct you can install an old 3.4 version of Gramps and you
can still get  rpm files. I dont believe that this option should be
tollerated. Eventually you will have a bust somewhere. It would be
better, in my opinion, to install a virtual machine like VirtualBox and
put MINT in that box if you cannot afford the luxury of a "Gramps" machine.

cheers peter

On 13/10/17 14:08, Paul Franklin wrote:

> On 10/8/17, Hans Michael Goossen wrote:
>> has anyone succeed installing gramps on Centos 7?
> Well, I don't run Centos so I am the wrong person to try
> to answer you, but I certainly remember other users saying
> that Centos tries not to fail, and one way they approach that
> goal is to only (I believe) use very old libraries and programs.
>
> So the last I heard they don't have enough new things to run
> the current (4.2.6) gramps.
>
> But if you only want "gramps" -- as opposed to the latest and
> greatest "gramps" -- this certainly exists for instance:
>
> https://centos.pkgs.org/7/epel-testing-x86_64/gramps-3.4.8-1.el7.noarch.rpm.html

* Peter and Carol Morgan                        *
* 20 Goodparla St                               *
* Hawker, ACT, 2614, Australia                  *
* Voice: (Landline) +61 (0)2 6254 0137          *
* Mobile: (Peter) +61 (0)4 1854 0137            *
* Email:[hidden email]            *
* Regards                                       *