gramps on Ubuntu

Durand Daniel
I'm working on Kubuntu Breezy.
I want update with Gramps 2.09. I usually used the packages from treacy
http://people.debian.org/~treacy//gramps/
but I just found 2.09rc2 version.
Is a stable version ready for Kubuntu ?
Thanks and Happy new year for all the team.

--
Cordialement,
Daniel Durand

Re: gramps on Ubuntu

Don Allingham
You can use the standard Debian package found at:

http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/download.pl?arch=all&file=pool%2Fmain%2Fg%2Fgramps%2Fgramps_2.0.9-1_all.deb&md5sum=c191c47c67dc970d9caa739994c71060&arch=all&type=main

On Thu, 2005-12-29 at 08:22 +0100, Daniel Durand wrote:
> I'm working on Kubuntu Breezy.
> I want update with Gramps 2.09. I usually used the packages from treacy
> http://people.debian.org/~treacy//gramps/
> but I just found 2.09rc2 version.
> Is a stable version ready for Kubuntu ?
> Thanks and Happy new year for all the team.

--
Don Allingham <[hidden email]>

Re: gramps on Ubuntu

Durand Daniel
Don,

>You can use the standard Debian package found at:

>2Fgramps%2Fgramps_2.0.9-1_all.deb&md5sum=c191c47c67dc970d9caa739994c71060&arc
>h=all&type=main

I try install this version on Kubuntu Breezy and I get this message :
"Dépaquetage de gramps (à partir de gramps_2.0.9-1_all.deb) ...
dpkg : des problèmes de dépendances empêchent la configuration de gramps :
 gramps dépend de python (<< 2.4) ; cependant :
  La version de python sur le système est 2.4.2-0ubuntu2.
dpkg : erreur de traitement de gramps (--install) :
 problèmes de dépendances - laissé non configuré
Des erreurs ont été rencontrées pendant l'exécution :
 gramps"

It is in French but it's clear : my Python version (2.4.2)  is too recent for
Gramps ?

Cordialement,

Daniel Durand
http://durand-amd.net

Re: gramps on Ubuntu

Don Allingham
GRAMPS should work equally well with any python version greater that
2.2.

Don

On Fri, 2005-12-30 at 13:54 +0100, Daniel Durand wrote:

> Don,
>
> >You can use the standard Debian package found at:

> >2Fgramps%2Fgramps_2.0.9-1_all.deb&md5sum=c191c47c67dc970d9caa739994c71060&arc
> >h=all&type=main
>
> I try install this version on Kubuntu Breezy and I get this message :
> "Dépaquetage de gramps (à partir de gramps_2.0.9-1_all.deb) ...
> dpkg : des problèmes de dépendances empêchent la configuration de gramps :
>  gramps dépend de python (<< 2.4) ; cependant :
>   La version de python sur le système est 2.4.2-0ubuntu2.
> dpkg : erreur de traitement de gramps (--install) :
>  problèmes de dépendances - laissé non configuré
> Des erreurs ont été rencontrées pendant l'exécution :
>  gramps"
>
> It is in French but it's clear : my Python version (2.4.2)  is too recent for
> Gramps ?
>

> Cordialement,
>
> Daniel Durand
> http://durand-amd.net

Don Allingham
http://don.allingham.org

Re: gramps on Ubuntu

Durand Daniel
Le Vendredi 30 Décembre 2005 23:57, Don Allingham a écrit :
> GRAMPS should work equally well with any python version greater that
> 2.2.

OK Don, but... what I can do ? Uninstall this Ubuntu version ?

--
Cordialement,

Durand Daniel
http://durand-amd.net

Re: gramps on Ubuntu

Don Allingham
Well, unfortunately, I'm not that familiar with the package for
different distributions. I work on the source code, not on the packages.

However, in this particular case, it seems that the dependency built
into the package is for Debian, and not for Ubuntu. You may want to try
the --force-all option to dpkg

dpkg --install --force-all <package_name>

Don

On Sat, 2005-12-31 at 07:57 +0100, Durand Daniel wrote:
> Le Vendredi 30 Décembre 2005 23:57, Don Allingham a écrit :
> > GRAMPS should work equally well with any python version greater that
> > 2.2.
> >
> OK Don, but... what I can do ? Uninstall this Ubuntu version ?

--
Don Allingham <[hidden email]>

Re: gramps on Ubuntu

Joachim Breitner-2
Hi,

Am Samstag, den 31.12.2005, 00:09 -0700 schrieb Don Allingham:
> dpkg --install --force-all <package_name>

Please don't do that, as this undermines the stability of your package
system.

The most correct way is this:

Get the source files:
http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/g/gramps/gramps_2.0.9-1.dsc
http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/g/gramps/gramps_2.0.9.orig.tar.gz
http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/g/gramps/gramps_2.0.9-1.diff.gz

Get the following packages using
# apt-get install build-essential devscripts debhelper python-xml
python-gnome2 python-glade2 docbook-utils scrollkeeper gettext
libgconf2-dev

Extract the sources:
# dpkg-source -x gramps_2.0.9-1.dsc
# cd gramps-2.0.9

Build the debian packages
# debuild -uc -us

If everything goes ok, you'll have a shiny new gramps_2.0.9_all.deb in
your the directory with the .dsc file, which will install cleanly on
your system. The fastest way to do that is
# sudo debi
>From within you source directory.

Good luck!
Joachim

--
Joachim "nomeata" Breitner
Debian Developer

Re: gramps on Ubuntu

Durand Daniel
Le Samedi 31 Décembre 2005 12:04, Joachim Breitner a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> Am Samstag, den 31.12.2005, 00:09 -0700 schrieb Don Allingham:
> > dpkg --install --force-all <package_name>
>
> Please don't do that, as this undermines the stability of your package
> system.
>
> The most correct way is this:
>

> If everything goes ok, you'll have a shiny new gramps_2.0.9_all.deb in
> your the directory

Thanks Joachim for your help : its works nice ! All the Ubuntu Breezy users
can use this tip. (Beware : don't cut the long line of commands). If any body
have problem, I can send the .deb file.
Best wishes Joachim for 2006 and your work.
Best wishes also for Don, Alex, all the Gramps team for 2006. Thanks for your
fantastic work. Hope that 2006 will be a great vintage for Gramps (news
reports, include repositories, continuing to improve speed and friendly
editing).
--
Cordialement,

Durand Daniel