gramps package

Benny Malengier
Treacy,

Do you know if ubuntu package is still created based on your Debian definitions?
I ask because on kubuntu 9.10, installing gramps pulls in python2.5,
while python2.6 is fully supported.

I installed official version so as to have the svg lib I was missing
for development, but it pulled in 91 Mb extra libraries.
Well, at least my icons are now correct, and spell check working, and
I have graphviz. :-)

Perhaps interesting to know for upcoming 3.2:
* python-enchant also needed for spell check
* python 2.5 and higher in the python 2.x series, pygtk 2.12 and
higher, so no changes to Gramps 3.1
* libcdio-cdda0 should no longer be included as dependency if it is
direct. The direct write to cd is removed as a plugin. I guess gvfs
and company comes from the same thing.

Benny

PS: for backup reasons, all that is pulled in in Kubuntu 9.10 on
install of gramps via apt:
De volgende extra pakketten zullen geïnstalleerd worden:
  gamin gconf2 gnome-keyring gnome-mime-data graphviz gvfs
gvfs-backends libart-2.0-2
  libavahi-glib1 libbonobo2-0 libbonobo2-common libbonoboui2-0
libbonoboui2-common
  libcdio-cdda0 libcdio-paranoia0 libcdio7 libdb4.6 libgail-common
libgail18 libgamin0
  libgcr0 libgdu0 libgnome-keyring0 libgnome2-0 libgnome2-common
libgnomecanvas2-0
  libgnomecanvas2-common libgnomeui-0 libgnomeui-common libgnomevfs2-0
libgnomevfs2-common
  libgp11-0 libgsf-1-114 libgsf-1-common libgtkspell0 libgvfscommon0
libpam-gnome-keyring
  libpolkit-agent-1-0 libproxy0 librsvg2-2 librsvg2-common
libsoup-gnome2.4-1 libsoup2.4-1
  policykit-1-gnome python-gconf python-gnome2 python-gnomecanvas
python-gtkspell
  python-pyorbit python-renderpm python-reportlab
python-reportlab-accel python2.5
  python2.5-minimal ttf-liberation
Voorgestelde pakketten:
  gconf-defaults-service graphviz-doc libbonobo2-bin desktop-base
gnome-icon-theme
  libgnomevfs2-bin libgnomevfs2-extra librsvg2-bin python-gnome2-doc
python-pyorbit-dbg
  python-renderpm-dbg python-egenix-mxtexttools python-reportlab-doc
python2.5-doc
  python-profiler binfmt-support
De volgende NIEUWE pakketten zullen geïnstalleerd worden:
  gamin gconf2 gnome-keyring gnome-mime-data gramps graphviz gvfs
[...]

Re: gramps package

Stephen George

I thought report-lab was no longer used in Gramps (for quite some time),
... am I mistaken?
I had noticed it pulled it in as a dependency on debian when I did an
install last month, and now you also have it listed here as a dependency
under kubuntu

Is there something that needs to be done to remove it from dependencies
for the 3.2 release? - do you want me to add a bug/issue requesting that?

- steve

2010/1/13 Stephen George <[hidden email]>:

> I thought report-lab was no longer used in Gramps (for quite some time),
> ... am I mistaken?
> I had noticed it pulled it in as a dependency on debian when I did an
> install last month, and now you also have it listed here as a dependency
> under kubuntu
>
> Is there something that needs to be done to remove it from dependencies
> for the 3.2 release? - do you want me to add a bug/issue requesting that?
>
> - steve

Well,

it is easy to see for a packager when a program stops working due to
missing libs, but not easy to know what is not needed.

I think it should be as easy as changing in our repository the debian
folder as needed.
Specifically, I see that debian/control still lists python-reportlab.
I have no package experience though, I would not know how that folder
is best changed.
It might even be that that folder is no longer used ....

Benny

> [...]
>>   libart-2.0-2 libavahi-glib1 libbonobo2-0 libbonobo2-common
>> libbonoboui2-0
>>   libbonoboui2-common libcdio-cdda0 libcdio-paranoia0 libcdio7
>> libdb4.6 libgail-common
>>   libgail18 libgamin0 libgcr0 libgdu0 libgnome-keyring0 libgnome2-0
>> libgnome2-common
>>   libgnomecanvas2-0 libgnomecanvas2-common libgnomeui-0
>> libgnomeui-common libgnomevfs2-0
>>   libgnomevfs2-common libgp11-0 libgsf-1-114 libgsf-1-common
>> libgtkspell0 libgvfscommon0
>>   libpam-gnome-keyring libpolkit-agent-1-0 libproxy0 librsvg2-2
>> librsvg2-common
>>   libsoup-gnome2.4-1 libsoup2.4-1 policykit-1-gnome python-gconf
>> python-gnome2
>>   python-gnomecanvas python-gtkspell python-pyorbit python-renderpm
>> python-reportlab
>>   python-reportlab-accel python2.5 python2.5-minimal ttf-liberation

Jay Treacy
On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 12:19:18AM +0100, Benny Malengier wrote:
> Treacy,

Malengier,
being rather formal using last names, aren't we?

> Do you know if ubuntu package is still created based on your Debian definitions?
> I ask because on kubuntu 9.10, installing gramps pulls in python2.5,
> while python2.6 is fully supported.

I have no idea whether the ubuntu package is based on my work. It
should be as avoids duplicating work.

> I installed official version so as to have the svg lib I was missing
> for development, but it pulled in 91 Mb extra libraries.
> Well, at least my icons are now correct, and spell check working, and
> I have graphviz. :-)

Here is the list of dependencies for the debian package of 3.1.3.

Depends:
python (2.5 or newer)
librsvg2-common
python-glade2
python-gnome2

Recommends:
graphviz
python-enchant
python-gtkspell
python-reportlab
ttf-freefont
xdg-utils

> Perhaps interesting to know for upcoming 3.2:
> * python-enchant also needed for spell check
> * python 2.5 and higher in the python 2.x series, pygtk 2.12 and
> higher, so no changes to Gramps 3.1
> * libcdio-cdda0 should no longer be included as dependency if it is
> direct. The direct write to cd is removed as a plugin. I guess gvfs
> and company comes from the same thing.

Anything like libcdio-cdda0 that is dragged in when installing gramps
is from a dependency on one of the existing dependencies.

The README file from 3.1.3 states the xdg-utils is required so I'll move
it to being a dependency. The README has no mention of reportlab any more.
Can it be removed?

--
James Treacy

Re: gramps package

Jay Treacy
On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 10:59:36AM +1100, Stephen George wrote:
> I thought report-lab was no longer used in Gramps (for quite some time),
> ... am I mistaken?
> I had noticed it pulled it in as a dependency on debian when I did an
> install last month, and now you also have it listed here as a dependency
> under kubuntu

You can remove any of the Recommends that you wish. They are
installed by default when using a package manager to make life
easier for less experienced users.

If reportlab is of no benefit at all for recent versions of gramps,
it will be removed from the Recommends list.

--
James Treacy

Re: gramps package

Stéphane Charette-2
On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 18:48, James A. Treacy <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 10:59:36AM +1100, Stephen George wrote:
> I thought report-lab was no longer used in Gramps (for quite some time),
> ... am I mistaken?
> I had noticed it pulled it in as a dependency on debian when I did an
> install last month, and now you also have it listed here as a dependency
> under kubuntu

You can remove any of the Recommends that you wish. They are
installed by default when using a package manager to make life
easier for less experienced users.

If reportlab is of no benefit at all for recent versions of gramps,
it will be removed from the Recommends list.

Thing is, I've been using the one checked into the GRAMPS svn debian directory when I create the .deb files I then place on SourceForge.

If James and/or others go through the trouble of removing things we no longer need, or updating the version numbers, then we need to ensure those changes are also reflected in subversion.

I can also make a -2, -3...etc... release of GRAMPS with the latest release if we find there are a lot of old or outdated dependencies.  Once that is installed, running sudo apt-get autoremove should fix things up.

Stéphane

Re: gramps package

Stephen George
Hi Benny,

Am I also correct in saying that from Gramps Version 3.2 onward there
will not be a dependency on python-glade2.

I did a quick search in the source tree and think that's the case, but
don't know if we still need it for plugin support?

- Steve

James A. Treacy wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 12:19:18AM +0100, Benny Malengier wrote:
>
>> Treacy,
>>

> Malengier,
> being rather formal using last names, aren't we?
>

>> Do you know if ubuntu package is still created based on your Debian definitions?
>> I ask because on kubuntu 9.10, installing gramps pulls in python2.5,
>> while python2.6 is fully supported.
>>

> I have no idea whether the ubuntu package is based on my work. It
> should be as avoids duplicating work.
>

>> I installed official version so as to have the svg lib I was missing
>> for development, but it pulled in 91 Mb extra libraries.
>> Well, at least my icons are now correct, and spell check working, and
>> I have graphviz. :-)
>>

> Here is the list of dependencies for the debian package of 3.1.3.
>
> Depends:
> python (2.5 or newer)
> librsvg2-common
> python-glade2
> python-gnome2
>
> Recommends:
> graphviz
> python-enchant
> python-gtkspell
> python-reportlab
> ttf-freefont
> xdg-utils
>

>> Perhaps interesting to know for upcoming 3.2:
>> * python-enchant also needed for spell check
>> * python 2.5 and higher in the python 2.x series, pygtk 2.12 and
>> higher, so no changes to Gramps 3.1
>> * libcdio-cdda0 should no longer be included as dependency if it is
>> direct. The direct write to cd is removed as a plugin. I guess gvfs
>> and company comes from the same thing.
>>

> Anything like libcdio-cdda0 that is dragged in when installing gramps
> is from a dependency on one of the existing dependencies.
>
> The README file from 3.1.3 states the xdg-utils is required so I'll move
> it to being a dependency. The README has no mention of reportlab any more.
> Can it be removed?

Re: gramps package

> Recommends:
> graphviz
> python-enchant
> python-gtkspell
> python-reportlab
> ttf-freefont
> xdg-utils

You can remove "python-reportlab", was used for generating reports in
pdf file format. Now, should be done by cairo.

James A. Treacy a écrit :

> On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 12:19:18AM +0100, Benny Malengier wrote:
>> Treacy,
>
> Malengier,
> being rather formal using last names, aren't we?
>
>> Do you know if ubuntu package is still created based on your Debian definitions?
>> I ask because on kubuntu 9.10, installing gramps pulls in python2.5,
>> while python2.6 is fully supported.
>
> I have no idea whether the ubuntu package is based on my work. It
> should be as avoids duplicating work.
>
>> I installed official version so as to have the svg lib I was missing
>> for development, but it pulled in 91 Mb extra libraries.
>> Well, at least my icons are now correct, and spell check working, and
>> I have graphviz. :-)
>
> Here is the list of dependencies for the debian package of 3.1.3.
>
> Depends:
> python (2.5 or newer)
> librsvg2-common
> python-glade2
> python-gnome2
>
> Recommends:
> graphviz
> python-enchant
> python-gtkspell
> python-reportlab
> ttf-freefont
> xdg-utils
>
>> Perhaps interesting to know for upcoming 3.2:
>> * python-enchant also needed for spell check
>> * python 2.5 and higher in the python 2.x series, pygtk 2.12 and
>> higher, so no changes to Gramps 3.1
>> * libcdio-cdda0 should no longer be included as dependency if it is
>> direct. The direct write to cd is removed as a plugin. I guess gvfs
>> and company comes from the same thing.
>
> Anything like libcdio-cdda0 that is dragged in when installing gramps
> is from a dependency on one of the existing dependencies.
>
> The README file from 3.1.3 states the xdg-utils is required so I'll move
> it to being a dependency. The README has no mention of reportlab any more.
> Can it be removed?

Re: gramps package

Benny Malengier
2010/1/13 Jérôme <[hidden email]>:

>> Recommends:
>> graphviz
>> python-enchant
>> python-gtkspell
>> python-reportlab
>> ttf-freefont
>> xdg-utils
>
> You can remove "python-reportlab", was used for generating reports in pdf
> file format. Now, should be done by cairo.

James,

as others have said, python-reportlab is no longer needed, already so in 3.1.
In 3.2, also python glade bindings are no longer needed. I update the README

Actually, I now cannot recollect why we need python-gnome2. Anybody know?
Looking at http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=541560,
and the link http://wiki.debian.org/GnomePythonSplitting, I'm pretty
sure that the dependencies there (gconf, gnomevfs, gnome) are not
needed.

Benny

> James A. Treacy a écrit :
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 12:19:18AM +0100, Benny Malengier wrote:
>>>
>>> Treacy,
>>
>> Malengier,
>> being rather formal using last names, aren't we?
>>
>>> Do you know if ubuntu package is still created based on your Debian
>>> definitions?
>>> I ask because on kubuntu 9.10, installing gramps pulls in python2.5,
>>> while python2.6 is fully supported.
>>
>> I have no idea whether the ubuntu package is based on my work. It
>> should be as avoids duplicating work.
>>
>>> I installed official version so as to have the svg lib I was missing
>>> for development, but it pulled in 91 Mb extra libraries.
>>> Well, at least my icons are now correct, and spell check working, and
>>> I have graphviz. :-)
>>
>> Here is the list of dependencies for the debian package of 3.1.3.
>>
>> Depends:
>> python (2.5 or newer)
>> librsvg2-common
>> python-glade2
>> python-gnome2
>>
>> Recommends:
>> graphviz
>> python-enchant
>> python-gtkspell
>> python-reportlab
>> ttf-freefont
>> xdg-utils
>>
>>> Perhaps interesting to know for upcoming 3.2:
>>> * python-enchant also needed for spell check
>>> * python 2.5 and higher in the python 2.x series, pygtk 2.12 and
>>> higher, so no changes to Gramps 3.1
>>> * libcdio-cdda0 should no longer be included as dependency if it is
>>> direct. The direct write to cd is removed as a plugin. I guess gvfs
>>> and company comes from the same thing.
>>
>> Anything like libcdio-cdda0 that is dragged in when installing gramps
>> is from a dependency on one of the existing dependencies.
>>
>> The README file from 3.1.3 states the xdg-utils is required so I'll move
>> it to being a dependency. The README has no mention of reportlab any more.
>> Can it be removed?

Re: gramps package

Benny Malengier
Serge,

can you indicate what is needed now for GeoView, and update the README
file also to list that in the section: "The following packages are
*STRONGLY RECOMMENDED* to be installed "

I see here http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=452766
that python-gnome-extras has been split in Debian, so  python-gtkhtml2
or  python-gtkmozembed can be easily installed there. However, if you
say webkit is more stable, then list that, and add comment that
alternatively the gtkmozembed might be used.

Benny

2010/1/13 Benny Malengier <[hidden email]>:

> 2010/1/13 Jérôme <[hidden email]>:
>>> Recommends:
>>> graphviz
>>> python-enchant
>>> python-gtkspell
>>> python-reportlab
>>> ttf-freefont
>>> xdg-utils
>>
>> You can remove "python-reportlab", was used for generating reports in pdf
>> file format. Now, should be done by cairo.
>
> James,
>
> as others have said, python-reportlab is no longer needed, already so in 3.1.
> In 3.2, also python glade bindings are no longer needed. I update the README
>
> Actually, I now cannot recollect why we need python-gnome2. Anybody know?
> Looking at http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=541560,
> and the link http://wiki.debian.org/GnomePythonSplitting, I'm pretty
> sure that the dependencies there (gconf, gnomevfs, gnome) are not
> needed.
>
> Benny
>>

>> James A. Treacy a écrit :

>>> Malengier,
>>> being rather formal using last names, aren't we?

>>> I have no idea whether the ubuntu package is based on my work. It
>>> should be as avoids duplicating work.

>>> Here is the list of dependencies for the debian package of 3.1.3.
>>>
>>> Depends:
>>> python (2.5 or newer)
>>> librsvg2-common
>>> python-glade2
>>> python-gnome2
>>>
>>> Recommends:
>>> graphviz
>>> python-enchant
>>> python-gtkspell
>>> python-reportlab
>>> ttf-freefont
>>> xdg-utils

>>> Anything like libcdio-cdda0 that is dragged in when installing gramps
>>> is from a dependency on one of the existing dependencies.
>>>
>>> The README file from 3.1.3 states the xdg-utils is required so I'll move
>>> it to being a dependency. The README has no mention of reportlab any more.
>>> Can it be removed?

Re: gramps package

Jay Treacy
On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 10:09:04AM +0100, Benny Malengier wrote:
> Actually, I now cannot recollect why we need python-gnome2. Anybody know?
> Looking at http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=541560,
> and the link http://wiki.debian.org/GnomePythonSplitting, I'm pretty
> sure that the dependencies there (gconf, gnomevfs, gnome) are not
> needed.

The top of the TODO file has two relevant entries:
* Remove GCONF, provide up grade path - IN PROGRESS

* Replace the LPRDoc interface (based on gnome-print) with a GTK based
  print routine. This would remove one of the last gnome-specific
  libraries, and make portability better. Even more important, the
  gnome-print interface has been deprecated by the GNOME project, so it
  will not be around forever. We need to adapt to the new GTK method.
  - IN PROGRESS

searching for vfs in the source found:
src/Mime/_GnomeMime.py:    from gnomevfs import mime_get_short_list_applications, \
src/Mime/_GnomeMime.py:    from gnome.vfs import mime_get_short_list_applications, \

src/ThumbNails.py attempts to import gconf but gramps works without
it. Many po files contain strings containing gconf.

No occurrences of bonobo in the source
No occurrences of orbit in the source
No occurrences of lprdoc or gnome-print. Not sure what the correct
search string for this is though.

There is, of course, the attempt to load gnome in gramps.py. It
appears that with the exception of the code attempting to import vfs
(src/Mime/_GnomeMime.py) and gconf (src/ThumbNails.py) even this
reference to gnome could be removed. Are these two uses useful enough
to keep this extra code around?

python-gnome2 has a few other dependencies that I don't believe are
important: python-pyorbit libart-2.0-2 libice6 libpopt0 libsm6).
Unfortunately I am not currently in a position to create a bare bones
install so I can test gramps without all these extra packages.

So we are very close to removing every trace of gnome from gramps.

--
James Treacy