gramps problems on mac

n00b
about 3 months ago my 10.8.5 mac gramps install basically starting falling apart - no idea why but it was so unstable it told me it was removing pieces of my family tree.

yet it wasn't - i checked my tree in a different program and it was complete, whew!

i "uninstalled" and "reinstalled" gramps as "cleanly" as i could, using the maccleaner app.

or not so cleanly? the "new" install of gramps stalls at launch: it gets up to about 24k of memory usage and won't push past that. instead the gramps icon sits there eternally bouncing in the dock.

so i've completely(?) uninstalled it again, any ideas what's going wrong?

thanks in advance!

ps: now that i think about it, the gramps on mac was very crashy and gave out a lot of errors/frequently locked up the database. in using it on w7, i think i can make gramps crash by closing a libreoffice document when gramps is open.

Re: gramps problems on mac

John Ralls-2

> On Jul 24, 2016, at 1:07 PM, n00b <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> about 3 months ago my 10.8.5 mac gramps install basically starting falling
> apart - no idea why but it was so unstable it told me it was removing pieces
> of my family tree.
>
> yet it wasn't - i checked my tree in a different program and it was
> complete, whew!
>
> i "uninstalled" and "reinstalled" gramps as "cleanly" as i could, using the
> maccleaner app.
>
> or not so cleanly? the "new" install of gramps stalls at launch: it gets up
> to about 24k of memory usage and won't push past that. instead the gramps
> icon sits there eternally bouncing in the dock.
>
> so i've completely(?) uninstalled it again, any ideas what's going wrong?
>
> thanks in advance!
>
> ps: now that i think about it, the gramps on mac was very crashy and gave
> out a lot of errors/frequently locked up the database. in using it on w7, i
> think i can make gramps crash by closing a libreoffice document when gramps
> is open.

I can't help with the Win7 issues, but around the beginning of the year it became clear that Gtk+-3.16 was unstable on MacOS and I rolled back to 3.14 on the MacOS Gramps all-in-one bundles. The current one is https://sourceforge.net/projects/gramps/files/Stable/4.2.3/Gramps-Intel-4.2.3-2.dmg/download
I suggest that you use that.
If you still get crashes with that version please open a bug at https://gramps-project.org/bugs and attach a crash report, which you will find in /Applications/Utilities/Console under "User Diagnostic Reports".

Regards,
John Ralls

Re: gramps problems on mac

Tim Lyons
Administrator
John Ralls-2 wrote
I can't help with the Win7 issues, but around the beginning of the year it became clear that Gtk+-3.16 was unstable on MacOS and I rolled back to 3.14 on the MacOS Gramps all-in-one bundles. The current one is https://sourceforge.net/projects/gramps/files/Stable/4.2.3/Gramps-Intel-4.2.3-2.dmg/download
I suggest that you use that.
If you still get crashes with that version please open a bug at https://gramps-project.org/bugs and attach a crash report, which you will find in /Applications/Utilities/Console under "User Diagnostic Reports".

Regards,
John Ralls
John, I'm confused.

(1) Are we not now using github: https://github.com/gramps-project/gramps/releases for releases, rather than (e.g.) https://sourceforge.net/projects/gramps/files/Stable/4.2.3/  ?